IGNORED

A viable SSHD for the TI?

Omega-TI

Since it's highly doubtful that anyone will ever create a dedicated SSHD interface for the TI, I've been looking to the future and possible alternatives in a future upgrade. I've found various "DISK ON MODULES" that are designed to functionally replace existing mechanical units as direct plug-in replacements. So I was wondering, has anyone here ever plugged one of these into a Myarc HFDC and gotten to work properly? I love my HDX, and will continue to use it into the future, but it would be nice to 'cut the umbilical' so to speak.

Here are some photos of different models I've seen...

transcend_2gb_44pin.jpg

470017459_284.JPG

disk-on-module-512-mb-ide.jpg

• Like 1

Those would work fine with the ide controller

Huh? An IDE controller? Did I miss something? That sounds really cool, and something more to add to the list. Now I need to ask the $64K questions, are these readily and easily obtainable in a plug-in and ready to go configuration? If so, how much do they go for and where or from whom do I order?

Huh? An IDE controller? Did I miss something? That sounds really cool, and something more to add to the list. Now I need to ask the $64K questions, are these readily and easily obtainable in a plug-in and ready to go configuration? If so, how much do they go for and where or from whom do I order?

http://www.mainbyte.com/ti99/hardware/peb/ide_card.html

http://nouspikel.group.shef.ac.uk/ti99/ide2.htm

There are a few people selling them, not cheap lots of work was done to make them work as they are SMT which is hard on old eyes to get soldered without a flow-soldering system.

Greg

• Like 1

There are a few people selling them, not cheap lots of work was done to make them work as they are SMT which is hard on old eyes to get soldered without a flow-soldering system.

Well son of a B, and an RTC to boot! Great post Greg. I've saved the information for future use. Since I dropped two bills on my TI last week, this will have to wait a while, but it's now on my radar and list. Thanks again!

• Like 1

You can even use this device with a SCSI card (but not an HFDC as that is MFM encoding), but you will need a SCSI-to-IDE bridge. You will also need an IDE-to-CF adapter. The bridge and adapter are not cheap, so if you get those in addition to the card you're looking in the neighborhood of $400-450 I would say.

BTW, here is another link to a recent thread which may be helpful:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/227871-ez135/?hl=%2Bscsi&do=findComment&comment=3036303

Edited by Mad Hatter

You can even use this device with a SCSI card (but not an HFDC as that is MFM encoding), but you will need a SCSI-to-IDE bridge. You will also need an IDE-to-CF adapter. The bridge and adapter are not cheap, so if you get those in addition to the card you're looking in the neighborhood of $400-450 I would say.

BTW, here is another link to a recent thread which may be helpful:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/227871-ez135/?hl=%2Bscsi&do=findComment&comment=3036303

I did this on my amiga 2000, scsi-ide bridge -> ide-cf adapter -> cf to sd adapter -> sd to micro sd adapter.. works! faster than the old scsi drive too..and like 10x the size

• Like 1

On my Amiga 4000 I have a 68-pin SCSI to IDE adapter with a DVD-RW. On my Amiga 1200 I have an 8GB 44-pin DOM (and I have nine others which I am prepping to sell.) On my Axil 320 SparcStation-20 clone I have a narrow (50-pin) SCSI to SATA adapter with a 64GB SSD. I have given up on CF cards, but for devices which still use them I have found a few microSD-CF adapters that work well.

• Like 1