IGNORED

Anyone have a good source for floppy disks?

ryanmercer

Best price I've found via a cursory Goole search is http://floppydisk.com/5point25.htm (60 cents each before shipping) anyone know a cheaper source?

Wouldn't mind having 100 or so (for now) for putting homebrew stuff on and for doing my own thing on via my 800xl.

I'm sure B&C and Best have them. I have a Best catalog and 100 Bulk 5 1/4" for $17 and 100 5 1/4" sleeves for $4. This catalog is old.

You can check Best at 408-243-6950 1:30PM - 5:30PM Pacific time. www.best-electronics-ca.com

B&C is www.myatari.com you can get phone number there. (B&C 530-295-9270).

Both probably have a $20 or so minimum order.

B&C (myatari) also sells via ebay.

then there's video61 probably has them

Edited by russg

Generally, the going rate is $0.60 to $1.25 per floppy. If you want 100 of them, it'll cost you. 5.25" floppies really aren't made in massive quantities anymore. Hell, 3.5" floppies take some work to find sometimes.

If you want to go cheap, you can get a bulk lot of USED floppy disks on ebay. You might only spend $0.30 to $0.60 per disk then.

Basically.... floppies are obsolete AND consumable wear items. This makes them expensive. 30 new floppies would buy you an SIO2SD.

30 new floppies would buy you an SIO2SD.

Have one, want floppies heh (and that's how I'll get images over to them anyway heh). Playing games via the SIO2SD is just stupid to me, might as well not even have the hardware and just use an emulator on an RPi at that point.

Have one, want floppies heh (and that's how I'll get images over to them anyway heh). Playing games via the SIO2SD is just stupid to me, might as well not even have the hardware and just use an emulator on an RPi at that point.

That makes absolutely zero sense. Floppy drives are mechanical devices that are 30-ish years old now, at the youngest. They WILL wear out, blow a power supply, burn up or scramble a chip/EEPROM, etc. Similarly, floppies are temperamental, slow, and subject to magnetic scrambling.

Besides, with any decent peripheral emulator for a modern computer, you can have literally EVERY floppy release ever made for A8 computers only a couple of mouse-clicks away. You'll never realistically ever accumulate that many physical disks, let alone have space to organize and store them all. In addition, peripheral emulators generally let you also boot .XEX files and the like - there are a TON of cart-conversions in .XEX format. So again, since most people come nowhere near to every accumulating that many physical cartridges, the SIO2PC device opens up another whole world of useful programs and games they would otherwise never get to enjoy.

• Like 1

That makes absolutely zero sense. Floppy drives are mechanical devices that are 30-ish years old now, at the youngest. They WILL wear out, blow a power supply, burn up or scramble a chip/EEPROM, etc. Similarly, floppies are temperamental, slow, and subject to magnetic scrambling.

Besides, with any decent peripheral emulator for a modern computer, you can have literally EVERY floppy release ever made for A8 computers only a couple of mouse-clicks away. You'll never realistically ever accumulate that many physical disks, let alone have space to organize and store them all. In addition, peripheral emulators generally let you also boot .XEX files and the like - there are a TON of cart-conversions in .XEX format. So again, since most people come nowhere near to every accumulating that many physical cartridges, the SIO2PC device opens up another whole world of useful programs and games they would otherwise never get to enjoy.

It makes plenty of sense...

Why buy a Rolex when an Indian knock off is 100$.

Why buy a classic car when a kit-car is a fraction of the price.

Why buy a Polo brand polo shirt when you can get a 5$ polo-style shirt.

Why eat filet mignon when you can get ground chuck cheaper, both are cow.

Why? Because I want to, because I intend on buying ALL of the titles I want in the original format, because I only want floppies for stuff I write or homebrew stuff. Why? Becuase I like authenticity. If I just wanted nostalgic entertainment I'd play atari on an emulator.

I shave with razors older than me (Rolls Razor) despite there being far far better modern solutions because I like the novelty of it.

My daily driver has a 300hp 3.8L V6, but a modern Smart car with a 1L 53hp 3-cylinder engine would be far cheaper and more efficient

Tarantino writes all of his scripts by hands, he doesn't use a typewriter or computer which would be far more efficient

George R. R. Martin writes his books on a old DOS box with WordStar, there are far better software packages for writing these days...

Some people LIKE doing things different ways, vintage ways, original ways. I have the funds to buy cartridges and original games on floppy, I have the funds to buy floppies for homebrew stuff of my own and of others. I didn't say YOU had to buy floppies and use them, I simply asked if anyone has found a better price on them as everyone likes saving a little money.

As far as them being mechanical and wearing out... hmm I could say the same about my 70 Chevelle... when I got tired of it I sold it for about 7k$ profit and drove it for a few years... I mean it was just an old car who would ever want to use a 45 year old automobile. My 67 c-10 I sold for TWICE what I paid for it a year after I bought it and put 8-9k miles on... that guy that bought it from me must have been insane, at the time it was a 39 year old pickup that never even had power steering OR power brakes... man it makes no sense at all someone would want that!

• Like 4

As an FYI for anyone interested in the disks at http://floppydisk.com/ I have some information to share.

These disks were purchased in bulk from Athana who make them for legacy government use. In 2011 I was emailing back and forth with a contact from Athana and advised these disks are a year old (so manufactured sometime in 2010) they are high quality and well worth the purchase. If you buy directly from Athana they cost $10.50 per 10 plus S&H... floppydisk.com has the exact same disks in bulk at 50 for $39.99. I am not sure how big a purchase you would need to get such a discount from Athana direct.

I would heavily recommend these disks over used or NOS that could be 20 years old or more.

The only gotcha is you don't get sleeves, but 50 is only an extra $5

• Like 4

As an FYI for anyone interested in the disks at http://floppydisk.com/ I have some information to share.

These disks were purchased in bulk from Athana who make them for legacy government use. In 2011 I was emailing back and forth with a contact from Athana and advised these disks are a year old (so manufactured sometime in 2010) they are high quality and well worth the purchase. If you buy directly from Athana they cost $10.50 per 10 plus S&H... floppydisk.com has the exact same disks in bulk at 50 for $39.99. I am not sure how big a purchase you would need to get such a discount from Athana direct.

I would heavily recommend these disks over used or NOS that could be 20 years old or more.

The only gotcha is you don't get sleeves, but 50 is only an extra $5

Brilliant! I'll just stick with them then.

I've had very good luck with NOS lots on ebay. I think there's a guy selling sealed cases of 50 3M disks right now.

Everything I use is old too. ;) My car is from 1963, hunting rifle from 1899, socket set from 1930's...

Yeah, I've become that way more and more. Often it's a choice between something new that's designed to last a couple years or something old that can be maintained forever.

• Like 3

I'm still using them!

Am I right in thinking (all?) the moden storage solutions do not support ATR images, which means you miss out on tons of boot games?

;)

• Like 1

I'm still using them!

Am I right in thinking (all?) the moden storage solutions do not support ATR images, which means you miss out on tons of boot games?

;)

Um, no.. You're not right in thinking that at all. To the contrary, they all support them just fine. Further, the Atarimax ProSystem software lets you create .ATRs from actual floppy disks too. I've imaged all my old disks for the sake of posterity.

• Like 2

This guy has a decent deal on them:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221332760116?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Those come out to just under $0.78 each after shipping. Yes, they say SS/DD on them, but we pretty much know that the only difference between SS/DD and DS/DD are the labels. :-o

Either have a notcher ready or be really handy with a hole punch! ;)

Then again, yes, you would be dealing with NOS...

Edited by Muzz73
  • Like 1

Yeah, I've become that way more and more. Often it's a choice between something new that's designed to last a couple years or something old that can be maintained forever.

It's also a living. My job is to maintain steel weaving machines from the 1950's that are still being used today.

• Like 3

Try these:

http://www.oldsoftware.com/floppy_disks.html

http://www.athana.com/html/diskette.html

http://www.floppydisk.com/

and for the Austrian guys, here is a source from Germany:

http://www.vesalia.de/d_525disks.htm

(these disks have two index holes, thus one can flip over and format side B even with an XF551 floppydrive)

Sleeves ? Try this sleeve once uploaded by a kind AA member:

Disk_Sleeve.zip

Edited by CharlieChaplin
  • Like 3