IGNORED

Speech Demo Cart

sjt

I was having some fun playing with speech on the TI and threw together a speech demo cartridge of some LPC data I was working on.

This could be added to a multicart, run as a 8k eprom cartridge , put in a supercart or run under win99 (file included) as a cartridge.

It should run with just the console, speech synthesizer and programmed cartridge (eprom/multicart/supercart)

Steve

SPEECHDEMO1.ZIP

Edited by sjt
  • Like 1

Nice. :thumbsup:

I could only get it to work with Win994a. Classic99 and MESS garbles all the way.

I did some experimenting several years ago (using the Qboxpro) and if you watch and/or manipulate/dampen "the spikes" it can get quite good. I gotta have speech in at least one of my future games.

I'm not exactly sure how one gets the TI "singing", and I think I exchanged notes with the guy over at niceandgames. Anyways here's a few demos ...

:)

• Like 1

I'm not exactly sure how one gets the TI "singing", and I think I exchanged notes with the guy over at niceandgames. Anyways here's a few demos ...

I had TI SINGS back in the day, it uses the TE2 cartridge which includes commands for adjusting the pitch and slope of the spoken words, and that's what it does, tweaking the pitch (and slope IIRC) of each word, as well as using phonetic spelling to get the intended result (for instance for those LOOOOOOOOOONG words ;) ).

• Like 1

So, now back from vacation I had a chance to test SPEECHDEMO on MESS. Words are well understandable (no garbling, but I presume a reasonably recent MESS version, of course), but could sound a bit better. I'll try it on my real Geneve with boxed speech synthesizer later. The TMS5200 emulation in MESS has proved to be almost perfect so far; would be interesting to see if we have an issue here.

Here's the RPK for use in MESS.

[Edit: "Shall we play a game" is not understandable, but the others are]

speechdemo.rpk

Edited by mizapf

I did a test on "real iron", that is, on my Geneve with the speech synthesizer plugged into the P-Box on my selfmade adapter. The result is pretty similar to the output of MESS. In particular, the phrase "Shall we play a game" is not understandable. All speech samples were recorded on the attached file (using my tablet as a voice recorder).

I don't have Win994a; does it produce other output?

speech.wav

Oh dear, ancient 16 bit code from dark Win 3.1 times ...

But it seems as if the source code is included, so maybe some Windows experts here could try to rebuild it for current platforms.

Source is included? I didn't have source in the download I got ages ago, is there a newer download? I'd be happy to take a stab at it, on my machine I've had to run it under DOSBox.

I thought the ASM files were source code files of Qbox.

-rw-r--r-- 1 michael users  51349  9. Jan 1997  D610_10.ASM
-rw-r--r-- 1 michael users  51194  9. Jan 1997  D610_12.ASM
-rw-r--r-- 1 michael users  51347  9. Jan 1997  D68_10.ASM
-rw-r--r-- 1 michael users  51192  9. Jan 1997  D68_12.ASM
-rw-r--r-- 1 michael users   4646 13. Mär 1997  D6RAD.COD
-rw-r--r-- 1 michael users  63384 24. Mär 1997  downsmp.dll
-rw-r--r-- 1 michael users   2055 15. Okt 2004  install.log
-rw-r--r-- 1 michael users  16384  3. Feb 1997  KIT52_10.BIN
-rw-r--r-- 1 michael users  16384  3. Feb 1997  KIT52_8.BIN
-rw-r--r-- 1 michael users  16384 30. Dez 1996  QBOXPR10.BIN
-rw-r--r-- 1 michael users  16384 30. Dez 1996  QBOXPR8.BIN
-rw-r--r-- 1 michael users 569013 24. Mär 1997  QBOXPRO.EXE
-rw-r--r-- 1 michael users   1427 28. Okt 2004  QBOXPRO.INI
-rw-r--r-- 1 michael users   8628  1. Dez 2004  qboxqboxpro.GID
-rw-r--r-- 1 michael users 148659 21. Mär 1997  qboxQBOXPRO.HLP
-rw-r--r-- 1 michael users   3184 11. Nov 1996  QV5220.COD
-rw-r--r-- 1 michael users   5120  8. Jan 1997  readme.wri
drwxr-xr-x 2 michael users   4096  1. Jan 1970  SAMPLPRO
-rw-r--r-- 1 michael users 189488 21. Mär 1997  SAMPLPRO.HLP

Those appear to be playback routines. I looked at them too.

I didn't know what processor they are for, though, they are not Intel. Googling the "TSP50C10" in the header pointed me to http://www.ti.com/lit/ml/spss011d/spss011d.pdf -- which describes a programmable speech synthesizer chip. So very interesting!

The TSP50C0x/1x family of speech synthesizers offer cost-effective solutions

for high-volume applications. Each incorporates a built in microprocessor that

allows music as well as speech capability. Texas Instruments offers five sizes

of internal ROM for up to three minutes of speech. In addition, the devices can

be interfaced to external speech memory.

But no, nothing for the encoder.

This chip was mounted in a small module that was put into many devices for the blind.

Handheld readers that were portable and the time that plugged into wall socket for use at library.

Even was one of the first chips used for text to speech translator.

• 7 years later...
On 8/17/2014 at 3:24 PM, Tursi said:

I had TI SINGS back in the day, it uses the TE2 cartridge which includes commands for adjusting the pitch and slope of the spoken words, and that's what it does, tweaking the pitch (and slope IIRC) of each word, as well as using phonetic spelling to get the intended result (for instance for those LOOOOOOOOOONG words ;) ).

I fount out that, from Terminal emulator 2 cartridge, opening SPEECH as output, speech module accepts escape codes such as "//n", wehere n can be a number from 0 and upwards (0 makes kind of an evil voice)

• Like 3