IGNORED

SIO2BT

TheMontezuma

Hello Together,

SIO2BT project consist of hardware and software related to the wireless Bluetooth communication between the 8-bit Atari computers and emulated SIO devices.

Since the project was submitted to the ABBUC Hardware Contest 2014, I can't tell you much about it yet.

For now just a short video:

Cheers

Montezuma

• Like 16

Cool... if the price is right this could become the predominant SIO upgrade. I have a second cheap smartphone just gathering dust that could be serving up Atari files.

^THIS. I have every phone I've ever had (hell my pagers too). Would be a great use for them, a lot better than using a netbook.

• Like 1

Nice! Are you running a sio peripheral emulator that uses Bluetooth on your mobile? Will that software be available?

Yes. It is an Android App running on Android 2.2 or higher. I tested it even with Nexus 5, too :)

The software and the hardware will come together.

Cool... if the price is right this could become the predominant SIO upgrade. I have a second cheap smartphone just gathering dust that could be serving up Atari files.

The price will be definitely fair. The most expensive part will still be your smartphone ;-)

The ABBUC contest will take place on 25.10.2014. Until then (according to the contest rules) neither it can be offered nor technical details can be published.

• Like 2

If you use a PC, there is no big advantage of bluetooth instead of a cable, but yes, I have implemented an extension for the AspeQt for Bluetooth (I will send it to atari8warez after ABBUC deadline).

That sounds great, have you been able to use high-speed I/O in your implementation? I was able to use a BT module at 19200 bps but anything over that didn't work (or maybe I couldn't make it work) so I've abandoned the project. BT is very nice in avoiding more cables on the desk but in my case I preferred hi-speed over convenience.

Edited by atari8warez

If you use a PC, there is no big advantage of bluetooth instead of a cable, but yes, I have implemented an extension for the AspeQt for Bluetooth (I will send it to atari8warez after ABBUC deadline).

Elimination of wires; it's a big enough advantage for me. Also there's a limit on how far you can string a USB connection for some devices.

Hello Marcin

Will an iOS version be(come) available?

Sincerely

Mathy

No. I didn't want to double my efforts and investments so I decided to support only one platform.

However I targeted Android 2.2 so everyone can buy a cheap smartphone just for that purpose :)

That sounds great, have you been able to use high-speed I/O in your implementation? I was able to use a BT module at 19200 bps but anything over that didn't work (or maybe I couldn't make it work) so I've abandoned the project. BT is very nice in avoiding more cables on the desk but in my case I preferred hi-speed over convenience.

No. As you can hear in the video - it is only 19200.

Hi Marcin!

SIO2BT project consist of hardware and software related to the wireless Bluetooth communication between the 8-bit Atari computers and emulated SIO devices.

Just awesome! I'm glad you got it working so nicely!

A quick question: did you somehow get around the timeout/delay issue or do you have to use a patched ROM in the Atari? Also, does it work with other "real" SIO peripherals connected (in highspeed SIO mode)?

so long & my admirations for your great work,

Hias

Hi Marcin!

Just awesome! I'm glad you got it working so nicely!

A quick question: did you somehow get around the timeout/delay issue or do you have to use a patched ROM in the Atari? Also, does it work with other "real" SIO peripherals connected (in highspeed SIO mode)?

so long & my admirations for your great work,

Hias

Hi Matthias,

Thanks for nice words.

SIO2BT does not support SIO high-speed. Only 19200.

Changes in the OS (SIO timeouts) were necessary, but with small set of patching atr files that are part of the project, it is possible (with some compatibility restrictions) to use SIO2BT with an original, not modified Atari (SIO2BT is small enough to fit into a SIO plug).

post-29824-0-23510600-1408452943_thumb.jpg

Regards

Marcin

• Like 2

You'd have too much trouble getting anything past Apple for iOS anyway, they'll see that it supports roms and they likely wouldn't let it into the store. But yeah, used android phones are a dime a dozen on eBay and android devices (mostly generic tablets) on http://www.aliexpress.com/

You can get past them, if you are smart, i.e. let the user only upload atr to the iphone via itunes.

• Like 2

You can get past them, if you are smart, i.e. let the user only upload atr to the iphone via itunes.

Yes but why bother being on hardware that doesn't want you? I mean, don't get me wrong... my personal phone has always been iPhone since the original and I prefer iOS hands down (I use an android too daily as my small business phone but meh don't care for it). But you can get android devices for 20-50$ that would be more than adequate for being a nice little dedicated unit for your Atari(s).

• Like 2

Yes but why bother being on hardware that doesn't want you? I mean, don't get me wrong... my personal phone has always been iPhone since the original and I prefer iOS hands down (I use an android too daily as my small business phone but meh don't care for it). But you can get android devices for 20-50$ that would be more than adequate for being a nice little dedicated unit for your Atari(s).

First off, I want to say this is a really cool project and I'm excited to try it!

I'm both an iOS and Android user and have considerable experience on both platforms. My personal bias is towards iOS but I think both platforms have their strengths and weaknesses.

The primary reason I'd suggest supporting iOS as well as Android -- the iOS Bluetooth stack is WAY more stable than the Android one if we're talking Android versions as far back as 2.2. This is especially apparent with regards to Bluetooth LE even in the latest Android releases (although I assume this project is Bluetooth Classic given that it is supporting Android 2.2). I speak from experience on this :-)

However, I wouldn't go so far as requiring iTunes to get disk images to the phone. A number of apps allow you to run an embedded web server directly on the phone for purposes of uploading files. The Z-machine interpreter "Frotz" comes to mind as an example of a released app that can take "ROMs" in this manner so I don't think getting such an app into the App Store will be an issue.

When this becomes public, I'd consider helping out and porting it to iOS if there is desire to do so.

Edited by Farb
  • Like 1

When this becomes public, I'd consider helping out and porting it to iOS if there is desire to do so.

I'd want to see an iOS version if someone else was up to creating a solution when this ends up as a for-sale product. In a month I'll have my 5 doing nothing, my 4 is already doing nothing, my 3GS is used as my work podcast iPod heh. Previous versions just get their battery topped off every few weeks and kept sitting in a drawer.

Hello guys

I used an Android phone before I bought an iPhone out of pure frustration (over Android and Sony's service center). So I wouldn't have to buy one. But if I'd have to drag along a second phone, what would be the advantage over dragging along any other device?

Sincerely

Mathy

I don't see, that iOS devices don't want me.

And I don't see, why I should bother to buy an Android device just to run an disk emulator.

I have enough electronic stuff lying around that I don't use anymore. Cheap is not the answer for everything.

Sorry to say, but Apple does not even support the SPP Bluetooth profile:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3647

I was not aware of it before, since I was not interested in iOS platform.

At the moment the iOS implementation would not be even possible.

Edited by TheMontezuma