IGNORED

SIO2BT

TheMontezuma

This is GREAT! It works indeed!

Still one feature request... wouldn't it be cool if you could set a default directory in the APP where you store your XEX-files (and perhaps even to support folders) and you could browse the content(s) of this default directory through that Xbios tool? Just something like the APE-Mirror feature...

Perhaps I'm asking too much... even without that feature this Sio2BT gadget is really amazing. I'm very happy with it.

• Like 1

This is GREAT! It works indeed!

Still one feature request... wouldn't it be cool if you could set a default directory in the APP where you store your XEX-files (and perhaps even to support folders) and you could browse the content(s) of this default directory through that Xbios tool? Just something like the APE-Mirror feature...

Perhaps I'm asking too much... even without that feature this Sio2BT gadget is really amazing. I'm very happy with it.

Whenever you mount a file, the SIO2BT app stores its directory as a current directory.

It should be easy to select a new xex file for D2 with a smartphone (the content of the same directory where the previously loaded game was located will be displayed).

I will consider support for mounting directories, but it's not planned to introduce remote control over mounting files from ATARI (like it is possible with SIO2SD and the configurator).

Edited by TheMontezuma

I'm fine with the way it is now, although I do not understand why you won't go for it...

Booting the XBIOS disk on Sio2BT and then the Atari would show a list of all the .XEX files in a certain directory (including directories to pick) which you could select like in a menu to boot.

I think that would be an awesome feature, which a lot of people would appreciate.

But let me repeat: I'm fine with the way it is now! I have been playing around with it tonight and it works really really well. Even on a longer distance, which makes it even cooler.

Montezuma, are there any left as I may want to order a second one to install with my Incognito in my 800?

Yes, they are still some left. The cost (due to exchange ratio $<->€) has dropped a little bit and is now 29$ (with shipping).

I will send you my paypal addresse via PM.

I'm fine with the way it is now, although I do not understand why you won't go for it...

Booting the XBIOS disk on Sio2BT and then the Atari would show a list of all the .XEX files in a certain directory (including directories to pick) which you could select like in a menu to boot.

I will try to explain the background.

In order to support it, SIO2BT app would need to understand an extended API that would allow for browsing through the file system, mounting files, etc.

(and this API would need to be used by the loader application on the ATARI side).

The implementation effort in case of devices which have no user interface at all (like SIDE2) or very confusing user interface (like K1-K5 on SIO2SD) is justified.

However smartphones with big displays and touch functionality offer much more comfortable user interface and I do not see any need to duplicate file browsing and selection functionality.

And last but not least - the XBIOS loader is just one option to use SIO2BT with. If you use a patched OS, you do not need any loader at all.

Edited by TheMontezuma
  • Like 1

Inspired by ProWizard, who considered building SIO2BT into a 1050 floppy drive, I decided to experiment with a SIO2SD built into an enclosure of the ATARI 1010.
At the end, I made a COMBO device: SIO2SD+BT

post-29824-0-46149200-1428088725_thumb.jpg

External 5V DC Power Supply is used to power the BT module even when the ATARI is switched off.
Alternatively the BT module can be powered from SIO (like SIO2SD).
A nice effect is that the SIO2SD displays current SIO commands on the display (for SIO2BT communication as well).

Edited by TheMontezuma
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

I updated the SIO2BT manual (v2.2):

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3-191R-U_S1blpUTFBsRW1iRUE

The new version covers the wiring diagram for SIO2SD+BT combo device.

post-29824-0-44375000-1430852433.png

post-29824-0-64517200-1430852458_thumb.jpg

I have realized that users can optimize loading of the XBIOS Loader for Bluetooth by loading it from SIO2SD.

You can mount XBIOS4BT_700.atr as a virtual disk V1 on SIO2SD and swap on demand D1 and V1 with the key combination SHIFT+K3.

Games can mounted on the smartphone as D2.

Edited by TheMontezuma

Sio2BT was my life saver yesterday.

I was doing some experiments while I was not at home with my IDE+ 2.0 interface. I downgraded to an older version of the BIOS to test some things.

But then I really HAD to upgrade back to the latest Bios, which I now couldn't load anymore from my CF card, since that one was unreadable.

I thought: oh my god... how to fix this.

Luckily I had my Sio2BT with me; I wanted to show this to someone.

I downloaded the firmware from my dropbox which I can connect with my mobile phone.

The firmware is a flasher-and-firmware in one. So I did run it from the XBIOS, and it worked (!!!!!!!)

I was backup running. Simply thanks to the Sio2BT!

I really wanted to share this cool and real story with you all.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Hi!

I am testing my new SIO2BT, using my Linux notebook, and noticed some problems with the included sio2bsd-bt. I like command line tools, so I fixed them :)

* Fixed the "Makefile" to allow compilation on newer gcc toolchains.

* Allowed ATR images with less than 7 sectors. (useful to mount the included XBIOS ATR).

* Allowed opening read-only image files (I store the ATR images as read-only to avoid writing by mistake).

* Updated the default serial port to rfcomm0.

Attached is the full source and the 4 patches.

As I don't really want to modify my 800XL, I use it like:

- Load the sio2bsd-bt program with the images (XBIOS + the image want to load),

- turn on my atari keeping the RESET key pressed, to disallow booting,

- wait for the led on the board to stop blinking,

- optionally press OPTION and stop pressing RESET.

This works most of the times :)

sio2bsd-bt-2015-07-09.tar.gz

sio2bsd-bt-patches.tar.gz

• 1 month later...

Hi Everybody,

I have not abandoned the project and have some news for you ;-)

I wanted to share a link with you to a SIO2BT project fan page (for those who prefer Facebook as a communication channel):

https://www.facebook.com/Sio2bt

The big update comes now.

I'm working on the networking functionality, which is currently in the test phase.

To give you a picture of what you can expect, you may look at the JAVA tutorial about sockets:

https://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/networking/sockets/

You will find there examples of a server and a client telling the "Knock Knock" jokes, like that:

Server: "Knock knock!"
Client: "Who's there?"
Server: "Dexter."
Client: "Dexter who?"
Server: "Dexter halls with boughs of holly."

I have defined the (SIO) API for a new "NETWORKING" device that will allow ATARI to open/close a TCP/IP connection and to read/write data over a socket.

The whole TCP/IP business is running on the smartphone. The solution supports IP4 and IP6 (since JAVA API is independent of the underlying layers).

As soon as it is tested I will update documentation and the SIO2BT app, so everybody will get new functionality with the upcoming App update.

The pictures below show the ATARI used as a "Knock Knock Client":

https://goo.gl/photos/f4sYjWweNXiAao2A8

In the next days I will start an ordering thread for SIO2BT. I got some SIO plugs and will be able to offer you SIO2BT dongles (beside the SIO2BT kits).

Cheers

Montezuma

• Like 4

Will you implement R: Internet support like APE has? That seems more useful and standard, as the type of extension you are speaking of would only be in your app (unless it gets implemented as a standard of sorts and other people pick it up too.)

Not that I'm trying to discourage you at all!

Edited by Shawn Jefferson

It would be amazing to have an RVERTER like driver for the Sio2BT that would run on a stock atari (not a special OS needed).

So using Sio2BT + Smartphone would make it possible to establish a telnet connection in Bobterm, so it will be possible to visit BBS's with this setup.

• Like 1

Will you implement R: Internet support like APE has? That seems more useful and standard, as the type of extension you are speaking of would only be in your app (unless it gets implemented as a standard of sorts and other people pick it up too.)

Not that I'm trying to discourage you at all!

It would be amazing to have an RVERTER like driver for the Sio2BT that would run on a stock atari (not a special OS needed).

So using Sio2BT + Smartphone would make it possible to establish a telnet connection in Bobterm, so it will be possible to visit BBS's with this setup.

I understand the expectations. Technically it is possible and I have it on my "to do" list (I have already bought one ATARI 850 to play with it and to understand the way it works).

The networking 'N' device is actually more flexible than the emulated "R device" in APE.

With 'N' device you may adapt and compile a telnet client, so it can run on the ATARI (like in CONTIKI).

So if the only wish is to visit BBS's, it should be possible without emulating R device.

Emulation of the "R device" (with builtin telnet client proxy, as in APE) on the smartphone would be helpful if you like to use existing terminal software (like Bobterm, etc.).

At the moment, the 'N' device is interesting mainly to the software developers (like Veronica cart, etc.).

You may take look at the draft document presenting the 'N' device API (at the SIO level):

Networking.pdf

I'd like two.

Please wait, I will create a seperate thread for ordering.

Edited by TheMontezuma
  • Like 3

Sio2BT was my life saver yesterday.

I was doing some experiments while I was not at home with my IDE+ 2.0 interface. I downgraded to an older version of the BIOS to test some things.

But then I really HAD to upgrade back to the latest Bios, which I now couldn't load anymore from my CF card, since that one was unreadable.

I thought: oh my god... how to fix this.

Luckily I had my Sio2BT with me; I wanted to show this to someone.

I downloaded the firmware from my dropbox which I can connect with my mobile phone.

The firmware is a flasher-and-firmware in one. So I did run it from the XBIOS, and it worked (!!!!!!!)

I was backup running. Simply thanks to the Sio2BT!

I really wanted to share this cool and real story with you all.

What android device are you using and is there a preferred android device to use with this software.. TOTALLY NEWBE about anything android I have heard that there are phones and tablets but which would me most appropriate if I decide to buy a SIO2BT dongle.

Any Android Phone or Tablet with a Bluetooth module and Android 2.1 (or higher) will do.

That means virtually every device.

You may also like to use an Android Phone as a (DLNA) Media Player, Internet Radio, Web Browser, etc.

Greblus is working on the AspeQt port for Android. And last but not least "Colleen" app is the atari800 based emulator running on Android.

For the last two features you will need a phone with "OTG" (on the go) functionality (USB host port).

There are also some other reasons (beside SIO2BT) to give Android a try :).

I personally use "Nexus 5" from Google, but I tested many older phones and they all worked well with SIO2BT.

• Like 1