IGNORED

SIO2BT

TheMontezuma

Networking update in on the way to you :)

You can update the SIO2BT app in Google Play (version 2.00).

Documentation and a software example demonstrating networking capabilities is here.

I checked if the networking DEVID ($4E) is not used by other (known) SIO devices and I hope I didn't miss anything.

The SIO Networking Device support is not active per default, so there is no way to accidently generate any costs (related to data transfer) for you.

To enable device, please go to the app settings, where you find a checkbox for it.

Activating the SIO networking device does not affect your smartphone WI-FI / Data Transfer settings.

If you enabled SIO networking, but the smartphone has no network connection, the app will never try to activate network connection in your smartphone.

The SIO communication to the networking SIO device will still take place (indicated by a blinking icon), but the ATARI will simply get the status about missing network availability.

I'm going to learn more about CIO, ATARI 850 and telnet protocol in the near future.

I hope to be able to provide support for CIO device handlers (for 'N' and 'R' devices).

Please feel free to ask any questions / wishes.

Edited by TheMontezuma
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

In the meantime, small updates:

1) SIO2BT app version 2.10 supports APE TIME Device

2) I removed from the manual warnings about using ATARI and SIO2BT without active Bluetooth connection.

It turned out that it is completely safe.

Even if data sent over SIO to other devices would accidently contain a valid configuration string, it would not mess up the BT module

(the key is a timing - BT modules react on the configuration strings only if there is small pause on a serial line before sending them).

• 1 month later...

I would like to see the cold boot key sequence added to the patching program so the resulting OS file for BT could be cold started without turning the computer off and loosing the BT connection.

Hi rdea6,

thank you for this great idea.

I studied the discussion at AtariAge:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/244812-coldstart-without-power-off-and-cartridge-hardware-mods/

and I added SHIFT+RESET key combination (for triggering a cold start) to the XL/XE ATARI OS BT patch.

Under the same link as usual:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3-191R-U_S1blpUTFBsRW1iRUE

You will find updated Sio2BT Manual and updated SIO2BT_OS_Patcher.jar tool (for patching OS).

For your convenience I also uploaded a patched XL ROM: btroms.7z.txt

In the manual I also cover now EPROM based OS switches. I explain how the SIO2BT power switch can be used for switching OS, etc.

Regards

Montezuma

Edited by TheMontezuma
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...

Hi,

the new version (2.30) of the SIO2BT requires a new permission:

ACCESS_COARSE_LOCATION

This is required since Android 6.0 to support searching for BT devices from the app.

More info:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/33142034/android-6-bluetooth

https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=190188

https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=189090

Regards

Montezuma

• 1 month later...

Inspired by TheEditor I created a short manual on how to use SIO2BT with the Raspberry Pi:

1) Buy a generic USB Bluetooth dongle (for Raspberry Pi)

2) Prepare a SD card with Raspbian Jessie

3) Download and setup the RespeQt (as described here)

4) Install the Bluetooth software, by typing the following command in a terminal window:

sudo apt-get install bluetooth bluez blueman

3) Start the Bluetooth Manager (from Preferences Menu) and search for devices

4) Pair with your SIO2BT

5) Type in a terminal window:

sudo rfcomm bind /dev/rfcomm0 98:D3:31:B0:95:A7

(you have to replace the Bluetooth address with your SIO2BT address - as displayed in the Bluetooth Manager)

This has to be done every time you power on the Raspberry Pi, since the automatic way with /etc/bluetooth/rfcomm.conf file does not work on Rasbian Jessie.

6) Start RespeQt and change the device name to /dev/rfcomm0 and handshake to SOFTWARE (SIO2BT).

TheEditor has transferred via Bluetooth an ATR located on a different machine and shared with Raspberry Pi via WI-FI network. Simply cool :-o

• 4 months later...

After very interesting discussions with flashjazzcat and with HiassofT about possible adaptations of the HI-SPEED code to support SIO communication over Bluetooth, I have a small update of the SIO2BT OS patcher for you:

http://abbuc.de/~montezuma/SIO2BT.zip

post-29824-0-55936900-1468086855_thumb.jpg

The SIO2BT OS Patcher tool let you now patch the XL OS, which was previously patched for the HI-SPEED (commonly known as a HI-SPEED OS from HIAS).

Yes, you understood it correctly, it is patching of an already patched OS :)

What you get is the OS supporting HI-SPEED (with HI-SPEED devices) and Bluetooth communication (19200) with SIO2BT.

Additionally the tool let you customize the patching parameters (if you don't understand them, please use defaults):

- timeout for ACK byte (showing you the values for PAL and NTSC computers)

- retry count

- disable "Type 3 Poll" (poll for new devices, like ATARI 1090)

- enable COLD START on the SHIFT+RESET key combination

Depending on the OS beeing patched, some settings will be greyed out if they are not applicable.

The documentation was updated as well.

Note, if you have the Ultimate 1MB extension, you won't need patched OS versions at all (soon).

A great update with PBI SIO code support for both HI-SPEED and SIO2BT is coming. Stay tuned :)

For whom may the new SIO2BT OS patcher tool be interesting?

Mainly for those, who use EPROM based OS switches or devices like SYS-CHECK

I would like to say thank you to mr-atari

He has recently added SIO2BT support to his MyBIOS alternative OS (BETA #17):

http://www.atarimax.com/flashcart/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585

This is very good news for the MyIDE II owners, who do not want to mod their ATARIs with U1MB or with an OS SWITCH and want to try SIO2BT anyway (until now it was only possible with a special loader).

• Like 2

I have noticed larger kb files are loadimg from sio2bt. Yie ar kung fu does not load as it must be because of the file size too large or my ram setting on u1mb is not correct?

I have tried yoomp on it and it works great and is an amazing game.

What does the timeout and read/write timeouts do also sio networking?

Thanks in advance as this is probably covered somewhere.

This is a great device and evolved from great to absolutely amazing!

Yie ar kung fu does not load as it must be because of the file size too large or my ram setting on u1mb is not correct?

Perhaps the problem is RAM settings (I usually use "576KB COMPY SHOP").

I have just tried loading Yie ar kung fu over Bluetooth and it worked.

What does the timeout and read/write timeouts do also sio networking?

I'm not sure if I got your question right.

If you are interested in sio networking, please look into Sio2BT Networking.pdf:

The new settings of the app (per default greyed out) are related to networking only (they are enabled after you enable networking).

This is a great device and evolved from great to absolutely amazing!

I would like to say thank you to mr-atari

He has recently added SIO2BT support to his MyBIOS alternative OS (BETA #17):

http://www.atarimax.com/flashcart/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585

This is very good news for the MyIDE II owners, who do not want to mod their ATARIs with U1MB or with an OS SWITCH and want to try SIO2BT anyway (until now it was only possible with a special loader).

This explains the increase in downloads... :-)

At the moment, I'm adding dynamic baud-rate detection to the BIOS.

For those who want more speed.

But you have to change your bluetooth-dongle for it using special tools.

So I won't go in detail here, you can really fuck-up your BT-setting.....

But any how, I took the risk at set mine to 57k6 and did a RWTEST.

Here is the very impressive result I got.

MyBIOS correctly detected a 57k6 device so that's cool too.

Stay tuned for more news!

post-6668-0-06449600-1468143940_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

There is an update of the SIO2BT Android App (2.60) at Google Play.

Important new features:

- Added "0ms" to "Write Delay" settings
- Device $45 (APE Time) renamed to "Smart Device"
- Added "Sumbit URL" command ($55) to the "Smart Device"

Docs and software were updated: http://abbuc.de/~montezuma/SIO2BT.zip

Background info:
The "Write Delay" (small delay between ACK and COMPLETE bytes) was required with the patched XL OS.
If the COMPLETE byte would arrive right after ACK, it would be lost.
Mr-Atari explained me recently that this happens, because the standard OS disables pokey after ACK.

The good news is:
- MyIDE II (starting from BETA#17)
- HI-SPEED (from HIAS) used in U1MB
- QMEG
- XBIOS
All the above options for SIO2BT do not have that constraint.

That means, we can easily speed-up data transfer by changing the "Write Delay" to 0ms in the settings.
This is valid for RespeQt and SIO2BT Android app (the default is 10ms, so you have to explicitly change it)

I added url.xex (and url.c) file to the linked above SIO2BT.zip file.
It demonstrates the ability to ask the Andoid smartphone/tablet to open a given URL in the Android web browser.

• Like 2

Looks cool, but before making this permanent, "BAUD" should read: "bps" (bits per second), or the use the modern convention of "bit/s", particularly since you are hooking up to modern gear, after all. Not trying to be picky, or anything, just pointing out that there is a difference, and to do the community a service, so that nobody over 38 says: "Baud" incorrectly at work, and people look at him like he has seven heads, a phenomenon which is becoming more common, as terminology changes (usually for the worst... ex: kibibytes, mebibytes, etc., ha).

New SIO2BT configuration-tool is almost ready.

Final testing in progress.

This programs runs on your Atari and let you select/change baud-rate, BT-name and BT-pin.

Stay tuned..... :-)

I think "BAUD" is still correct, after all these years :)

The baudrate may be equal to bitrate (bits/s) if transmitted symbols represent 1 bit only.

This is actually the case here, so you could use both terms (bitrate and baudrate).

However using symbols which can carry 2 bits information (or more) you can achieve higher bitrate with the same baudrate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baud

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bit_rate

Edited by TheMontezuma
  • Like 1

Thanks for the info. Will try this today again. I have my ram on the full 1mb. I did not know ram needs to be changed for certain games.

I have been looking for but never found what the highest ram games/ applications are over 64kb?

Ultimate 1MB emulates "RAMBO" and "COMPY SHOP" memory extensions.

The second one allows for independent memory access to extended memory via CPU and ANTIC (like in 130XE).

Some games require that.

Here is some info about games using over 64kB.

Ok I tried with 576 and on 10ms after 5 seconds of loading it crashes and makes a sound on the tv and never tries to load. I tried 0ms and when it loads makes lots of static noise but never crashes but loads forever and never goes anywhere.

Ok I tried with 576 and on 10ms after 5 seconds of loading it crashes and makes a sound on the tv and never tries to load. I tried 0ms and when it loads makes lots of static noise but never crashes but loads forever and never goes anywhere.

Wait a second. The memory settings of the Ultimate 1MB have nothing to do with SIO2BT.

All you need to run SIO2BT is a patched XL OS or the newest Ultimate 1MB BIOS from FJC

What do you use?

1) XL OS with a Bluetooth patch - please use 10ms (or more) delay in the app settings

2) newest Ultimate 1MB BIOS - please enable PBI and enable SIO2BT setting for the SIO Driver - you can use 0ms delay in the app settings

Edited by TheMontezuma

I am using a u1mb with the bluetooth os selected from the menu. The sio to bluetooth loads as soon as the atari is switched on this way while holding option down to disable basic.

I am probably using version 2 of u1mb.

The 0ms does work for most games as is. Certain ones such as yoomp needs to 10ms.

This is because I do not have the new u1mb bios. Which I can never have without rigging up stuff and buying cables? burners? etc.All which I do not have.

The kung fu game says 320kb. it is a 2006 version maybe if I can find the 2002 file that uses less ram it might work.

New SIO2BT configuration-tool is almost ready.

Final testing in progress.

This programs runs on your Atari and let you select/change baud-rate, BT-name and BT-pin.

Stay tuned..... :-)

I have just uploaded the SIO2BT package:

http://abbuc.de/~montezuma/SIO2BT.zip

containing SIO2BT CONFIG tool (BTCONFIG.XEX) from Mr-Atari (Many Thanks!) and updated documentation.

You can change the baudrate, Bluetooth friendly name and the PIN code.

Please note: All settings changes are persisted!

SIO2BT supports only one baudrate at a time.

Once configured for 57600 baud, it won't support communication with 19200 baud until it is configured for that baudrate (next time).

Currently you can use higher baudrates only with MyIDE II.

• Like 1

I'm going to upload the new MyBIOS with dynamic baudrate over SIO soon.

This bios supports any device at speeds from 19k2 and upwards.

ID will be #18 and up.

The rom version runs stand-a-lone and has MyIDE-][ support.

It runs fine with BT set at 57k6 baud :-)

RWTEST speeds of 3kB/s....

• Like 1