IGNORED

Wishing for Intellivision Game Refresh - AD&D

First Spear

I would love to see a refresh of the "Cloudy Mountain" AD&D game. With everything that developers know now, and the tools that are available, I think it would be pretty big seller. Lots of people that had the console way-back-when would remember the game (it was pretty fairly advertised in the 80's also), so I think the buzz would be good.

One of the things that made the gameplay good was the fact that it was silent, and you could not see where/how the dungeon was unfolding, and then you'd hear a dragon sleeping, or a snake slurping.... The sudden sound definitely added to the intensity.

I could imagine a refresh of the game with walls that were more carved/jagged looking, multiple kinds of items and weapons (borrowing some ideas from Tarmin/Minotaur), and many more monsters that make noises that require the player to listen. Also maybe monsters that fill up a whole card so the dragons look more like big dragons than owlbears. Hmm, maybe even some dungeon parts that borrow the chief from White Water (stationary but throwing tomahawks) or an evil archer (kind of a bad guy from Deadly Discs but with player-like arrows) that you compete against somewhere/somehow for the crown.

Original Cloudy Mountain was 6k if I heard right on a recent Intellivisionaries interview/podcast, so doing something in 8/16/2/32k would be an awesome thing to see.

Just my $.02...

• Like 2

...Original Cloudy Mountain was 6k if I heard right on a recent Intellivisionaries interview/podcast, so doing something in 8/16/2/32k would be an awesome thing to see.

That's correct, Tinty.

And I completely agree with you on this. Ideally, I'd like to see this done by the original designer, Tom Loughry - which is a possibility, but a bit of a long shot.

Or if it's done by a current Intellivision developer / programmer, at the very least I'd want it to be officially endorsed by Intellivision Productions, so it could get the widest release and exposure. Not another "gray market" kind of thing. A game like this deserves more.

I'd love a new, expanded version of Cloudy Mountain. The essence would have to remain the same (including the randomization which makes the original so replayable), but there are definitely improvements that could be made.

An expanded Utopia with a vs. CPU option (with multiple CPU difficulties) would be awesome as well.

• Like 2

Something else I would like to see in a new "Crown of Kings" - two simultaneous players, same team. Kind of like Swords & Serpents, but both players would be archers with limited arrows. I'm not sure how scrolling would work since players could go in separate directions simultaneously (maybe like S&S one would have to be 'primary' and the other is a kind of satellite). But I imagine, to paraphrase Keith Robinson, it would be "FUN" to have two players running around a room with 2-3 monsters, trying to stay alive.

• Like 1