IGNORED

New game in development

jacobus

I've always like the 3D maze/dungeon games - Dungeon Master in particular - so I'm currently working on a game in this genre.

I plan to have 12 or so levels, each 20 x 20 locations with up to 15 different monsters, doors, keys and specialty locations. At this point I have rough walls and passageways and the first of the monsters. I don't think I'll have enough memory to create the "traditional" inventory screen, so I'll be making something a little more automatic in nature. The attached video shows rotation in place, followed by a stroll up and down a hallway and the approach of a NPC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6MYf5vilzo&feature=youtu.be

• Like 17

That's pretty neat so far! I was actually surprised they didn't do an 8-bit port of Dungeon Master. Would probably have been doable as a floppy game or bankswitched cart.

Although I appreciate the comparison, suggesting this is anything like Dungeon Master is a bit of a stretch! But thank you!

I fully intend to load levels off of disk - nice side effect of making it endlessly modable.

Very nice, Jim!

Do you use Quick language?

Yes, I'm really enjoying it and continue to find ways to make it accomplish more.

Looks cool!

Thank you!

Another update tonight - Similar to previous video, but with much improved passageway drawing. One issue I'm having right now (and it's a nice problem to have) is that the screens draw so fast that it's way too easy to over control. The video shows this problem near the start.

http://youtu.be/QMJGbpee-gQ

Edited by jacobus

This is probably ahead of the game, but as a finishing touch I'd suggest some kind of alternate shading on the walls, ie, every other panel slightly darker and lighter, or maybe a slight textual difference, or an occasional wall hanging or sconce or bumps or something. Perfectly flat and identical wall panels always make me feel like the game is moving around me rather than me through it, or that I'm just looking at snapshots...a very small amount of extra detail or shading difference in the panels really snaps you into place and makes you feel like you are actually moving through something.

This is probably ahead of the game, but as a finishing touch I'd suggest some kind of alternate shading on the walls, ie, every other panel slightly darker and lighter, or maybe a slight textual difference, or an occasional wall hanging or sconce or bumps or something. Perfectly flat and identical wall panels always make me feel like the game is moving around me rather than me through it, or that I'm just looking at snapshots...a very small amount of extra detail or shading difference in the panels really snaps you into place and makes you feel like you are actually moving through something.

I plan to have the occasional "thing" either on the wall or floor - will help as a reference and to break things up. As far as shaded walls, I'd like to do that, but it will depend upon how many characters I have available. At this point I'm going to leave the walls as they are and revisit when everything else is done.

You may want to take a quick peek<sic> at Labyrinths.

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-labyrinths_2877.html

Just for ideas/display. The source code was published in ANALOG and well commented.

Thanks, I'll have a look at this later. Right now I want to develop my own look without worrying that it's become derivative.

Started a BASIC dungeon crawler as a kid but gave up when I found out that I lacked the artistic skill to draw convincing monsters....

Yeah, I'm a little worried about that. Right now my monster list looks like this:

1 Ghost (revised from pacman look alike)

2 blob

3 different blob

4 son of blob

:-)

Tonight's additions - doors!

post-11281-0-23809000-1409105533_thumb.jpgpost-11281-0-56179300-1409105521_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

@slx: Did you start a BASIC dungeon crawler as a kid, but give it up when you found out that you lacked the artistic skill to draw convincing monsters?

Yeah, but the auto-correct on my mobile was too basic to correct my basic spelling error ;)

Looking back I'll also have to admit that it actually was a basic BASIC dungeon crawler.

Edited by slx

Major visual update for tonight - I broke down and improved the distance shading for walls, floors and ceilings. I kept telling myself to wait until everything else was done, but I really wanted to see how it would look! Turns out I had just enough characters left to handle all the shape combinations.

Also added bar graphs to show the Health, armour, etc levels, rudimentary fighting code (not shown) and tracking for NPC health levels. Next up are wall panels to unlock doors, and regen health.

I also tried to drive a little bit slower in the video.

http://youtu.be/g1gEOQVQVsQ

• Like 6

Turns out I had just enough characters left to handle all the shape combinations.

Maybe you use this already, but if running short on chars, you could use the char flipping feature of the machine at the vertical mid of the depiction (DLI) to save some. Currently the 'danwinslow-feeling' is still present - which I also dislike. I could supply a mock-up for an alternate depiction - if desired.

Maybe you use this already, but if running short on chars, you could use the char flipping feature of the machine at the vertical mid of the depiction (DLI) to save some. Currently the 'danwinslow-feeling' is still present - which I also dislike. I could supply a mock-up for an alternate depiction - if desired.

I'm using that technique right now to give me full access to the normal character set and my redefined one. Currently I have less that 20 characters free in my own set - I plan to use them for more variety in the dungeon.

Another update for tonight - lots of changes from the previous version:

• More mobs - still only one frame each, I think I'll have enough RAM for at least two frame animation, perhaps three!
  • The player can now attack and kill mobs, with some preliminary death animation
  • Once "discovered", mobs will slowly follow the player
  • Health POI (point of interest - what I'm calling any interactive or informative object in the dungeon) is now working. Sorry about the jumping during this part of the video - I really need to slow down the frame/movement rate.
  • Key POI now works - once pushed, the key icon appears in the dashboard and doors are unlocked. (right now one key unlocks all doors on a level - this may change)
  • Less obvious stuff - I have a map editor in Excel which allows me to publish revisions in a matter of seconds, as well as a PM editor. Excel has been an amazingly good friend through this entire project! I use it for note taking, memory location tracking, to-do list, etc

Video:

http://youtu.be/np-pg2e7d1s

P.S. Can anyone tell me how to add a YouTube link here that includes a preview frame?

• Like 5

cool stuff... :) I always will be and been a fan of RPGs... ;) played Dungeon Master to death...

preview frame should be automaticly added by the upload manager of Youtube... otherwise you can select that when upload is finished? Later in the youtube video editor.

btw. I have done a lot of researches for Beyond Evil in terms of Battle Engine and LOOT engine... so I can provide the algorithms similar Diablo2 is creating them.