IGNORED

New pacman for atari 2600

DINTAR816

Am I imagining it or are there some slight slow downs at times? Is it just Stella? And the munching sound in particular seems kinda wonky at times. Esp. when eating a single dot. I dunno.

I haven't noticed that so far, probably it is your computer causing those slowdown. Though that shouldn't be an issue for many years now. Unless you use really, really old hardware or something is not configured right there.

There is a slight difference in pace of the "wa ka" sound moving horizontally vs. vertically. Not by much but it is there. Could possibly be remedied by using a full "wakka" sound for each dot (instead of "wa" for the first and "ka" for the second)? Or just using differing durations of the sound when moving horizontally vs. vertically?

There is a slight difference in pace of the "wa ka" sound moving horizontally vs. vertically. Not by much but it is there. Could possibly be remedied by using a full "wakka" sound for each dot (instead of "wa" for the first and "ka" for the second)? Or just using differing durations of the sound when moving horizontally vs. vertically?

The dots have a lower overall density onscreen. You may very well munch two dots in the arcade in the time it takes to munch one on the VCS. In this case, the tempo would sound slow and very wrong, "wak... ka... wak... ka..." instead of "wakkawakkawakkawakka"

Also dots munch much faster vertically in the 4k version. This new version appears more balanced but as I haven't played it yet there may be a miniscule difference, if a bit more subdued than in 4k. If you want an arcade perfect recreation, Pacman 320 on the 7800 is likely the closest you will get, sans picking up a copy of Namco Museum on any modern platform.

This new Pacman is one helluva show stopper. Assuming the author expands the ROM to 8k and adds cutscenes, it would make the most perfect VCS arcade port to date.

Edited by stardust4ever

I just compared this game with Dennis Debro's and Ebivision's versions. It's a close call between Dennis and this one. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. IMO a merge between both would be best.

I can not compare using emulation or Harmony cart because I still can not locate the PacMan4K version that is sold in the AtariAge Store. I would still like to have the store version as a rom file.

(Of course I can compare using my PacMan4K cartridge.)

I haven't noticed that so far, probably it is your computer causing those slowdown. Though that shouldn't be an issue for many years now. Unless you use really, really old hardware or something is not configured right there.

Nope, it's a fairly new system and decent specs. I'll reboot and keep playing. It *is* Windows afterall. And I was probably watching a movie, had my MP3 server running and downloading stuff at the same time. :D

I just bought 3 new HB's. Hopefully this one will be in a future batch!

Nope, it's a fairly new system and decent specs. I'll reboot and keep playing. It *is* Windows afterall. And I was probably watching a movie, had my MP3 server running and downloading stuff at the same time. :D

I just bought 3 new HB's. Hopefully this one will be in a future batch!

godzillajoe,

make sure you get the new release of Stella if you haven't already; it performs much better on windows with games that push the VCS like this awesome game as it uses Active-X subsystems for the display optimised in asm instead of vb/c++ routines :)