IGNORED

New pacman for atari 2600

DINTAR816

Correct. He was not contacted. I guess if you post the ROMs online, it is automatically public domain? :ponder:

I wonder the legalities of it too.. could Dintar816 get royalties from AtGames for using his version? (I hope so!)

BTW I hope this new Flashback portable is improved and can play games from SD the original version couldn't.

• Like 2

I was asked by AtGames to send a quick note here on AtariAge acknowledging Dintar816 and his kindly granting official use of his Pac-Man 4K with AtGames' products. Much thanks and appreciation! It's definitely a homebrew worth mass market distribution and is something BANDAI NAMCO has already approved for use.

• Like 8

I was asked by AtGames to send a quick note here on AtariAge acknowledging Dintar816 and his kindly granting official use of his Pac-Man 4K with AtGames' products. Much thanks and appreciation! It's definitely a homebrew worth mass market distribution and is something BANDAI NAMCO has already approved for use.

B-N already approved??? to Dintar816? or to ATGames?

B-N didn't attach any strings about the game being distributed elsewhere, did they? I wouldn't hope that they did, just asking out of curiosity.

Yeah like B-N wanting all royalites from Dintar816....LOL!

This is an awesome development. I just hope it's licensed inclusion on the AtGames portable does not prevent it from being sold in the future from AA store. then again, we always have New-Pacman-v7-test.bin to play on our Harmonies.

Any reason why they did not use the 8k builds? Didn't Dintar816 "fix" it for the FBP? Are the intermissions, attract modes complete in this version?

• Like 1

Any reason why they did not use the 8k builds? Didn't Dintar816 "fix" it for the FBP? Are the intermissions, attract modes complete in this version?

I wonder if it has anything to do with this:

atariage.com/forums/topic/266717-bb-bankswitching-and-the-atari-flashback-portable/?p=3786066

This is an awesome development. I ...

I'm kind of glad they are using his 4K version and not the 8K.

Let's see if they use the "final" 4K and not an older version.

Possibly they used all space for built-in games?

I think an unfinished version was hacked for FBP.

The 4K has intermissions - which were attempted and failed to be hacked into older Debro's 4K version.

The attract screen / title screen doesn't fit in 4K.

The ghost monster behavior is the best yet in 4K, but not Arcade perfect like in the 8K.

Maybe we can still load the 8K from SD card - either a fixed version or hopefully it just works now?

As far as I know, DINTAR816 still plans to add fast cornering, and wants to add Turbo option, and there were other suggestions he was considering - so technically the 8K version isn't done yet.

• Like 3

Corner cutting may be harder to implement considering pixels aren't even square, so the smallest increment of movement is different in vertical vs horizontal. That would complicate the diagonal movements as in the arcade IMO. Great if the final version includes it, but not a deal breaker if it gets left out.

Possibly what will happen with corner cuts is Pacman just realigns to the entrance to the tunnel, creating a slight warp effect. Also like the arcade if you hit a direction late, Pacman will still make the turn with corner cuts but miss it without cutting enabled.

For instance if Pacman is travelling up in the vicinity of a right turn, and the right joystick is actuated, then Pacman could simply snap to the entry of the passage even if he is a couple scanlines higher or lower at the point of actuation, and a similar effect if travelling horizontally and entering a vertical passage. This would emulate the behavior of the arcade, but with ever so slightly jerkier movement.

I heard that if we were really good then there would be a physical release for this on AA, but we have to be REALLY good. Plus, they promised us a pizza party with a magic show and a petting zoo. I've been on my best behavior lately.

Don't forget the bounce house. All good little boys and girls deserve a bouncy house or bouncy castle.

youtube.com/watch?v=JTTo7eLTcrc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTTo7eLTcrc

• Like 2

Well, now that everyone's using seat belts, helmets, elbow pads, and all that, there has to be some other way to teach kids character.

Give them a joystick???

While we are on the topic of childhood injuries, here's something completely random:

It's funny though. I read a thread on a power wheel forum about parents overvolting children's power wheels, and in some cases installing bigger motors after the stock ones burned up. Then they upgrade to rubber tires because the plastic ones peel out, strap weed eater motors to them, etc etc. I'd like to see the kind of accidents that happen when kids get their modified big wheels up to go kart speeds. IRL, there's no magic Likatu to bail you out.

Would the parents who modded said big wheels into pint sized go-karts be held liable for reckless endangerment?

• Like 2

I heard that if we were really good then there would be a physical release for this on AA, but we have to be REALLY good. Plus, they promised us a pizza party with a magic show and a petting zoo. I've been on my best behavior lately.

Don't forget the bounce house. All good little boys and girls deserve a bouncy house or bouncy castle.

Does the being good only apply to this thread. Because there is a running gun battle going on in an old home brew thread. We might not get JACK because what's going on over there. :P

Just for kicks I thought I would draw what it would be like to go all-in with a full scanline like game board. I don’t know if this is even technically possible, but I think it looks more uniform and pleasing than having scanlines only on the Pac-dots lines. Removing the rounding on the corners and going for a squared off look, really brings it all together. I also carefully matched up the coloring of the arcade game with the Atari 2600 palette to get a more accurate color scheme for the board/dots and sprites. Though the vibrancy of the arcade colors is not available on the Atari 2600, this approximation looks pretty good overall. Finally, I redrew *some* of the sprites at an attempt to make things more uniform and closer to their arcade counterparts. Anyway, just something I mocked together for fun. Feel free to use anything here if you like it.

post-61218-0-15791500-1498916179_thumb.png

• Like 3