IGNORED

New pacman for atari 2600

DINTAR816

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
15 hours ago, Yurkie said:

Sorry Necro bump. I am curious what people thought of the cornering mod rom that was post on page 60?

To corner or not... I like both! But if the aim is arcade accuracy, then cornering I guess. Sans is perfectly acceptable too of course. Amazing game either way.  :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/3/2022 at 8:10 PM, EmuDan said:

Happy National Pac-Man Day!  I just played the latest version of 8k with cornering and noticed that it didn't have the intermissions.  Will the final release version include both cornering and intermissions?

This version, "pacman2600_8k_v8test_corn.bin", on page 60 of the thread, Post #1479, has intermissions.  The intermissions are seen when played under the Stella emulator (v6.6).

Also, as noted in the aforementioned post link, the above version, besides having cornering updated, contains the possibility to increase the speed of the game with the right difficulty switch (in the "A" position the speed increases).

• Like 5

• 6 months later...

I happened to come on AA to look for a newer version of Pac-man. It's been a while since I've paid much attention tot he Atari homebrew scene. I've long liked and played the 4K version. Playing this version was a revelation. It's fantastic. I was stunned at the almost complete lack of flicker on original hardware. The controls are so tight, the music is surprisingly great for original hardware and the addition of the intermissions blew me away. If this had been released back in the day it would have been a killer app. Fantastic job!

Edited by Lendorien
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/11/2018 at 7:41 AM, DINTAR816 said:
Hello, here I am again, after 2 months, here is the test version with "cornerig" (finally!), it works fine (I think), I just need to improve it a bit.

DZ-jay, your method is difficult to apply here because it would require a lot of rom (many tables) for example I would need 4 times more rom for the "move delta" table (that is, 256), since my method uses 8 x 8 virtual tiles , thank you anyway for the detailed explanation, since it inspired me to make this possible.

Now it is also possible to increase the speed of the game with the right switch (in the "A" position the speed increases).

Enjoy. :)

pacman2600_8k_v8test_corn.bin 8 kB · 2,073 downloads

Hi Daniel.

Would it be possible to make a PAL60 version of this file? Thanks!

• Like 2

On 11/1/2022 at 5:13 PM, Philsan said:

Hi Daniel.

Would it be possible to make a PAL60 version of this file? Thanks!

Hi, @Philsan, here is pal60 of this version, although it is not the same "v8test corn", it is a more updated one, I also include pal and ntsc.

pacman2600_8k_v8_test8_pal_60.bin pacman2600_8k_v8_test8_ntsc.bin pacman2600_8k_v8_test8_pal.bin

• Like 8
  • Thanks 5

14 hours ago, DINTAR816 said:

Hi, @Philsan, here is pal60 of this version, although it is not the same "v8test corn", it is a more updated one, I also include pal and ntsc.

pacman2600_8k_v8_test8_pal_60.bin 8 kB · 6 downloads pacman2600_8k_v8_test8_ntsc.bin 8 kB · 9 downloads pacman2600_8k_v8_test8_pal.bin 8 kB · 3 downloads

😍

Thank you very much!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, DINTAR816 said:

pacman2600_8k_v8_test8_pal_60.bin 8 kB · 6 downloads pacman2600_8k_v8_test8_ntsc.bin 8 kB · 10 downloads pacman2600_8k_v8_test8_pal.bin 8 kB · 3 downloads

Looking good on the recently updated StellaDS!

image.thumb.jpeg.5e53bbb7de916499a63c4a3fd0c96291.jpeg

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Keatah said:

What's the main difference between these two? And what's the latest/best?

the main difference is that in the last one I have changed the reverse mode code using a flag that is activated by each monster and if one is in the "home" it does not use it until it he leaves, this means that sometimes some monsters come out from the right instead of the left as usual. And there are some small bug fixes and code optimization.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, DINTAR816 said:

the main difference is that in the last one I have changed the reverse mode code using a flag that is activated by each monster and if one is in the "home" it does not use it until it he leaves, this means that sometimes some monsters come out from the right instead of the left as usual. And there are some small bug fixes and code optimization.

@DINTAR816, are you intending to do a cartridge release through AtariAge (or anywhere, for that matter?) And if so, do you have any idea when that might happen?  I really want to own this on a cart when it's final.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, from most recent to oldest.

On 11/26/2022 at 6:31 PM, OLD CS1 said:

@DINTAR816 While I am certain the Atari 2600 Flashback devices are not your target, I wanted to mention that I have two of the Flashback handheld units and the "sprites" display horizontally offset to the right.

that's because the flashback handheld unit doens't emulate the HMOTION correctly (at cicle 73-74 in this case), i don't know if it looks wrong on any other screen in this game (since I don't have any of those units).

On 11/26/2022 at 6:14 PM, Bomberman94 said:

@DINTAR816Does the 8K version have the famous kill screen? 🤔

No, but maybe i can do that. 

On 11/11/2022 at 4:29 PM, Philsan said:

It would be nice to add AtariVox/Save Key high score saving.

That depends on the rom available space, at the moment i don't think it's possible.

On 11/9/2022 at 8:24 PM, guppy said:

@DINTAR816, are you intending to do a cartridge release through AtariAge (or anywhere, for that matter?) And if so, do you have any idea when that might happen?  I really want to own this on a cart when it's final.

Yes, maybe soon (i hope).

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/8/2022 at 7:12 AM, DINTAR816 said:

Thanks. Finally a PAL60 variant of the latest version (v8) is available, that's great. :thumbsup: Now i can also play this on my real console in correct colors.

What things you plan to add, before the game is finalized? It looks really great already and also plays very good, i must say.

Edited by AW127

• 5 months later...
7 hours ago, negative1 said:

i love the 8k version, it is so well done.

working on patterns for it, will post some shortly.

here's a mockup of the killscreen:

2600killscreen-2.jpg

later

|| | | |

ne gative 1

… yes finally the killscreen and then a physical release - that would be awesome and something many people will make happy! 

I can speak for myself: my goal would be playing until this killscreen appears - that would be „solving the game“ (and a good score of course). 

there are some major problems with this version of pac-man,

the time for the energizers does not match.

the biggest problem is on the 5th,7th,8th and 9th-256key

the ghosts should not flash blue, they should just reverse only.

level      bonus   points      time for energizer

13              PacKey.jpg 5000 Short (1sec) 1st key
Intermission III

14 PacKey.jpg 5000 Medium (3sec) 2nd key
15 PacKey.jpg 5000 Short (1sec) 3rd key
16 PacKey.jpg 5000 Short (1sec) 4th key
17 PacKey.jpg 5000 None 5th key
Intermission III
18 PacKey.jpg 5000 Short(1sec) 6th key
19         PacKey.jpg 5000 None 7th key
20        PacKey.jpg 5000 None                8th key
21-256  PacKey.jpg 5000 None                9th-256key

pac-man does move slowly on levels 21-256 though.

here are the first 9 keys: objects disappear because i didn't match the framerate

of the game, its lower

later

| || | | | || |

ne gative 1

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Goochman said:

It is amazing seeing this run without special chips on the 2600 - man if this was the original maybe Atari wouldnt have died.

The Atari 2600 could have maybe gone on a few more years on top with this level of quality, and the Crash of '83 would have happened very differently (the shovelware problem still would have resulted in a lot of business failures and associated fallout).  

A consequence of that, probably Nintendo doesn't release NES in North America, or does so as an Atari branded console, with likely a very different approach to design.

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone uses the frontend:

CORE TYPE R

I have a Dintar's Pac-Man pack.  I call it "Pac-Man - Arcade Edition"

Extract into the root directory

I use the artwork from this exact thread, and also Dintar's 8k youtube video preview.  

Enjoy!

TYPE R - Atari 2600 - Pac-Man Arcade Edition - by Kaz.zip

Edited by KAZ