IGNORED

How To Restore Your Beige Retro Hardware

dphirschler

I just discovered this process which restores the yellowed beige plastic. Since my beige console is already taken apart, I am going to try it. Has anybody else here tried it? I may also try it on my cassette recorder, which has uneven yellowing on the different pieces. The keys in particular are more yellow than the main shell.

http://retr0bright.wikispaces.com/

Darryl

• Like 2

I use this salon care product. Wear gloves. Put the plastic parts out in the sun and brush this crème on them. In a few hours, they look nice. I have done a coco2, two ccr-81 cassette recorders and an Apple IIgs. The bottle cost me $4 and change,

http://www.sallybeauty.com/creme-developer/SLNCAR63,default,pd.html#q=40%25&sz=60&viewAllProducts=true&start=59

SBS-760140.jpg?sw=345&sh=345&sm=fit&sfrm

Not sure if it works same as retrobright? WIll it work on beige plastic not just white?

• Like 2

I just discovered this process which restores the yellowed beige plastic. Since my beige console is already taken apart, I am going to try it. Has anybody else here tried it? I may also try it on my cassette recorder, which has uneven yellowing on the different pieces. The keys in particular are more yellow than the main shell.

http://retr0bright.wikispaces.com/

Darryl

LOL! Guitarists pay real good money to have their guitars "aged". You don't know you're born :grin: !

Is it true that all these solutions only last for a period of time?

to a degree, the plastic will still discolour but probably not to the same degree as before-the discolouration was caused by a reaction of the flame retardents in the plastic with light, so now we all know the cause it will be easier to keep our stuff in good condition.

I have a nice BBC Micro and when not in use I always make sure it is covered and so far there has been no discolouration to the plastic. "SUNLIGHT IS THE ENEMY!!!!"

Edited by am1933
  • Like 1

to a degree, the plastic will still discolour but probably not to the same degree as before-the discolouration was caused by a reaction of the flame retardents in the plastic with light, so now we all know the cause it will be easier to keep our stuff i good condition.

I have a nice BBC Micro and when not in use I always make sure it is covered and so far there has been no discolouration to the plastic. "SUNLIGHT IS THE ENEMY!!!!"

As is fluorescent light. I started using halogens over a decade ago after seeing what CFLs and their ilk do to old plastic. Not only yellow it, but in some cases the plastic also becomes brittle. Also, if you store plastics in boxes watch the type of box you use. Some of them will also age your plastics the same as UV light (I believe it is because of acids in the cardboard, but I have yet to determine this concretely.)

• Like 1

As is fluorescent light. I started using halogens over a decade ago after seeing what CFLs and their ilk do to old plastic. Not only yellow it, but in some cases the plastic also becomes brittle. Also, if you store plastics in boxes watch the type of box you use. Some of them will also age your plastics the same as UV light (I believe it is because of acids in the cardboard, but I have yet to determine this concretely.)

Whoa! :-o

I would not have expected that, but maybe the fuller spectrum is the culprit then? I would think UV has something to do with it - more energy than visible light.

• Like 1

I had to paint one of my breadbin c64's as it was full of digs and scratches, retrobrighting it wouldn't help in that case. Painting is not easy either, You really need

proper plastic friendly paint as my first attempt never dried properly.

I have a Vic-20 that is slightly yellowed, also an Amiga 500. Both are slightly yellowed, I'll give this a go sometime preferably before summer comes here as leaving

them out in our summer sun will melt the plastic.

What is the best way to remove keys from an amiga 600 keyboard without damage so I can retrobright them ?

Eh, good question... I just popped them right off, but cannot recall exactly how. I think I pried them, but I do not recommend using a metal implement to do so.

"SUNLIGHT IS THE ENEMY!!!!"

True dat. I have an Atari ST and it was always kept in its box through the years. Looks as good as the day it came off the production line. Absolutely pristine. Actually, the Atari ST (1040) is another beautiful looking machine IMO. The old Amiga 500 was a pretty little thang too. The Amiga 600 was the 500's ugly fat sister :D

I use this salon care product. Wear gloves. Put the plastic parts out in the sun and brush this crème on them. In a few hours, they look nice. I have done a coco2, two ccr-81 cassette recorders and an Apple IIgs. The bottle cost me $4 and change,

http://www.sallybeauty.com/creme-developer/SLNCAR63,default,pd.html#q=40%25&sz=60&viewAllProducts=true&start=59

SBS-760140.jpg?sw=345&sh=345&sm=fit&sfrm

Not sure if it works same as retrobright? WIll it work on beige plastic not just white?

I just tried this on multiple things and it worked great! It does not seem to make it 'too light' and I left the items in the sun many hours. I used on beige and grey Amiga 600 keys that were discolored and a few other items (mouse, etc..).

Very easy and I'd recommend to others!