IGNORED

The TI-99/4A's back in style!

Omega-TI

Remember this computer? ti-994a.jpg

I always thought the TI-99/4A looked a bit more classy than those other monochrome, cheap looking plastic, computers.

It appears that the TI-99/4A is back in style! I was just looking at the selection of laptop computers for 2014 and what did I see?

toshiba-satellite-refurbished-laptop.jpg

Samsung-Mini-Laptop-2014.jpg Lot's of SILVER & BLACK!

• Like 1

Apple's MacBook Pro's have retained that silver styling for years. Glad more and more audio gear is coming around again too. Finally! Can't stand the look of black consumer electronics at all. Always thought they looked cheap and cheesy. And before people say they have no choice, all my audio gear (and computers come to think of it) with the exception of a really nice Nakamichi preamp, is either silver or champagne.

Oh and the TI never went "out" of style as far as I'm concerned! :lol:

I remember in the '90s when every computer was white. And I remember seeing a black (probably more like really really dark purple or blue) Dell system ~1997 and thinking it looked sweet.

I like black systems just fine. White also looks cool...at least at first, before it gets used and dirty and yellowed.

Sort of. I read about them a while back around the time they were supposed to launch, but I've never seen one or heard of anybody who has one. Did these ever get released?

They were shipping in small quantities, but then the president of the company died suddenly and the whole thing shut down (it was a very small operation, and he was pretty much the heart and soul of it).

You know, I'd probably buy a Retro-Look TI-99/4A if one was available. Of course it would have to be wider for a full-sized PC keyboard and I'm sure the cartridge are would have the touch plate and buttons or cursor control. I'd LOVE to see a photoshopped version of that!

Something like this would allow the keyboard to remain mostly as standard so that a re-jigged machine could still look authentic.

_07+zx+spectrum+128+espa%C3%B1ol+y+tecla

Sinclair released this in Spain first with the additional plug in numeric keypad, the keypad never got an official release in the UK as far as I am aware.

But imagine a nice aluminium and black version with numerals and cursor keys that matched exactly the styling of the original 4a, due to the size reduction in modern circuitry and processors-you could probably stuff a few extra functions into the unit also ;-) .

Well-we can but dream.

"FCTN-S" it's as easy as riding a bike. I was away from the TI for 23 years, when I came back, my fingers knew exactly where to go without thinking. :D

I'm not saying it wasn't stylish looking, and I only had experience with a real physical unit once helping the kid of a friend of my parents. The unit was extremely small, and any computer keyboard is incomplete without a backspace key. Having to hit a meta key + another key for a function used as often as backspace was ridiculous, and I burned the shit out of my hand because I unknowingly touched the hot plate next to the keyboard. I don't mean to say it wasn't stylish looking, it was, but overall it was too small, the keyboard lacked keys, and you could burn yourself if you weren't aware of the coffee warmer. The computer did have a nice processor, but at the same time, it was poorly supported by TI. But, on the case of looks, it was stylish