IGNORED

A new linker for Atari Jaguar programming

SebRmv

Hello,

I recently wanted to replace original Atari MadMac and ALN from my toolchain, because the available binaries for Linux are old executables which are more and more difficult to run on recent Linux distro.

I failed to replace ALN by RLN because it lacks support for archive files (used to make library of objects).

As I had a few days off, I decided to write my own linker using a high-level language (namely OCaml).

I have reached a point where I have something that seems to work and thus I wanted to share this development with the community.

The source code is available on my github repository. As I know that installing the ocaml toolchain on Windows can be a bit tedious, I have also made available on The Removers website a 32 bits binary for Windows (of the current version).

I am happy to hear your feedback regarding this tool (especially Windows users, because I use myself Linux version).

Seb

Edited by SebRmv
  • Like 2

If ALN supported .a files, then RLN should too. Do you have any documentation of the format? :)

You can find some info on Wikipedia for instance.

As I said somewhere else in french, I hesitated a bit before doing this project and I would have prefered to contribute to RLN. But I was too lazy to dig in the source code of RLN (which I suspect is "just" a fork from an old version of ALN, am I right?).

I thought it was a better idea to make a piece of code that I could master entirely and I wanted to remove some stupid limitations such as only at most one directory in search path and other things like size of strings, number of files, ... (no offense: ALN for Jaguar has these stupid limitations too and I understand why).

Also, now that I have my own tool to compare, I noticed that ALN processed badly archive files. I suspect that it sometimes includes several times the same object, which has for consequence to make the binary grows in a useless way.

Anyway, thanks for making RLN, it helped me a bit in the process of writing this tool. You can also find some interesting stuff in the sources of GNU binutils...

Cheers

• 2 months later...

Hello,

I'm using Jlinker on Windows and I meet an issue reported as "unsupported relocation information in Absolute COFF export".

I use C (m68k-aout-gcc) and ASM (smac).

My compiler options are -c -m68000 -Wall -Werror

My ASM options are -fb -rp -v

Jlinker options are -v -w -e -rp -a 802000 x 4000

Could you point me on directions to know where the problems may come from?

Thanks.

Edited by dilinger

• 3 weeks later...