IGNORED

RGB - a game for the ABBUC Software Contest 2014

pseudografx

Cool... I'm still playing with the hot RTI patch but time for Altirra upgrade real soon.

One bit of a complaint - you can get screwed over by walking through an enemy explosion just after you've killed him, that's always annoyed the crap out of me on games that do it.

Edited by Rybags

One bit of a complaint - you can get screwed over by walking through an enemy explosion just after you've killed him, that's always annoyed the crap out of me on games that do it.

Walking into an explosion is not a good idea you know :)

I did not point FFFE/FFFF to a RTI but will now... since my ROM/OS is gone in all major projects NMI issues are well know problem (and good to see in Altirra's wonderful debugger) but sometimes hard to track down...

It's not needed on real HW and now the Altirra is fixed too. Don't know about other emulators.
  • Like 1

I never liked games that did that either.

Walking into an explosion is not a good idea you know icon_smile.gif

True. But depending on how big the explosion is, it shouldn't necessarily kill you. I mean, if it's a building exploding, ok.

Also, isn't the protagonist mechanical? He shouldn't be too delicate...

It always bothered me that games would let you fly thru massive debri fields unscathed, I like that you can die from the explosion! I wouldn't change it. I enjoy the challenge of a game, this helps make it challenging and real to me. I know cars a strong and mechanical, when one blows up almost all the cars near it are toast! Same thing in a military convoy, seems like at least one or two nearby are rendered useless. It's the nature of shrapnel and other projectiles it just happens.

• Like 1

Killing explosions, I think Berzerk (arcade version) may have been the first to do this ? I hated it first but you get used to it pretty soon. Since it's robots exploding here too, I think it's fine.

Have been playing it quite a bit the last days and what can I say, what a FABULOUS piece of work !!! And this for free.....it is amazing ! THANKS !!!!

One suggestion I'd like to make: the player starts at a different position on each level. It's hard to see where you are in the beginning because of the busy (but beautiful !!!) surrounding graphics.

Might be a good idea to let the player flash for a second or two at the beginning of every level.

Otherwise......a load of fun and a real challenge, have only reached level 4 yet.

• Like 1

After all, the explosions are not that long.

Btw. some hints for the gameplay:

- When an enemy robot stops, be careful since it will shoot at you.

- Each time you shoot at a robot, it will freeze for a short while (or is eliminated if that colour was the last remaining). This can help you avoid damage. If you added a colour by that shot, do not forget to shoot at it again to disable the colour that was added.

There also seems to be a shot limit for the robots, not sure if it's one per screen or per line but it gives indication that it'll be safe for a little bit.

Also you can shoot them from offscreen so it can be beneficial to just speculate when you know it'll match your colour.

I don't think I've gotten from 0-5 completed yet on Hard.

One problem is I practically speedrun up to end of 3, you can afford to just go quickly so long as you get the route and shots right.

Then I get to 4 and slow down a little, and 5 I keep stuffing it up before even halfway through the first half of the stage. 4 can be a bit annoying too in that if you inadvertantly pick up the wrong colour at the wrong time you can get into a stalemate.

One strategy I noticed works (probably) - if you rapidly ascend or decend you'll often catch them off guard and they won't shoot for a little bit giving you time to pop one off. The risk there of course is you might cop fall damage.

I don't know what you exactly mean with that strategy but the robots shoot purely randomly (shoots only the ones at your level). Maybe what you describe is by the fact that there can by only one shot at a time so when some robots shoot at you and you ascend/descend then the other robots can be eliminated safely until the shot disappears.