IGNORED

GoSub for INTV

atari2600land

How do I make the text be above the sprites?

There's a "PRIO" bit in each MOB's attribute register (bit 13) that controls whether that MOB is above or below the text—ie. which has "priority". I don't know how you toggle that in IntyBASIC, but that's the bit you need to toggle to make the MOBs go under the text.

Stic_mob_a_reg.png

Edited by intvnut

Getting perfect front/back priority between different MOBs and background cards is tricky - mostly because of "what is a background" can be non-obvious when you use tools like Intycolor. But it's easy enough to set - you just set that bit the same way you do the rest of the MOB values: SPRITE #,x,y,f. The f value is what is written to the attribute register, so just AND $2000 to whatever value you're using for f, before you call SPRITE, and you're done. Toggle it, if you so needed to, with XOR $2000.

• Like 1

Getting perfect front/back priority between different MOBs and background cards is tricky - mostly because of "what is a background" can be non-obvious when you use tools like Intycolor. But it's easy enough to set - you just set that bit the same way you do the rest of the MOB values: SPRITE #,x,y,f. The f value is what is written to the attribute register, so just AND $2000 to whatever value you're using for f, before you call SPRITE, and you're done. Toggle it, if you so needed to, with XOR $2000.

Thanks for translating into IntyBASIC-ese for me. :)

jzintv wont let me print screen your game over screen so i couldnt get the words game over in the pic but this is my idea for the gameover screen.

attachicon.gifgosub over1.pngattachicon.gifgosub over2.png

If you jab F11 in jzIntv, it'll write out a screen shot with a file name of the form "shotXXXX.gif". It starts at shot0000.gif and works up from there. If you have over 10000 screen shots in one directory, it starts over at shot0000.gif.

Not sure what directory that file will end up in if you're launching jzIntv from a GUI. Maybe jzintv's bin directory? jzIntv will write it to whatever the "current directory" is where jzIntv gets launched. If you launch jzIntv from the command line it'll be in the same directory you launch jzIntv from.

Edited by intvnut

If you jab F11 in jzIntv, it'll write out a screen shot with a file name of the form "shotXXXX.gif". It starts at shot0000.gif and works up from there. If you have over 10000 screen shots in one directory, it starts over at shot0000.gif.

Not sure what directory that file will end up in if you're launching jzIntv from a GUI. Maybe jzintv's bin directory? jzIntv will write it to whatever the "current directory" is where jzIntv gets launched. If you launch jzIntv from the command line it'll be in the same directory you launch jzIntv from.

ok thanks. it ends up in the bin folder in the gui as well. added a corrected pic atari2600land. please see above

Edited by pimpmaul69

also about other changes. i like the explosion. like the torpedo's shape, just not a fan of the black. it is kind of hard to tell exactly where the torpedo is going to hit which makes it hard to tell if you need to back away from the octopus or proceed forward. i liked the white torpedo.

also about other changes. i like the explosion. like the torpedo's shape, just not a fan of the black. it is kind of hard to tell exactly where the torpedo is going to hit which makes it hard to tell if you need to back away from the octopus or proceed forward. i liked the white torpedo.

I agree. Bring back the grey torpedo! :)

I experimented with sound and came up with a sub crashing SFX instead of the low note played before. I think I can have room for 2 more levels and 2 endings.

The sub explosion sound is fantastic! It is very fitting. The game over screen and jingle are pretty cool too. :)

OK, all the levels have been designed. I needed to change a level due to a bug about collision detection on walls when the sub's periscope touches it and you turn the other way and it crashes. I don't know what's causing that. Anyway, next task is making the ending. The game is 14k, so I have 1.5k to work with to create two separate endings: one for using the warp and one for completing it starting from level 1.

Edited by atari2600land

The game is 14k, so I have 1.5k to work with to create two separate endings: one for using the warp and one for completing it starting from level 1.

Just a reminder, you can double the size with a single line of code inserted at the beginning of your program. Unless you're trying to fit within 16KB for the technical challenge, in which case cool :)

I think the game is long enough as it is. I think it took between 20 and 30 minutes to complete starting from level 1 to test the ending. I have about 0.5k left to compose a little ditty to play at the end, but only if you start from level 1. Cheaters won't get to hear it. ;) The semi-final binary can be downloaded at the GoSub for INTV page here:

http://www.atari2600land.com/gosubintv/

• Like 1

With your ocd you are gonna hate me for telling you this. You can kill 9 octopi in every level and complete the game.

I know, but then I'll have to die repeatedly. The OCD gods require me to finish the game with the fewest deaths as well. Sometimes I feel like quitting this religion. :lol:

• Like 1

With your ocd you are gonna hate me for telling you this. You can kill 9 octopi in every level and complete the game.

Maybe GoSub could bring that unholy scourge to Intellivision: Achievements. "Achievement Unlocked: Kill 9 octopi in every level." ;) ;) ;) ;)

(My eyeball still twitches every time I see that ungrammatical phrase "achievement unlocked." Seems like an obtuse way of saying "achieved.")

Edited by intvnut
  • Like 1

I redid the torpedos so they look less like blocks. As for the sub being too close to the 0, I think that it's the font's fault, not mine. The sub is 8 pixels wide and so is the number 0.

And for the record, I can't draw sprites very well. The reason the sub looks the way it is now is that I copied the front of the GoSub 2600 cartridge manual's sub. Otherwise, it would still look the way it does.

You could use two characters for the sub counter display. This would allow you to move the sub one pixel (or more?) to the left.

tilesub:
rem split
	BITMAP "       #"
	BITMAP "        "
	BITMAP "        "
	BITMAP "       #"
	BITMAP "       #"
	BITMAP "        "
	BITMAP "       #"
	BITMAP "       #"

BITMAP "###     "
	BITMAP "  ##    "