IGNORED

GoSub for INTV

atari2600land

That's the screen border. You can control it in IntyBASIC with the BORDER statement or if using MODE 0 (Color Stack), by setting the colors after the mode.

Depending on the style of the game, and the visual design, the border colour could be set the same as the play-field's background, making it invisible. In the case of Christmas Carol's title screen, the background colour varies depending on the screen area, so a single colour could not be used to hide the border. Therefore, I opted to make to not try to hide it, but use a colour that matched the rest of the art.

-dZ.

Then a blue border would be perfect for GoSub. No more text & counters appearing to be at the edge of the screen.

JzIntv seems to display the border in a peculair way. The left border is cut off entirely, the right shows a little, and the top & bottom show more but not nearly as much as a cartridge played on a console. Does JzIntv do this because overscan is not an issue on a computer? I had been wondering, and now seems like a good opportunity to ask.

post-39531-0-64645800-1418741984_thumb.pngpost-39531-0-52755400-1418741882_thumb.png

Now that i think of it i think some old games had this. Always a 3 sided border. Im playing jzintv on my pi on my tv and still a 3 sided border. I never noticed play so no biggie. I am using christmas carol as an example since it has a colored background.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Now that i think of it i think some old games had this. Always a 3 sided border. Im playing jzintv on my pi on my tv and still a 3 sided border. I never noticed playing so no biggie. I am using christmas carol as an example since it has a colored background.

post-30773-0-61742400-1418750116_thumb.jpg

Edited by pimpmaul69

I got rid of the border. I also had a chance to play this in emulation (since I suck at it using a real INTV), and I got to the end with only 12 deaths on my fourth try. So yeah, I guess the death counter is a good addition.

Edited by atari2600land
  • Like 2

Looks great with the blue border!

Hopefully I'm not being a pain, but is using just the lower buttons to fire a convention on other platforms? When I hold an Intv controller, my thumb naturally meets the upper button, so I expect to shoot with it. Again, Astrosmash and other games let you fire with any button / the one that's most convenient. I promise I won't ask again ;-)

Looks great with the blue border!

Hopefully I'm not being a pain, but is using just the lower buttons to fire a convention on other platforms? When I hold an Intv controller, my thumb naturally meets the upper button, so I expect to shoot with it. Again, Astrosmash and other games let you fire with any button / the one that's most convenient. I promise I won't ask again ;-)

i too agree with this as i now use an inty controller. I played this for a couple hours today and several times found myself hitting the wrong button.

OK, made it so all buttons work on the controller. They all do the same thing - fire, so it's just actually kind of like using one button only you get to pick which of the four buttons to use as your button. STILL 15.5k! Let me know if there are any bugs or anything.

gosub2p.bin

OK, made it so all buttons work on the controller. They all do the same thing - fire, so it's just actually kind of like using one button only you get to pick which of the four buttons to use as your button. STILL 15.5k! Let me know if there are any bugs or anything.

thats what i like about you. Your willing to try to make your game the best experience possible for everyone. Me personally this is one of my faves and i enjoy it a lot. Definitely love how you kept it updated. Cant wait for your next great creation. Keep up the great work. :thumbsup: Edited by pimpmaul69

atari2600land,

I also would like to quickly congratulate you on your 1st project & the willingness with which you took constructive criticism to make this the best game it could be. Also want to give props to everyone who helped with the constructive criticism - truly great all around. Take your time polishing it up and Happy Holidays to all!

Then a blue border would be perfect for GoSub. No more text & counters appearing to be at the edge of the screen.

JzIntv seems to display the border in a peculair way. The left border is cut off entirely, the right shows a little, and the top & bottom show more but not nearly as much as a cartridge played on a console. Does JzIntv do this because overscan is not an issue on a computer? I had been wondering, and now seems like a good opportunity to ask.

attachicon.gifIntv Super Pro Football.pngattachicon.gifChristmas Carol.png

Way back when I first started writing jzIntv (back in the 1990s!), I targeted a 320x200 VGA display. The Intellivision has a 159x96 (or 159x192 if you consider the half-pixels of double-vertical-res MOBs) display. So, I pixel-doubled the Intellivision display, giving a 318x192 display, and padded it out with border colors to make a 320x200 display. This is fairly similar to what Carl's INTVPC emulator (available on Intellivision Lives!) did. The difference between 318 and 320 is the reason there's a stripe of border color on the right.

Old school VGA-era and earlier displays had a concept of border color too. I had much fun playing with that back in my high school days. Modern displays do not. They fill the display (or window) with pixels, and no border. So, if you pick 320x200 or a closely related resolution, you won't get much left/right border color.

That said, at some point I loosened up how jzIntv renders into the display buffer, so that it fills the display buffer with the border color, and then renders the Intellivision image in the center. This was inspired by some patches from John Tanner, who experienced some issues porting jzIntv to modern Macs.

When rendering in a window, jzIntv still snaps to a size that preserves the peculiar "3 sides with border color" behavior. When running in full-screen mode, though, at some resolutions it should pad all borders with the border color.

All that just said... I did just try it now, and it seems I'm not actually living up to that ideal. I seem to be padding with all black. Of course, I was experimenting on my dual-monitor Linux box, which really, really doesn't play well with full screen mode in jzIntv.

I guess I can follow up later. Right now, I need to hit the hay.

Edited by intvnut

Way back when I first started writing jzIntv (back in the 1990s!), I targeted a 320x200 VGA display. The Intellivision has a 159x96 (or 159x192 if you consider the half-pixels of double-vertical-res MOBs) display. So, I pixel-doubled the Intellivision display, giving a 318x192 display, and padded it out with border colors to make a 320x200 display. This is fairly similar to what Carl's INTVPC emulator (available on Intellivision Lives!) did. The difference between 318 and 320 is the reason there's a stripe of border color on the right.

Old school VGA-era and earlier displays had a concept of border color too. I had much fun playing with that back in my high school days. Modern displays do not. They fill the display (or window) with pixels, and no border. So, if you pick 320x200 or a closely related resolution, you won't get much left/right border color.

That said, at some point I loosened up how jzIntv renders into the display buffer, so that it fills the display buffer with the border color, and then renders the Intellivision image in the center. This was inspired by some patches from John Tanner, who experienced some issues porting jzIntv to modern Macs.

When rendering in a window, jzIntv still snaps to a size that preserves the peculiar "3 sides with border color" behavior. When running in full-screen mode, though, at some resolutions it should pad all borders with the border color.

I noticed that jzintv does its native screen captures at 300 x 200, which differs from the 4:3 NSTC standard and the way the Intellivision looks on a TV. When I do a screenshot on my Mac, it always saves a 4:3 image, like the 320 x 240 picture below right. Both still have the funky 3-sided border, though. ;-) Thanks for the explanations.

post-39531-0-28895200-1418827790_thumb.gifpost-39531-0-85558600-1418827790_thumb.png

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Wow. I went back and deleted the ROMs on here per request. I am getting this ready to be published and out for sale. I don't know quite yet when. It won't be 2600 Connection, though, it will be someone else.

So you deleted the ROMs? The game that the community right here helped you design, build, test, and polish? Nice move.

-dZ.

Guys, don't take the deletion of the roms the wrong way. Which I asked him to do so. We all operate and do things differently.

The final production and fine tuning will continue behind the scenes. A more 'in house' and focused development is needed for this already good game that Chris has made with the assistance from everyone.

The final rom (roms) will be made available for free after the sales of CIB are done.

Same goes for Copter Command. (i will probably release all 14 incarnations of copter rom)

Thanks guys

Attached is rough draft of the proposed manual.

Gosub manual v3.pdf

Edited by revolutionika
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 years later...