IGNORED

AtariProtos.Com Update

Tempest

No, it's not available at this time. I'll let everyone know when/if it becomes available. Sorry about that.

In the meantime, enjoy these roms instead:

Morse Code Tutor - There may be more functionality in this rom than I can find. As I mentioned in my review, it's kind of hard to use.

FM Sound Tool - I haven't reviewed this one yet, but I'll post the rom anyway. This is an FM Sound generation tool that someone at Atari was working on in the early 80's. It uses the keypad controllers and generates no video (you just see some random garbage). The controls are as follows:

The rom I've posted fixes some bugs. Enjoy!

Was a sleep for the least few weeks and nearly missed this...Many thanks to all involved for these proto rom's especially Elf!

I hope the newer Xevious gets made available to play on harmony cart too. If it doesn't get made available, is there any chance of a gameplay video? I would love to see the full version in action.

Ditto. I would also like to see a video. They relay so much more info, physics, sound, etc than screenshots.

I'm sorry it can't be released at the moment, it's not up to me as I do not own the prototype. Please rest assured that you're only *part* of the reason, not the entire reason.

If I was the owner of said prototype, I would dump it, then wait until after I sold it to release the dump.

I wish it wasn't the case that it hurts the resale value of a prototype if a dump has been publicly released, because the longer it goes undumped, the greater the chances for bit-rot. I guess dumping it and withholding the dump from the public is the current workaround.

Edited by stardust4ever

If I was the owner of said prototype, I would dump it, then wait until after I sold it to release the dump.

But you're not, I'm not, and neither is anyone else here so it's all moot. Stamp your little feet all you want, it's not going to make a difference.

I'll be the first to let everyone know the second it can be released. Until then sit tight. I assure you there are reasons for this.

• Like 3

But you're not, I'm not, and neither is anyone else here so it's all moot. Stamp your little feet all you want, it's not going to make a difference.

I'll be the first to let everyone know the second it can be released. Until then sit tight. I assure you there are reasons for this.

55277130.jpg

LOL :roll:

If people only knew what kind of political BS goes on behind the scenes with protos like this.

Why slashed out? :???:

Because you ruined it for everybody. Way to go!

Seriously though, I think he was just being funny. There is no set date or place where this rom will be released. As I've said, I will let everyone know the second it can be released.

Do tell some of those reasons if you can. I'm a outsider looking in and really don't know much about it.

Your missing the point.

His statement was not in reference to THIS proto, but rather to protos in general.

And that's why his statement is dead on.

The vast majority (let's call it 99%) of the people who play & collect video games have absolutely zero understanding or appreciation for how the most obscure games even manage to get located; let alone secured, and never mind released.

• Like 1

One analogous area I know of is bootleg tape trading and research. When someone has a one-of-a-kind tape -- say, an uncirculated recording of The Doors playing a show -- there's all kinds of stuff that goes on, plus dealing with incredibly difficult personalities...sometimes you have to be a combination of a hostage negotiator, a psychiatrist, and a medieval merchant to make it all work.

I'd imagine that people who collect rare films (e.g. silent films where only one copy exists) are the same way. In all cases, you've got someone who has something to which they typically don't own the copyright (with some exceptions), but who put effort into preserving or salvaging these unpopular media in the pre-Internet age. They're often afraid that someone will exploit them and/or make tons of money at their expense -- and rightly so! For copyright reasons, they can't safely profit from it themselves, but they can get in deep trouble if they're identified as the "leak". Assuaging these concerns is a tricky business.

Your missing the point.

His statement was not in reference to THIS proto, but rather to protos in general.

And that's why his statement is dead on.

The vast majority (let's call it 99%) of the people who play & collect video games have absolutely zero understanding or appreciation for how the most obscure games even manage to get located; let alone secured, and never mind released.

I still don't understand the reasons, hence my honest question. I know he was talking about ALL protos in general. I was just wishing Tempest or CPU or someone else to expand on it, that's all.

• Like 1

@thegoldenband: "but they can get into deep trouble if they are identified as the 'leak...'"

I'm pretty sure most of the companies involved are either bankrupt by now or otherwise don't give a sh**. Unless the IP in question belongs to Nintendo, then their lawyers attack you like vultures and attempt to shut you down... :P