IGNORED

Galactopus!

KaeruYojimbo

A couple of little changes and the promised PAL-60 version. A lot of the colors I used aren't in the PAL palette, so I used the closest matches I could find.

This time I'm really done. Really. Unless I think of something else. But only if that something else is really good and will change 2600 gaming as we know it. And if it's that good I'll probably just save it for another game.

Very creative!

Even though it is a shooter, there are quite creative gameplay elements within the batari Basic framework.

Looking forward to Ms. Galactopussy ;)

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks everyone! It's really cool to see people digging my little game! The label art is by John Calcano (http://atariboy2600.deviantart.com/). Thanks to neotokeo for getting him involved. It really has that classic Atari space game art feel.

No plans for a paddle version at this time. I've looked into paddles a little bit, but it seems like there are too many limitations with using them in batari basic, unless there are some workarounds out there I don't know about.

• 6 months later...

Got to say i just tried this on my harmony over the weekend and really love it, simplistic arcade blasting fun. very reminiscent of a late 70's arcade game and very cool. After christmas i will be getting a cart of this.

Great job.

I got inspired after playing and made this poster

post-33164-0-67420900-1450695826_thumb.png

• Like 5

Well i have bot obviously i just wanted to make one that closer resembled the game.

Question: How many different coloured galactopus are there? I think i can get to the fourth but then die.

There are 5: purple, red, blue, yellow, green.

Some of the best early video game art really didn't resemble the game. I mean, look at the early Atari boxes. It's the same with arcade games. The graphics were kind of, let's say vague, so the artists were able to go in all sorts of directions.

There are 5: purple, red, blue, yellow, green.

Some of the best early video game art really didn't resemble the game. I mean, look at the early Atari boxes. It's the same with arcade games. The graphics were kind of, let's say vague, so the artists were able to go in all sorts of directions.

I plan to buy your cartridge.

When I played it, there were some standout things I'd like to mention.

You seemed to get everything right.

I can't believe it is only 4K.

I remember that the galactopus dodges shots, but it seems more aware and that was impressive to me. I don't know if that game logic is simple or complex, but you managed the right balance of difficulty versus "it's too hard" and "it does the same evasive moves over and over".

The difficulty ramps up perfectly.

The manual cover is great, showing real octopuses.

I would buy a Ms. Galactopus sequel if you managed to evolve this into a larger rom with new original game ideas, and you are not sick of cephalopods.

The new Pac Man 4K with the cut scenes shows how much can be done in 4K, but when a simple yet original game like this, different from majority of games, comes along it reminds me that fun ideas can still be created.

I can copy ideas, sounds and art. Figuring out how best to recreate something loved on such a primitive machine is fun for me (DK), making something the way I would want it to play (Flappy) is fun, or hacking existing games and changing art and adding to improve or change it (Dr. Who Berzerk, & Wizard of Wor) is my hobby.

Ask me to create orignal art, sound, and gameplay I got nothing. :D

I plan to buy your cartridge.

When I played it, there were some standout things I'd like to mention.

You seemed to get everything right.

I can't believe it is only 4K.

I remember that the galactopus dodges shots, but it seems more aware and that was impressive to me. I don't know if that game logic is simple or complex, but you managed the right balance of difficulty versus "it's too hard" and "it does the same evasive moves over and over".

The difficulty ramps up perfectly.

The manual cover is great, showing real octopuses.

I would buy a Ms. Galactopus sequel if you managed to evolve this into a larger rom with new original game ideas, and you are not sick of cephalopods.

The new Pac Man 4K with the cut scenes shows how much can be done in 4K, but when a simple yet original game like this, different from majority of games, comes along it reminds me that fun ideas can still be created.

I can copy ideas, sounds and art. Figuring out how best to recreate something loved on such a primitive machine is fun for me (DK), making something the way I would want it to play (Flappy) is fun, or hacking existing games and changing art and adding to improve or change it (Dr. Who Berzerk, & Wizard of Wor) is my hobby.

Ask me to create orignal art, sound, and gameplay I got nothing. :D

Thanks! I need to check out your Wizard of Wor. That's always been one of my favorites.

The Galactopus AI develops in stages, adding something with each new level. Purple just moves back and forth, red dodges player fire, blue tracks the player in some situations, and yellow does all of those and changes direction at random.

I am playing around with ideas for Ms. Galactopus, experimenting with the multisprite kernel. It's still 4K for now, but it will probably get bumped up to 8K to fit in bonus stages and cinematics (I have to top the ending of Galactopus!). I recall you used a different multisprite kernel for Flappy. I need to look into that one more and see if it would help me any.

msgalactopus4_txt_4.jpg

The inside of the manual is pretty good too, if I do say so myself.