IGNORED

Deluxe Invaders (Hack Request)

Grevle

I have written about this game before and i think Deluxe invaders is the best Space Invaders port for the Atari 8-Bit, But theres one thing missing from this game,when the player shots a bullet,theres no sound. So Deluxe Invaders have all the other sounds,When the aliens walk, when you hit the aliens, when the UFO appears, When you hit the ufo , And when the player loose a life.

So why is the player gun silent ? Wasnt there enough cpu cycles to have a sound for the players gun ? or is there a issue with all the pokey channels being used even thoug it doesn seem so when playing the game. or some other issue with the code for the game ?

I don't have knowlegde of looking into it yet, so maybe someone else would like to look a this game and add a shot sound for the player, if its possible ?. :ahoy:

Does it feature the 13 shot always 300 thing?

Don't know about 13 shots but I have 15, 21 and 37 shots imprinted in my brain even after 30 years.

@therealbountbob - in the arcade game if you hit the mystery ship exactly on one of the above counts you will always get 300 points. If you miss but remember your counts you can get back on the sequence.

• Like 3

I must admit I have forgotten the sequence now, 13 seems something I remember but all I remember is that you fired x maybe 21 hit the ship and then 13 it always gave you 300, must google it to be sure as its a VERY long time since was doing that live in an arcade :)

Just call me Mr Decrepit....

Edit:

here's the sequence

There is a pattern that determines the score for the bonus UFO, based on the number of shots you fire. When it first appears on a wave use your 23rd shot to destroy it for 300 points. The next time it appears your 15th shot is worth 300 points. It is worth 300 points every 15th shot thereafter. This pattern is the same for each wave of invaders. The UFO appears regardless of whether you shoot or not. All you have to do it count your shots to maximise your score.

Edited by Mclaneinc

An attempt at the high pitch whine of the arcade:

inv.xex

If someone can come up with a sequence of 45 AUDF and AUDC values to implement a cool sounding noise then I can plug them in here.

Also for therealybountybob, hitting "A" toggles auto-fire. If you are in-game you'll hear the alien death sound as confirmation.

• Like 6

Is it possible to make the duh duh louder?!

Adding Single Firing has immediately made this the best space invaders we have :love: :thumbsup:

The sounds went crazy after my go and then the screen turned mainly blue and locked up after a while (130XE) did load after copying the file (mydos) so will reboot and play some more. Need to see if you can get though the first game with manual fire [yes, very nice indeed am onto invasion 12 where they start to split...]

Got to invasion 20 no issues at the end this time!!

Really nice :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

you might want to default to single firing and put a prompt on the titles about pressing A

:)

Edited by therealbountybob

Space Invaders is such a great classic game, that even after all these years, playing this port on the A8 is still fun. Wonder why the original Deluxe Invaders did had a silent player gun, as it technical was clearly possible to add a shot sound for the player. There is also the other game "Atari Invaders" and think the game with the name "space invaders" for the A8 has a silent gun. Whas there a copyright issue or something going on ?

Space Invaders is such a great classic game, that even after all these years, playing this port on the A8 is still fun. Wonder why the original Deluxe Invaders did had a silent player gun, as it technical was clearly possible to add a shot sound for the player. There is also the other game "Atari Invaders" and think the game with the name "space invaders" for the A8 has a silent gun. Whas there a copyright issue or something going on ?

maybe the programmer chose to do this for the reason I've commented on above about the constant firing (especially when the invaders are low) drowning out the initimidating duh duh invaders noise. Would be cool to have the others patched for single firing too one day. We played Atari Invaders (the one by Joe Hellesen) in Round 1 of the current HSC season; it's the one without the mother ship and is pretty good. Though they are all pretty similar :)

atari_invaders.png

Is it possible to make the duh duh louder?!

you might want to default to single firing and put a prompt on the titles about pressing A

Louder duh duh sounds: inv.xex Also on github.

Anybody want to help write a configuration screen to choose sounds, volumes, auto-fire, etc.?

Anyone having a freeze issue when you are down to the last 10 or so? The game is not freezing, but the aliens freeze for about 10 seconds and you can still move and shoot. The original version does not seem to exhibit this feature.

The aliens stop by design when the mother ship is depositing reinforcement aliens. Is that what you are seeing? There is a brief example on YouTube here.

• Like 3

"The aliens stop by design when the mother ship is depositing reinforcement aliens. Is that what you are seeing? There is a brief example on YouTube

."

My mistake. I guess I haven't played in so long, I forgot. I played the old version apparently not long enough to see the "feature". Thanks Xuel, as usual, awesome coding and fixes!

The sounds are good now :thumbsup: Will shoehorn this into the HSC somehow, perhaps at the end of the season finale - as it's supposed to be the A-Z of Atari games!! If you want to do more perhaps the speed of the "fast" invaders can be fast when they travel both left and right (perhaps on later levels) :)