IGNORED

5200 Controller Questions

Ze_ro

Okay, so I managed to win an auction for an Atari 5200, but it doesn't come with any controllers. After looking through all the broken controllers available on eBay, I have two questions:

1) Are broken controllers difficult to fix assuming they're not busted in half? (I know my way around a soldering iron)

2) Is there any source for *good* controllers that won't cost me an arm and a leg? I'd rather try my hand at fixing $5 controllers than pay $30 for new ones.

Oh, and a third bonus question:

3) What power rating does the 5200 need? It's not some goofy port like the Super NES, is it? I don't think one's being included. It's worth pointing out that this is a 2-port, which I believe uses a regular RF adapter, and even if it doesn't, the auction said it's coming with an RF adapter anyways (Which I assume will fit the system).

--Zero

5200 Controllers are fussy, fixing them can be as simple as cleaning the contacts with an eraser to replacing the whole flex circuit. I've had luck with 7 out of 10 controllers I've fixed but sometimes the buttons won't respond no matter what I do. If your going after broken controllers you'll need to by replacement parts from Best Electronics. 5200 controllers don't break physically (usually) it's usually the flex circuit or fire buttons and start/reset/selcet buttons that need to be fixed (bad carbon discs usually).

They're not that hard to fix (if I can do it anyone can), but it takes time and sometimes it's not 100%.

Tempest

quote:

Originally posted by Tempest:

5200 Controllers are fussy, fixing them can be as simple as cleaning the contacts with an eraser to replacing the whole flex circuit.

I agree with tempest, you'll see it's not very hard at all. Save your money and fix them yourself. Here's how, try this first:

5200 CONTROLLERS - CLEANING AND MAINTENANCE http://www.atarihq.com/5200/5200faq/05_02_01.html

If the above doesn't work (most likely will though) Then try this:

REPLACING AND REPAIRING 5200 CONTROLLERS http://www.atarihq.com/5200/5200faq/05_02_02.html

Good Luck!

Of course it is! After all, one was already made, wasn't it? Even if the "masterplay," which is what your refering to, wasn't made, anything is possible with a little "know-how." Anyone who ever says different, doesn't know how.

Thanks a lot! Now to scour eBay for some broken-but-not-too-broken controllers...

Oh, I've also seen information about an adapter that lets you use 2600 controllers on a 5200. It looks really cool, but is supposedly rare. Is it possible to *make* something like this with a little know-how?

--Zero

Just to further my point, quite a few years ago I asked people about converting a Sega Genesis controller to work with my 7800(people had done similiar things with Mastersystem controllers), people were sarcastic, rude and patronizing, saying it couldn't be done because of the circuitry being totally different, even if the plug was the same. Well I totally ignored the idiots and proceeded to boldly go ahead with my "hack" anyway. With a total bypass of the chip, diodes and capaciters, and a little wire crossing and soldering, I now have a Genesis controller that works perfectly with my 7800. Both the "a" and "b" buttons work like the two 7800 buttons and it is not only 100% compatible with my 7800 now, but naturally, it works with my XE and C64 and will work with Amigas, ST's, Vic-20, and the venerable 2600 too.

quote:

Originally posted by Ze_ro:

What I mean is, is it possible to make one without a team of engineers and custom made chips?
:P

--Zero

I guess that would depend on just how much "know how" you have...Personally, I've never had any "official" training in electronics, what I know, I've taught my self through experimentation and trial and error, as well as "learning" from other sources on my own. I may attempt something like that myself in the near future, but as always, it would be through experimentation and trial&error(of course I'd get all the info&schematics I can find on 5200 controllers and the system itself). But, another option that is readily available to you is making a "y" adapter cable to use a PC analog joystick or "flightstick" with the 5200. I believe the instructions and parts list for the project are available through www.atarihq.com under the 5200 section (I might have seen it somewhere else, so I'll get back to you on that if it's not there).