IGNORED

Decompress pictures

TXG/MNX

Depends on the kind of picture.

For photos/complex graphics, and if you can tolerate some quality loss, BPEG will give much better compression ratios than others formats.

You can also try Ray's BIQ stuff (at the end of the page):

http://web.archive.org/web/20070206115827/http://freenet-homepage.de/ray.tscc/misc.htm

For simple graphics or if you need perfect quality, try ICE, LZ, ARJ, etc. and see which one works best with your pictures.

• Like 2

Hi,

Didn't know this BIQ stuff only the jaguar supports not there:

at present BIQ supports 8bpp greyscale, 8bpp colormapped (!) and 24bpp RGB images.support for 16bpp RGB / 16bpp CrY (jaguar) is planned for the future.

But compression ration seems pretty good.

I mainly use 256 color BMP files size 320x200 and 160x200 I want to decompress them as quick as possible so within 1 frame when possible.

He's not going to get ANYTHING for images with decent compression that will decode in one frame... that's the realm of video compressors where they compress over several/many frames to get the compression while being roughly fast enough to decode in one frame. If he wants that, he should be looking at cinepak, not any single image compression scheme.

I decided to start with ice packer, thats also used in Native from Duranik and seems pretty quick, there is dsp version and source. I did see that the pictures from that game were very small in compression so that would fit my need I guess but I will do more tests in the future to see if I stay with ice or switch.

That was an old thread :-) I see I visited this aswell someway I lost it. Thanx, there was also a talk about lz78 I remember is that an even better decompressor ?

There are many formats so I get a little confused by lz77, lz78 etc.. It seems to me both can get the same packing ratio only the way it works is different.

I did read about lz4, it should not compress aswell as lz77 but would be very fast (how much would the packing ratio be compared to lz77) ? Is there an lz4 decoder for the dsp ? Or @GT Turbo could you write one ... :grin:

I have started with Gfa basic, and after i started to learn asm, it was very difficult at the beginning, but when you got some knowledges with this langage, it's a powerful langage, giving speed and technics :)

If you have questions, just ask, there are a lot of experimented coders in 68000 here :)