IGNORED

Dead PS3

Tempest

My PS3 just gave me a blinking red light tonight. This is the second time this has happened. The first time I had Sony repair it (out of warranty) because it's a PS2 BC Fat model, but this time I'm wondering if I'm better off just buying a new slim. I have a PS2 I use for PS2 gaming and I've actually never used the BC mode on the PS3 (I always saw it as a 'backup' just in case the PS2 died). What does Sony charge to fix these things? I think the last time I did this it was $150 + shipping which means I might as well get a new one instead of a crappy refurb (which is what they game me last time).

I'm just hoping I can get the old one back up and running long enough to get my saved games and data off it. If I can't, I'm not sure what I can do (do I lose all my purchased games?). This is really frustrating because I'm really close to finishing up FF X-2 HD after spending far far FAR too long on it.

EDIT: Even after letting it cool down (not that it was too hot to begin with) it doesn't look like it's going to work. I can't even get my disc out at this point. Looks like backing up any data is out of the question. Does anyone have any experience with those 12GB PS3s? I was thinking about getting one of those since they're the cheapest and slapping my 80GB HD in.

Red light blinks usually is a hard drive issue. Try pulling the drive out and dust out the PS3 with an airduster (not the computer ones, the ones like hairdryers or even a powerful hairdryer if you dont have a duster). I use this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001J4ZOAW/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also if you have a spare drive somewhere plug that in and see if it boots up without a blinking red light.

I assume you dont have PSplus and have it auto save your saves to cloud storage? :P

If all else fails, get a 12GB model definitely since putting in a hard drive is pathetically easy.

I tried pulling out and plugging the HD in. No luck. However I tried the hair dryer trick (15 min of blowing hot air into the back of the PS3 vents) and that brought it back to life (I removed the HD first of course). I got the disc out and shut it back down again as I have no clue as to how long this thing is going to last. Now I have a bit of a dilemma:

1. Do I keep using my original PS3 and hope that it never has this issue again?

2. Do I get a new PS3 and sell the old one?

I've read conflicting reports on how long this fix lasts. Some people say only a few hours while some people are saying it's good to go for years. I have no idea how this fixed it as I can't believe it got hot enough to reflow the solder only using a hair dryer, but it did work. Could it have simply blown out the dust that was causing the issue?

My only issue with 1. is that if it dies on me again, I have no guarantee I can get it working again (although people say you can do the hair dryer trick over again) and there go my saved games. My issue with 2. is that I'm not sure I feel right selling my old unit knowing that it may be on borrowed time even to a place like Gamestop. Then again, if I'm up front about it maybe someone will still want it? I hear the PS2 BC models are still in demand. What do they go for?

Does that 12GB require a special hard drive bracket or can I use the one from my current PS3?

Suggestions?

I would suggest backing up all your saves to a memory stick as fast as possible and maybe getting PS+. The hairdryer trick lasted about a day for me and I ended up losing all my saves. As long as you haven't game shared digital purchases, you can download them again on a new PS3. I've hung onto mine because I usually don't sell anything, but if I ever did, I would be upfront about it not working.

I have a situation similar to yours, Tempest. My launch day unit suffered the YLOD. I had it repaired at a local computer store and all was well until it died a 2nd time in under a year. The computer store has since closed and I don't feel like shipping the system off to Sony for a big $$$$ repair.

My solution was to buy a new Slim system and accept the fact that my game saves were gone. I now use the cloud for my saves in case I have problems in the future.

The dilemma I face is what to do with my original system. I have information on it, including old CC info, that I don't want anyone else to have. And since the system is dead, I cannot reformat it back to original specs. So I am reluctant to sell it or give it away because of not knowing what info might still remain. I know I can pull the hard drive and perhaps sell the console itself, but I'm not sure what info of mine might still remain within the internal memory/firmware of the system.

Edited by Mendon

I have a friend who works on an electronic repairing service and he told me the PS3 always fails. Even after repairing they last for a year or so (depends on usage).

Seems like is an overheating problem. I can't remember if they even reballed some chips.

They have a closed full of damaged PS3, of all models.

Bah, it appears that the Slim model has been discontinued and all you can get are those fugly expensive super slim bundles ($260 for a last gen value model system? Really???). At this point I'm almost inclined to keep my PS3 fat and see how long she runs.

I thought about getting that 12GB model and swapping in a new hard drive, but I only have the one from my PS3 Fat and removing it would render that system unusable. If I go through the hassle of buying a new drive for $50 or so, I might as well get one of those bundles. There really seem to be no good answers here unless I can find an old Slim bundle somewhere. Would it be possible to find those in still in some unpopular store like Sears or Kmart? They're not that long out of production (two years I think).

The hard drives are the same in all the units so you can pick up any model you want although I'm not familiar with the new ugly ones.

My original fat lasted a year...got it repaired and the one they sent me has lasted forever. I also picked up a fat 60GB from a gamestop a few years ago as a spare and its been fine. Lucky me I guess.

I got a year one slim as part of a black Friday TV deal and that has also lasted. Those original slims are great and built like tanks I've read. Hard to find though....and of course no BC but if you have a paper slim PS2 its no big deal.

The hard drives are the same in all the units so you can pick up any model you want although I'm not familiar with the new ugly ones.

My original fat lasted a year...got it repaired and the one they sent me has lasted forever. I also picked up a fat 60GB from a gamestop a few years ago as a spare and its been fine. Lucky me I guess.

I got a year one slim as part of a black Friday TV deal and that has also lasted. Those original slims are great and built like tanks I've read. Hard to find though....and of course no BC but if you have a paper slim PS2 its no big deal.

Yeah but I'm sure you had it repaired properly, not by shoving a hair dryer in the vents. :) I'm guessing mine is a temporary fix.

The new super slims are really cheap looking. They look like they're made of dollar store plastic and instead of having the front loading disc drive the lid slides open and you put the disc in directly (like the old PS2 swap trick). They couldn't have made it look any cheaper if they tried. They're supposed to be super quiet though.

I might go looking for a NOS Slim model and failing to find that keep using my Fat and hope it doesn't die again. Still, I think it's only a matter of time.

I have 2 super slims and one fat... fat makes waaaay too much noise and it's big as hell. Actually prefer the smaller design that runs much cooler, much quieter and don't have to worry about the disc sucking mech breaking or scratching my games.

Btw: Tempest, not sure if you saw it or not, but I'm selling my spare (brand new) 250gb super slim for $200. There's also a really good deal on a slim with the Move goodies for $215 in the marketplace under Guitarmas' listing.

Haven't bumped my sale thread much because I kinda like the idea of having a spare when it comes to this particular system. :ponder:

Yeah but I'm sure you had it repaired properly, not by shoving a hair dryer in the vents. :) I'm guessing mine is a temporary fix.

Yeah I sent mine to Sony and they just gave me another unit cause the unit seemed brand new. Stickers and everything. It was the first year of release. I cant remember if I paid anything since it was in the first year it happened.

If you get a slim or super slim I think you'll be fine....I still use my slim PS2.

Off topic a bit (but hey, it's my thread), I have a fat PS2 that had that tray grinding noise problem. Is there an easy way to fix that?

Also, if I buy a used PS3 and it has a game downloaded to it from the PS Store, can I activate my account on the system and not lose that game? I know the data transfer utility will wipe everything on the new PS3, but I don't need to use that for the one saved game I care about (FF X/X-2 HD).

Off topic a bit (but hey, it's my thread), I have a fat PS2 that had that tray grinding noise problem. Is there an easy way to fix that?

Also, if I buy a used PS3 and it has a game downloaded to it from the PS Store, can I activate my account on the system and not lose that game? I know the data transfer utility will wipe everything on the new PS3, but I don't need to use that for the one saved game I care about (FF X/X-2 HD).

The band on the tray to open and close is probably not tight. I dont think you'll have problems but will need replacement if it stops working. I'm not an expert with that problem though but I read up on it as my fat PS2 does the same thing.

You wont lose any games if you activate the console but I dont think you'll be able to play the game if its not activated under someones account. You can activate two consoles (used to be five) but yeah existing games will stay there.

The band on the tray to open and close is probably not tight. I dont think you'll have problems but will need replacement if it stops working. I'm not an expert with that problem though but I read up on it as my fat PS2 does the same thing.

Is there a place to buy new ones? Is it easy to replace?

You wont lose any games if you activate the console but I dont think you'll be able to play the game if its not activated under someones account. You can activate two consoles (used to be five) but yeah existing games will stay there.

So if I create a new user on the new PS3 and then link it to my account I won't be able to play the downloaded game that's on there? Is there a way to transfer it to my account?

When you get the new/used PS3 and activate using your username, you can re-download all your games, I did that.

The hair dryier trick will not work for long, maybe 1hr or so. When my 20GB PS3 died, I did that, and the first thing I did is backup my PS3 save data.

I have a spare "40GB" PS3 with 750GB HD that it's been working fine so far, but when it dies, I'm planning to get the Super Slim 12GB model and slap my 750GB hd in it.

(I have a backup done to my portable HD when I upgraded from 300GB to 750GB, so it's less downloading when it dies)

To save money you could get one from Pawn Shop, I have seen Slim PS3s from $150 or less, or wait till xmas and there might me a good sale on the 12GB models.

The hair dryier trick will not work for long, maybe 1hr or so. When my 20GB PS3 died, I did that, and the first thing I did is backup my PS3 save data.

Yeah that's what I'm afraid of. I've heard differing reports on how long it lasts (minutes to years). I guess it depends on how bad the damage was to begin with. I plan to get my precious saved games off it and then let it sit for a bit to see if it dies again. If it lasts a few hours then I might hook it up to my upstairs TV as a media server.

When you get the new/used PS3 and activate using your username, you can re-download all your games, I did that.

Will doing this deactivate any games the previous user downloaded?

Will doing this deactivate any games the previous user downloaded?

Yes (edit: it's probably Yes and No at the same time. If there is no password and the game was purchased it may work, but if the game was a PS+ then you need to login to get it verified. You can have 2 or more users on PS3)

What I would do, is the System Restore and start like it was new. Enter your info and login to PSN.

BTW, when you insert a new HD, even from your old PS3, everything will be erased anyway.

Edited by amiman99

BTW, when you insert a new HD, even from your old PS3, everything will be erased anyway.

I'm not swapping hard drives or anything.

I might just play the game through once before I do anything and then do the whole system transfer and restore. The game (Ducktales) is super short and not the kind of thing I'd go back and replay anyway.

A few months ago my PS3 started freezing up and after a couple days of this, it finally said it was unable to find the storage device. Everyone keeps quoting $150 to fix the systems, but when I called them up (and fully planned on complaining my way into a free repair), it turned out that it's only $80 now. When I asked about it, they stated that just after the PS4 came out they lowered the repair costs of the PS3.