IGNORED

Decent Spectrum Emulator for Windows ?

Sharky

I know very little about Spectrum computers because ive never owned one before.

But I do like to play games on Spectrum with Emulation.

Ive got 3 Spectrum Emulators for my OS (Windows Me)

But they all have downers.

Z80 version v4.00 - Is Shareware and you have to wait a lot time on the start up screen.

Z80 (DOS) v4.00 - Its DOS and gives you a time limit of just 10 minutes.

Speccyal v0.75 - Its looks good since its for windows but how to you get it to load TAP images ?

RealSpec v92.21 - again its DOS and my computer doesnt like DOS Programs.

Whats the best Spectrum Emulator to use thats for the Windows enviroment and not Shareware :| ?

There are a lot of versions of the Z80 emu, just try going through Google for Spectrum sites - most of them list Spec software & occasionally more than emu is listed.

Last time I used one was one that came on a CD-ROM (+000's of games). Worked very well & cost me about £5.

Hope that helps :)

Rightfully named Multi-Machine, this emulator, in addition to emulating the Spectrum (16/48/48+/128/+2/+2A/+3 flavors), this emulator also supports emulation for Sinclair's Z80 and Z81, the Timex Sinclair 1000 and 2068, the Amstrad CPC series, the Jupiter Ace, and the Enterprise. Work is in progress to emulate the Amstrad PCW series, the MSX series, and the TRS-80 series. Currently, Multi-Machine supports all the major Spectrum CPU state (aka 'snapshot') filetypes, such as .Z80 (48K and 128K), .SNA, and .SLT, as well as native filetypes from virtually all the older Spectrum emulators, as well as the .TAP and .TSX formats for tape files and tape data recordings encoded as .VOC sound files, and under the +3, support for .DSK disk image files . Peripheral support for Kempston and Sinclair joysticks via the PC joystick or keyboard is included. Multi-Machine requires DirectX 5, and should run at full speed on any Pentium system. This emulator, along with X128, are our Spectrum emulators of choice; if you're a Speccy fanatic, and you have Win95, look into this emu seriously.

Best of all, its not dos. http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Stadi...4428/index.html

I would reccomend X128, as it is the most compatible and smooth emu out there, but its DOS mode.

into this emu seriously.

Best of all, its not dos. http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Stadi...4428/index.html

I would reccomend X128, as it is the most compatible and smooth emu out there, but its DOS mode.

This looks like just what I need, looking at the screen-shots.

But as soon as I click on the download link. Im getting PAGE NOT FOUND

error. :(

Maybe because its trying to get to Geocities of Yahoo because those links never seem to work anymore.

Ill just have to keep trying i guess. :|

I recommend Real Spectrum Windows version, very compatible, supports everything from 16K  to the Russian clones, lots of options and handy to use.

www.ramsoft.bbk.org/realspec.html (unreachable right now, Italian servers I guess...)

It worked! :) I downloaded it and got it going...

Ive still got my older Real Spectrum (DOS) and Im beginning to have problems with it.

1. The default video mode is all wrong on my OS

2. It sometimes causes my whole PC to lock up and I have to restart windows

Ill still have to keep DOS because its looks like the Windows version is very beta.

I mean 320 x 240 window is too small (No way to enlarge it :( ?)

Kempston/Sinchair joystick emulation isnt working with my keyboard :(

Other than that its Great.

Umm! :| Is there a way you can save your emulator setting so I dont have to change video modes, and selecting the joystick everything I start Realspec ? :?

• 4 weeks later...