IGNORED

HSC11 Round 18: Quasimodo & Catch-Up

Here have a hump...

Making his HSC debut it's Quasimodo

and for those who want some extra action a couple of bonus games:

Hunchback (OS/B; use the translator utility on the ATR below)

and Des Bells from Atari User Magazine

quasimodo.pnghunch_back.pngpost-19705-0-72256400-1412632674.png

This round is also a chance to catch-up any missed games or improve scores from previous rounds A-P (main games only), just post here. [Top three players will need to beat the score above them to get a point not just beat their own scores.]

Quasimodo is superb but will take some practice to master the 3 stage game in the HSC period, really rewarding to play and a heap of fun. I quite liked Hunchback too, just make it to the bell to complete each screen. It's fairly pixel perfect but you can make progress after a few goes and many cusses. I remembered Des Bells being one of the best type in games, so that's double #£$*%" !!!.

Quasimodo Rules: There is a secret portal you can activate to skip the first stage but don't use this in this HSC round. Top players: there is a flaw where you can easily rack up points and extra men on the third stage so please just play to complete the levels :)

Download: I've created an ATR with the games (and translator utility) on it:

HSC11-Round18-Rings a Bell.atr

any problems let me know :-o

Hunch Back Load the Translator Utility and press Start [F2] before loading. Des Bells is BASIC but runs ok from this disk as it is (if you switch the emulator to OS/B for Hunch Back you will need to swicth it back for Des Bells to run. )

ROUND CLOSES Friday 24th October 10pm UK time

EVERYONE WELCOME TO JOIN IN THE FUN - JUST PLAY AND POST YOUR SCORES :)

p.s. any one disparaging Quasimodo will be superglued to their Atari and made to play Castle Top, luckily for you guys it wasn't NTSC compatible :grin:castle_top.png

Edited by therealbountybob
  • Like 2

Fun, but tough game; I did make it past those 4 bells and up the ladder, but that's about it.

Will take a lot of practise but it can be done, the bat movement patterns are consistent. It's really neat that you can swing the ropes yourself (Pitfall or Jungle Hunt could have been so much more fun) . Will be interesting to see how I get on as it's a l-o-n-g time since I played Quasi :)

Tried for an improvement on Galaxian and Bristles but got nowhere near

I've noticed that too - when you concentrate on a game in it's regular round then go back to it for the odd go you soon realise how focussed you were at the time :)

• Like 1

I have got the second jewel but died on the way back

:thumbsup: Me too [then I got to the start of the tower wall] 33,140

Des Bells 1,960 haven't figured out the moving bridge - might have to jump onto it perhaps :idea:

Hunchback 28,740 [trbb pulls arrows out of his back]

nice to see a few players back, should be a fun round :)

Edited by therealbountybob

I just tried this out briefly and don't yet have a score I'm willing to post :)

After clearing away the guys on the ladders I grabbed the jewel. You put the jewel back and then start back at the guys on the ladder stage, but this time after clearing them you have to get up the bells. Is that right?

I remember liking this as a kid (and pretty much all Synapse games), but I can't quite remember if that's correct or not. I couldn't land that last jump off the bell to the ladder on the right, and I just want to make sure I'm not forgetting something or doing something wrong.

I've got lots of time this weekend so expect a score from me well before the last day this time :)

• Like 1

I just tried this out briefly and don't yet have a score I'm willing to post :)

After clearing away the guys on the ladders I grabbed the jewel. You put the jewel back and then start back at the guys on the ladder stage, but this time after clearing them you have to get up the bells. Is that right?

I remember liking this as a kid (and pretty much all Synapse games), but I can't quite remember if that's correct or not. I couldn't land that last jump off the bell to the ladder on the right, and I just want to make sure I'm not forgetting something or doing something wrong.

I've got lots of time this weekend so expect a score from me well before the last day this time :)

There are a couple of videos on youtube if anyone is really stuck; but it's much more fun figuring it out - vague hints: you go back up to the very top for the 2nd jewel and work your way back down but not the same route! - press fire to drop off a rope, there are no time limits so be patient and wait for the gaps at first. You can jump off to the platforms not to the ladders; yes the first platform on the right - pull left as you land!

Don't be shy with those work in progress scores guys, it all encourages others to post - look at roadrunner with his 10 for Castle Top*, and we're not even playing that sucker :-o :-D :thumbsup: [*emulator users stick the video settings on PAL]

• Like 1

Don't be shy with those work in progress scores guys, it all encourages others to post - look at roadrunner with his 10 for Castle Top*, and we're not even playing that sucker :-o :-D :thumbsup: [*emulator users stick the video settings on PAL]

Well since you shamed me in to it, I'll admit that I scored maybe 3000 the first time, got it to 15500 this morning :)

(Mostly I don't bother because I either don't have a camera or do and can't be bothered to take a picture LOL).

Made it to the 3rd set of screens, which I don't think I've seen before. Blew it so I'll definitely try again to get further.

Current High: 36690

post-2091-0-09906400-1412978139_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

First Tables

Quasimodo

1st therealbountybob(p)76,810 12pts

2nd nature boy (n) 36,690 11pts
3rd Gorfy (n) 34,740 10pts
4th Champions_2002 (p) 29,090 9pts
5th McKong (p) 26,600 8pts
6th CaptainClassic (p) 19,320 7pts
7th adam242 (n) 13,100 6pts
8th darthkur (n) 11,010 5pts
9th roadrunner (n) 8,790 4pts

Hunch Back
1st CaptainClassic (n) 30,300 4pts
2nd therealbountybob (p) 29,560 3pts
3rd darthkur (n) 28,800 2pts
4th roadrunner (n) 2,920 1pt

Des Dells
1st CaptainClassic (n) 2,005 4pts
2nd therealbountybob (p) 1,960 3pts
3rd darthkur (n) 1,215 2pts
4th roadrunner (n) 690 1pt
:)

another small improvement: 42,540

Still haven't made it past the shooting soldiers -- do you have to get all of them, or is it timed?

You "just" need to get Quasimodo the top! After a while you figure out a strategy - what is nice is the Solidiers are activated by proximity. The small issue with the game is they are worth too many points and they come back on between screens so players could deliberately hover between the screens and rack up a giant score and extra men. So just play to do the levels folks ;)

• Like 1