IGNORED

Galaga Crashing All the Time

VectorGamer

I dont have the game, but could it be a problem with your SGM ? maybe faulty ram ?

I am sure Collectorvision tested the game for pretty long time.

Did you play other SGM games without any problems at the same hardware?

I've never had any problems with other games on my CV, SGM or non-SGM games

Simply send your cartridge back to us for a replacement

I tried the MSX version on an emulator and it crashed on about level 5 or so. Someone said the Colecovision version is based on the MSX version. I do not have the Colecovision cart to test for myself. Just providing some feedback.

Chuck

On a couple occassions while playing the screen graphics have become completely corrupted. Also, my AtariMax cart dumper (which needs to make very good contact with the card edge connector) would not recognize the cart and I had to revert to old-school techniques to make a rom dump for playing via the SD cart by using my ADAM Computer. I haven't experienced any problems when playing using the rom dump, so this leads me to believe their could be an issue with the PCB in my cart.

usely Collectorvision use good quality PCB, so I think a Collectorvision cartrigde make as good contact with the slot-reader (inside the Colecovision) as the AtariMAX does.

Indeed, I've never had an issue with any of the CollectorVision releases (I have them all plus some custom made items), but this one seems to be an intermittent issue with the cart as it rarely happens and when playing the rom dump on the SD Cart... it has never happened in the short time that I have played it.

I have two Galaga carts. I played the first one and on the second game, part way into Level 2, the graphics suddenly became corrupted as shown in the image below. The enemy and my fighter were still visible and the game continued to play, i.e. I could move the fighter left and right and the enemy moved and flew down the screen. So, it's not a complete crash of the program. I played around 20 more games on the same cart and the problem didn't occur again.

I also played a bunch of games on my second cart and the problem didn't occur at all.

post-5757-0-78255000-1413210690_thumb.jpg

I have two Galaga carts. I played the first one and on the second game, part way into Level 2, the graphics suddenly became corrupted as shown in the image below. The enemy and my fighter were still visible and the game continued to play, i.e. I could move the fighter left and right and the enemy moved and flew down the screen. So, it's not a complete crash of the program. I played around 20 more games on the same cart and the problem didn't occur again.

I also played a bunch of games on my second cart and the problem didn't occur at all.

This is exactly what happened to me the last time I played Galaga and has happened multiple times.

Did you try making a rom dump of the cart that experiences issues and then give it a good play testing via the AtariMax Ultimate SD Cart? I played my rom dump a little more and did not have any issues with it, so perhaps there was a batch of bad PCBs or rom chips and it's not a bug in the program code.

Anyway, it's a really good version of Galaga with the bonus stages... unlike the SG-1000 version!

It looks like a problem of portage. Seems to be a VRAM corruption , you can not determine easly exactly when it happens , because it occurs when the nmi occurs while the program is accessing VRAM. MSX and SG1000 don't have that issue because the VBlank is not wired on a non maskable Interrupts. (nmi) . When you convert a game from MSX/SG1000 to Colecovision you have to take that in account and it can be very tricky. :(

The nmi on colevision is a knightmare for lot of developper (including me!!). But when you port a game it becomes even more harder to fix this kind of issue because it is not your code.

So you can play the game without seing it , but another player could have it all the time , because it uses to do something that the other one does not do.

Edited by youki

Guys, I see some of you having problem with your Galaga carts.

So if you have a problem with your cart, please do not hesitate to PM me for return address.

We will be happy to replace any defect. Thank you

What would be useful is if the problem could be confirmed to be either a fault with the cart or a coding issue (perhaps along the lines of that described by youki above). I'd rather not return my cart(s) unless I knew for certain that the replacement fixed the problem.

What would be useful is if the problem could be confirmed to be either a fault with the cart or a coding issue (perhaps along the lines of that described by youki above). I'd rather not return my cart(s) unless I knew for certain that the replacement fixed the problem.

Well, my cart is on the way back to Canada. I hope you guys know for sure what the problem is and fix it before sending the cart back.

It would be helpful to gain more evidence from more owners, including how often it happens, when it happens, what happens. As much information as possible. Then we can hopefully figure out the root of the problem.