IGNORED

Wii U setup questions, esp. for parents

WestofHouse

My daughter wants a Wii U for Christmas, so when I spotted a great deal on a bundle a couple of weeks ago I went ahead a bought it. Since I bought it so far ahead of Christmas I decided to connect and test it in secret to make sure it works properly. Holy crap, I'm glad I did. If I'd have waited until Christmas day to set it up my it would probably have been New Year's Eve before my daughter could play.

I was so confused with the setup and update process. First, I didn't realize that my Wii doesn't use a Nintendo Network ID. I was trying to use an existing one on the Wii U. Second, while trying to sign in, it kept saying an update was required before using online services.

The first update failed after about twenty minutes of trying. Then I inserted the Super Mario World 3D disc, thinking that it might include an update. It did, and that took about a half hour. Then I went back to the ID sign in, and it still said an update was required, but it was no longer giving me the option to update. So I ended up canceling all the Network ID options and created a Test Mii just so I could make it to the home screen and try a manual update. That update took about twenty minutes.

Next I thought it would be a good idea to transfer all my daughter's data from the Wii to the Wii U so it would be ready for her to play on Christmas morning. I downloaded the transfer apps and was ready to go when I saw in the instructions that the procedure permanently erases all data from the Wii, basically formatting it. Wow. It pays to read instructions.

So I aborted that and decided to create a new Mii for my daughter with no Nintendo ID so she could at least play offline right away.

Now I'm still not sure how I should proceed with the setup, especially regarding parental controls and online access for my daughter. I want her to be able to play online, but I don't want her to be exposed to asshats in chat, and I also want to limit her access to things such as YouTube and Amazon Video.

Those of you who are parents with a Wii U, how do you have yours set up?

TLDR version: Wii U setup is a pain in the ass, and I need suggestions for parental control settings.

It's been a long time since I set up a Wii U, but I remember the process being very, very cumbersome. A solid internet connection helps. Also, you should be able to play games without doing the setup. I'd call Nintendo America (they have excellent, free tech support) and make sure that you don't have a lemon. The good news is we're a long way out from Christmas.

Edit: The first Wii U that I bought turned out to be defective.

Edited by toptenmaterial

My daughter wants a Wii U for Christmas, so when I spotted a great deal on a bundle a couple of weeks ago I went ahead a bought it. Since I bought it so far ahead of Christmas I decided to connect and test it in secret to make sure it works properly. Holy crap, I'm glad I did. If I'd have waited until Christmas day to set it up my it would probably have been New Year's Eve before my daughter could play.

I was so confused with the setup and update process. First, I didn't realize that my Wii doesn't use a Nintendo Network ID. I was trying to use an existing one on the Wii U. Second, while trying to sign in, it kept saying an update was required before using online services.

The first update failed after about twenty minutes of trying. Then I inserted the Super Mario World 3D disc, thinking that it might include an update. It did, and that took about a half hour. Then I went back to the ID sign in, and it still said an update was required, but it was no longer giving me the option to update. So I ended up canceling all the Network ID options and created a Test Mii just so I could make it to the home screen and try a manual update. That update took about twenty minutes.

Next I thought it would be a good idea to transfer all my daughter's data from the Wii to the Wii U so it would be ready for her to play on Christmas morning. I downloaded the transfer apps and was ready to go when I saw in the instructions that the procedure permanently erases all data from the Wii, basically formatting it. Wow. It pays to read instructions.

So I aborted that and decided to create a new Mii for my daughter with no Nintendo ID so she could at least play offline right away.

Now I'm still not sure how I should proceed with the setup, especially regarding parental controls and online access for my daughter. I want her to be able to play online, but I don't want her to be exposed to asshats in chat, and I also want to limit her access to things such as YouTube and Amazon Video.

Those of you who are parents with a Wii U, how do you have yours set up?

TLDR version: Wii U setup is a pain in the ass, and I need suggestions for parental control settings.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't seen chat in a game yet, actually. There are the custom drawings with the stamps and stuff but they seem to be pretty moderated so far. I have a 2 year old running around when I play, so I have mild concerns like you do. Mario Kart just has pre-loaded sayings, no chat. Same with the Mario Games and their reliance on the stamps and stuff.. CoD had loads of nasty racism and what not in it, but that's not a game I imagine you'll drop your child off in. The communities seem to be pretty well moderated so far.