IGNORED

Who is from Belarus?

kaufenpreis

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I studied Russian for three years in college and even spent one week in Moscow, but it was more than 20 years ago and I've forgotten so much of the language that I won't even attempt trying to write something. I still have the textbooks, an carry the illusion that if I sat down and went through them together with my pocket dictionary, I'd be able to regain nearly the skills I had in college, which itself equalled Russian language at the level of what perhaps a five year old native would speak and write.

• Like 1

I studied at my local college here in town. Russian was fun to learn the first two years when it mostly was about words. Then in the third year the grammar with all the cases, tenses and other modifiers hit me like a brick. I do have a true Cyrillic keymap installed though, in case I'd ever want to write Привет but since every letter is in a different location, I should probably go with a homophonic layout instead.

I think you missed an "л". It reminds me of a member of our group who went one week to Moscow. His name was Joachim, which on his visa was translitterated as Юахим or if it even was Юажим, so of course his host family insisted to call him accordingly to what the visa said, not paying attention to that he really pronounced his name "yo-a-kim" with a hard K.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...