IGNORED

sd cartridge for 7800?

metzger130

Verified - a different SD card is working fine.

On a different note: I tried the copy of Commando linked above and I can hear the music, but it's very low volume. I hear the other sounds in the game fine.

Ballblazer seems just fine with respect to the music sound level, so I wondered if anyone had any other ideas about Commando.

Also, what are some homebrew titles that use the POKEY?

Do you have a modded 7800 or a PAL 7800?

Mitch

I have a NTSC 7800 on which I've done an A/V mod. Nothing else special.

A lot of A/V modded 7800s have the wrong resistor value for the POKEY audio channel. This causes the POKEY audio to be too soft.

Mitch

But why would Ballblazer be fine and Commando not? :?

Perhaps it is sort of an auditory illusion. Ballblazer is strictly POKEY, while Commando contains POKEY for background music, but TIA for sound effects.

Standalone the POKEY levels sound normal, but when heard in conjunction with TIA, the POKEY is drowned out due to, as Mitch mentioned, an incorrect resistor/audio mod.

• Like 1

But why would Ballblazer be fine and Commando not? :?

Actually, it affects Ballblazer as well but you don't notice because you can't hear the TIA sound being louder. It's the difference in volume that makes it noticeable in Commando.

Mitch

edit: Looks like Trebor beat me to it

• Like 1

Has anyone tried my Donkey Kong XM demo? I'm curious if it works with Concerto. Also, does Concerto emulate the High score cart?

Use one of the versions built for XM support.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/204250-donkey-kong-xm-pre-order-and-demo/page-1?do=findComment&comment=2621136

Just tried all versions, all play (NTSC) except the Pokey is not detected.

I'm looking at that page, but unfortunately due to font issues I can't tell where the two audio signals come from in the "where to get signals" portion of the page! Do you guys know which points on the board will give me the audio signals?

Here's a post from a while back with a picture. http://atariage.com/forums/topic/185950-lhe-mod-problems/?p=2343932

Mitch

A lot of A/V modded 7800s have the wrong resistor value for the POKEY audio channel. This causes the POKEY audio to be too soft.

Mitch

Mine was A/V modded by Best, and I can confirm that Ballblazer audio is LOUD on mine. Sadly I don't have a Commando to test with. I could see this being a problem in the future as XMs and Concertos get shipped out and homebrews that use both TIA and Pokey start to exist.

TIA sound effects and Pokey musical soundtrack is really a perfect marriage as you don't have to worry that the sound effects get in the way of the music.

Also are these re-release units for sale yet? Coming soon? I have one spare Ballblazer ready to sacrifice for the Concerto if Hokey isn't ready at release.

I assume the pokey chip out of an 800 would work ? I have a spare one of those. I think Brad sells pokey chips for $25 at best electronics. Cheaper than a rework station.

detail_1005_7800_Ripoff_detail.jpg

:ponder: :ponder: :ponder:

• Like 1

The mod I did is just the opposite. On games (well, game singular -- just Beef Drop) that use both POKEY and TIA, you can barely hear the POKEY on the mod I did, but TIA is loud and clear. Ballblazer, which is 100% POKEY, is loud and clear. I bought a pack of pots to try to balance the sound, but I don't know if that's going to be a good solution.

Perhaps it is sort of an auditory illusion. Ballblazer is strictly POKEY, while Commando contains POKEY for background music, but TIA for sound effects.

Standalone the POKEY levels sound normal, but when heard in conjunction with TIA, the POKEY is drowned out due to, as Mitch mentioned, an incorrect resistor/audio mod.

Actually, it affects Ballblazer as well but you don't notice because you can't hear the TIA sound being louder. It's the difference in volume that makes it noticeable in Commando.

Mitch

edit: Looks like Trebor beat me to it

I still haven't played Commando all that much on the 7800, so I haven't compared the two directly to each other, but it's always seemed to me that Ballblazer cranks the POKEY's volume way up to get some distortion into the sound. This is especially obvious on the 5200, or at least on my 5200 anyway. If Commando doesn't amp up its music as much, that could make the differences between Commando's TIA and POKEY sounds even more noticeable than those between Ballblazer and a TIA-only game.

Put in a Pokey, connect the audio out to an oscilloscope. Measure the maximum peak-to-peak signal. Put in some random game with obnoxious sound effects; rinse and repeat. Peak-to-peak levels should be about the same if the mod is balanced properly.

Does anyone have a Best AV modded 7800 and a Commando to test with? Not Electronic Sentimentalities or any other 3rd party AV + S-Video mod, but just Best audio + composite. Best used an "official" AV mod developed in house by Atari engineers.

I had the same issue with my modded 7800.

I added a trim pot to get it evened out..

I was planning on, once I got it right, pulling it back out, measuring it, and replacing it with a standard resistor, but .. yeah, that never happened. ;-)

Still a small trim pot in there..

No idea if the volume level is "correct" but it seemed like a better balance to me...

desiv

I think I still have a pic of it.. Man, that's a bad solder job.. Don't look at that part!! ;-)

http://s1014.photobucket.com/user/villaesc/media/misc/trimpot.jpg.html?sort=3&o=5

• Like 1