IGNORED

How to completely power down a Wii?

atarilovesyou

I recall a thread here some time ago where people found that their system was still drawing lots of power even in shut-off mode...I think it had to do with the Wii trying to connect to the online server or something.

I was wondering: when you turn it off, and the red LED comes on, is there some way to COMPLETELY turn it off? My slim PS2 had that same kinda thing with the green and red LED, but if you held down the power button for a few seconds, it would completely shut down. Can the Wii do something like that?

I don't have mine hooked up to the internet (although it did get an update from a copy of Just Dance 2014) and I don't usually keep it plugged into the ethernet port, but what was the setting to make the system go truly off when I want it to?

Just want this little baby to last as long as possible!...having a great time with it with the fam.

I suspect that there's individual switches too that you could purchase to go between the Wii's power plug and the power strip, if you want to isolate your Wii while powering something else plugged into the power strip.

They'd probably come in handy too for older consoles where the plug is part of the actual power supply rather than at the end of a cable such as with the Wii. No big power bricks making some of the outlets on a surge protector useless.

When you hold the power button down long enough to turn it red, it is fully off. When the light is yellow/orange it is in standby mode, which you don't want.

Don't forget that just by disabling the now useless WiiConnect24 feature in the settings (I'd argue that it was always useless, but it's offline and dead now), the Wii will go to red automatically when turned off.

It's still drawing power, though. So if he really wants it to be fully off and using no energy (Even my VCS isn't really ever drawing no power when plugged in and turned off, as evidenced by the power supply being warm to the touch when not in use), he'll have to physically do something.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

Long press = off (red light)

Short press = standby (amber light)

Just disable Wii-Connect and then every time you power down the Wii it will be off (red light). WiiConnect24 is permanently offline so there is absolutely no reason to keep Wiis in standby mode anymore.

Wifi connect can cause premature failure of the electronics because the Wii consumes power in standby mode. Granted it is less power than when it is running, but since the fan does not operate while in standby mode, the console can actually get very hot. This is bad for the longevity of the components. My Wii spent a few years sitting in standby mode until it started to generate errors and frequently crashed. I unplugged my Wii for over a year until the Wii-U came out, and remarkably I was able to transfer all my games without a hitch. The system transfer hanged at 90%. I took what I had and transfered it to my Wii-U. This gave me access to my old eShop records but not the downloaded software and save files. I placed the memory card back in my Wii and was able to finish the process, 100% transferred, with all my saves intact.

For my Wii-U, I decided not to enable standby mode updates or quick boot. A small caveat is I sometimes have to install a mandatory update at boot. I'm okay with that. I just don't want it burning out after a few years like old Wiis often did, especially with hundreds of dollars invested in downloadable software.

Edited by stardust4ever
  • Like 1

Thanks guys! I'm kinda worried about leaving the power supply in for extended periods, as I do for my retro systems. It's on a power bar type setup, so I can't really individually disconnect it unless I go via one of the above methods. In the end, I guess it's just the power supply that is getting the wear, correct? There's no current actually going through the system itself?

Thanks again, dudes.

• Like 1

Thanks guys! I'm kinda worried about leaving the power supply in for extended periods, as I do for my retro systems. It's on a power bar type setup, so I can't really individually disconnect it unless I go via one of the above methods. In the end, I guess it's just the power supply that is getting the wear, correct? There's no current actually going through the system itself?

Thanks again, dudes.

There is some. Thats why the led stays lit up red.

• Like 1

Thanks again, dudes.

Dude.. When it's red.. it's off. Quit worrying about it. :P

• Like 2

In my experience the "smart" surge protectors never actually seem to shut down the slave outlets when the master turns off. I've started to use these tiny plugs that have an off/on switch and attached the surge protector to that. Still have to flip a switch but at least I know EVERYTHING is truly powered down.

I've also tried these extensions that have a big button you can literally step on to turn off whatever's plugged into it. Good times!

Edited by theloon

In my experience the "smart" surge protectors never actually seem to shut down the slave outlets when the master turns off. I've started to use these tiny plugs that have an off/on switch and attached the surge protector to that. Still have to flip a switch but at least I know EVERYTHING is truly powered down.

I've also tried these extensions that have a big button you can literally step on to turn off whatever's plugged into it. Good times!

...so like an in-between plug?

Got any links of any items?

• 2 weeks later...