IGNORED

SIO2PC w/ FT232RL WARNING

kogden

People with serial sio2pc's can use them with either RS232 ports, or with USB2Serial adapaters.

The problem with USB2Serial adapters is you can't use them on computer without USB ports!

Come on, USB 1.1 was standardized in 1998 ... this shouldn't be a serious problem for most people.

People with serial sio2pc's can use them with either RS232 ports, or with USB2Serial adapaters.

The problem with USB2Serial adapters is you can't use them on computer without USB ports!

True... unless you add a USB card which gives you connectivity to more recent devices.... but wait... if your PC predates the invention of the PCI slot then you may be out of luck, don't you think it's time to upgrade your PC unless it has a collectible value as it is....LOL

One other thing, a lot of those old serial ports will not allow you to set arbitrary baud rates that the USB based solutions have no problem with, which means you wont be able to run AspeQt or any other APE at the maximum possible speed.

Edited by atari8warez

PL-2303's still work well.

Yes, as long as you have a NON-China made chip.

I bought a USB to Serial cable 2 years ago that's used to program some Ham Radios and last week I went to update my 2 meter radio, but the cable wasn't recognized. I went to Prolifics' site and downloaded and installed their latest driver for XP, but it wouldn't work. They had a notice on their site that stated the new drivers won't work with the Chinese knock-offs. Had to look through my CD's for the mini-CD that came with the cabel, installed that driver and was able to use that cable again...

At least prolific didn't make the knock-offs unusable :)

For WIN 8.1 x64, I found only 2 installed updates related to windows system update (not security updates) on my computer:

1. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2995388 Installed (21OCT2014)

October 2014 update rollup for Windows RT 8.1, Windows 8.1, and Windows Server 2012 R2. But no mentioning to FTDI drivers..

Please check this one.
2. There is another update but has no update number and has no information whatsoever (22OCT2014) for:
Synaptics - Other hardware - Synaptics PS/2 Port TouchPad
I am sure that MS had stopped updating WIN-XP. All updates are related to products other than Windows systems ( i.e. MS office 2007 and later versions), MS visual studio, etc.
Note:I have just checked all FTDI related files in my computer, and I did not find any was added/modified after 16SEP2014.

Thanks for the attempt. The link is no longer good. No problem. I just need to find one of these "fake" devices and let Automatic updates run, but NOT install. That way, I should be able to find out which one it is.

Also, Microsoft is still producing updates for XP. They stopped updating "normal" XP in April, but continue to update their 2009 version of it until 2019. That version is SP3 designed for embedded applications, point of sale terminals, etc. It it still XP SP3, and all security patches, IE updates, etc. work.

Just add this Registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\POSReady, and on the right side, add "Installed" (without the quotes) as a DWORD with a value of 1.

I wrote a program which automates this and fixes Microsoft Security Essentials to make it turn green again and stop nagging the user, but the above key will cause updates to function again.

Try it, and post your results here :)

• Like 3

Thanks for the attempt.

Try it, and post your results here :)

Thank you Kyle22

I didn't know about the WIN-XP, POSReady update. It works :thumbsup:

zxsaxc.jpg

With regards to the update I had mentioned, it is not fake. I just did not copy it correctly. It is a Rollup package (KB2995388).

Find details here

Best regards

madi

Edited by Madi