IGNORED

Just given a FB2

Greetings,

Was just given a FB2 by a friend. There is no power supply or joysticks, but I've got an FB3 so am I correct in thinking that the joysticks and power supply from it will work on the 2? My next question is how easy is it to mod it for a cartidge slot? I have ABSOLUTELY no experience using a soddering iron. Would I be better off finding someone here who might mod it for me?

My ultimate goal is to get a cartridge port put in and then buy a Harmony cartridge so I can download the 2600 ROMs from Atari Age and use the Harmony cartridge to play the old games on something resembling the old hardware. I'm not overly fond of emulating the 2600 on the computer.

TIA,

Magnus

Cordless joysticks from the FB3 won't work because the FB2 doesn't support cordless. Corded joysticks from the FB3 will work just fine.

The cart slot mod is straightforward, but the detail required is very "fine." It isn't a very good first project for you and you'll likely mess up bad enough to lift pads and break your FB2 a few times before you get it to work. However, the fact that it was free might ease that pain a bit. My advice would be to try simply tinning (coating ends with solder) wires and practice soldering small gauge wire together. Old telephone wire is good to use as practice. Most of the work with the FB2 is soldering pre-tinned wires to a circuit board. It just happens to be delicate work. If you can practice soldering wires on a board that will prep you for the cart mod.

I'll have to dig out a FB2 to check the power supply requirements then you can compare it to the FB3.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry that I haven't responded sooner. Thanks for your reply, but I think I'd rather have someone who knows what they are doing mod this for me. My luck I'd screw up the motherboard trying to solder it and then I'd hate myself for ruining my chance to be able to play all the old games on a console again.