IGNORED

Stuart's TI-99/4A - Internet Web Browser

Omega-TI

A TIPI-compatible version of my Internet Browser is now available - go here [http://www.stuartconner.me.uk/ti/ti.htm#internet_web_browser] and scroll down to the "TIPI Version" heading for specific instructions.

It is considerably faster to download pages than the serial port version, and also supports the TIPI mouse.

Edited by Stuart
  • Like 11

A TIPI-compatible version of my Internet Browser is now available - go here []http://www.stuartconner.me.uk/ti/ti.htm#internet_web_browser] and scroll down to the "TIPI Version" heading for specific instructions.

It is considerably faster to download pages than the serial port version, and also supports the TIPI mouse.

Hi you did a Great work. I tested your Browser today with my Tipi system and it is Amazing to show internet pages and use programs over the Internet with our TI from 1981

• Like 5

This is AWESOME Stuart, I tried it out last night and am really impressed! I'm seriously considering making a TI-only section on my http://wagnerstechtalk.com/retro-computing site just for your browser. Of course, it may take me a little while to develop but should be fun to give it a go.

Edited by jonecool
  • Like 5

Just curious if there is a way to test the TI-rendering of a web page in Stuart's Bowser using Classic99? I tried to run it last night in Clasic99 but it stated TIPI not found and stopped, not sure if there is another way of running it or emulating the TIPI. I'm looking at this for a way to test the rendering between the web page+browser without having to walk between the PC & the TI (not enough desk space in one location for both).

Edited by jonecool
  • Like 2

Just curious if there is a way to test the TI-rendering of a web page in Stuart's Bowser using Classic99? I tried to run it last night in Clasic99 but it stated TIPI not found and stopped, not sure if there is another way of running it or emulating the TIPI. I'm looking at this for a way to test the rendering between the web page+browser without having to walk between the PC & the TI (not enough desk space in one location for both).

If you're happy editing the web page on the TI, what I think might work is to put the content of your page in the FAVS file in the TIPI BROWSER directory. You should be able to edit this file using the E/A Editor. Then load the browser then load the FAVS file by pressing "I" - the FAVS file is just a 'local' web page. Then back to the E/A Editor and make some more edits, and so on. When your page is complete, go back to your PC and you should be able to download the FAVS file in the TIPI web interface and get the text back out of it.

Haven't tried this, but I think it might work ...

• Like 2

Thank you Stuart, I'll give this a try! I did wind up clearing some temporary desk space to give this a try :) Not much content yet, but adding to it: http://wagnerstechtalk.com/ti99/z.htm

If you're happy editing the web page on the TI, what I think might work is to put the content of your page in the FAVS file in the TIPI BROWSER directory. You should be able to edit this file using the E/A Editor. Then load the browser then load the FAVS file by pressing "I" - the FAVS file is just a 'local' web page. Then back to the E/A Editor and make some more edits, and so on. When your page is complete, go back to your PC and you should be able to download the FAVS file in the TIPI web interface and get the text back out of it.

Haven't tried this, but I think it might work ...

If you don't want to manually log in to MYTI99.COM manually all the time, edit the URL in your FAVS file to something like this...

/?a=li&u=Username&p=PinNumber

Hopefully this won't be necessary much longer :) It kind of sucks to have to use the querystring to maintain state, not to mention divulging your username/pin in all your screen shots.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

A TIPI-compatible version of my Internet Browser is now available - go here [http://www.stuartconner.me.uk/ti/ti.htm#internet_web_browser] and scroll down to the "TIPI Version" heading for specific instructions.

With Stuarts approval, I am posting a .BIN version of the TIPI-compatible Internet Browser V9.2 for use with FG99.

STBROWSERV92.zip

• Like 7

This worked great for me on the FinalGROM 99, thank you for doing this twoodland! Much easier than having to launch Editor Assembler :)

I agree! I can't wait for 9.3 to be finalized and converted to a cartridge .BIN as well. Once that it done, with the cookies, you'll not have to log in manually all the time or see your personal data at the top of the screen in the URL field (which will make it easier to do presentation or online videos. Then we can all do the "Happy Dance"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kA42VrqGKd4

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

v9.3 of my browser is now released. It is only available for the TIPI.

The program is on a TiDisk format image which can be downloaded here. Extract the TiDisk file from the zip file, then upload it to the root directory of the TIPI using the TIPI web interface. The TIPI will automatically extract the files into a directory named "BROWSER". To run the program, boot with the Editor/Assembler cartridge, select E/A option 3 and type the filename TIPI.BROWSER.INTERNET (or DSK.BROWSER.INTERNET). The program will automatically start after loading.

The program is also available as a FinalGROM99 image here. The program needs some of the files on the TiDisk image above in order to run, so you still need to download that TiDisk format image and upload it to the TIPI.

Full details of the program are available at http://www.stuartconner.me.uk/ti/ti.htm#internet_web_browser, but a quick summary of the major changes for v9.3 is as follows:

-- New <cookie> tag. Stores a cookie value to be associated with the host name from which the page was downloaded. Cookie details are stored in a COOKIES file on the TIPI disk, and so are persistent across browser sessions. The cookie value is included in the HTTP request header for all future page requests to the same host. Corey will be using this on his www.myti99.com so you don't have to log in on each visit.

-- Clicking on the first 3 character positions of the URL address bar now prompts for entry of a new URL. Clicking on any other character position of the URL address bar now displays the current URL for editing. (Note that clicking anywhere at the **very top** of the screen performs a 'page scroll up' action, as it always has.)

-- The number of hyperlinks on a page is now in effect unlimited, as hyperlink information is now stored in a file on the TIPI disk.

-- The browser will now display pages where the HTTP response code is 200 (OK) or 301 (new permanent URI). In addition, the browser will also display pages where the HTTP response code is 404 (page not found) or 500 (internal server error) as long as the error page includes content within <99ml></99ml> tags. This enables a server administrator to set up browser-compatible error pages for these response codes.

-- New <input-dv></input-dv> field tags. This is the same as an input field defined by a pair of <input></input> tags but the <input-dv> tag includes an extra parameter that specifies the number of characters between the tags to use as a default field value. This field value is returned unless the user types a different value into the field. This type of field is useful when redisplaying a form that the user has already filled in but which contains some sort of error or invalid value.

-- New <pwd></pwd> field tags. This is the same as an input field defined by a pair of <input></input> tags but all characters typed into the field are displayed as asterisks. The actual entered field value is returned as a parameter in the URL specified by the <submit> tag.

-- New <favs></favs> link tags. These form a link that displays the user's favourites file.

-- Tweaked TIPI mouse support so that any mouse data being buffered by the Raspberry Pi is cleared after rendering a page or after editing a text field.

Many thanks to Corey for extensive testing and suggestions, and to Tim for converting to the FG99 image.

• Like 7

WOW, Thank you for the new version.

Is it correct that the program only works from the "TIPI.BROWSER" folder and not from a individual path?

I tried to load it from my "TIPI.TOOL.BROWSER" path but the program stops with the message no Font file in "TIPI.BROWSER".

I'm using your program as a EA5 file and it works fine from the "TIPI.BROWSER" folder.

INT1_EA5.zip

I converted it with the RAG LINKER

• Like 2

WOW, Thank you for the new version.

Is it correct that the program only works from the "TIPI.BROWSER" folder and not from a individual path?

I tried to load it from my "TIPI.TOOL.BROWSER" path but the program stops with the message no Font file in "TIPI.BROWSER".

I'm using your program as a EA5 file and it works fine from the "TIPI.BROWSER" folder.

attachicon.gifINT1_EA5.zip

I converted it with the RAG LINKER

Only works from a TIPI.BROWSER folder I'm afraid. It's quite disk intensive now ...

I kind of like that it only works from one path, that way if any third-party things ever come out for it, there will be some conformity already in play among users to make it easier on developers. For instance if I decided to share my 4A/DOS batch files and programs with someone, no additional editing would be required for them to use them.

On another topic, is a simplified TI-only "HTTPS-like" protocol possible for the TIPI version of the browser? I know no one is going to hack a TI, but even a scrambled connection would discourage snoopers. Why? Just because!