IGNORED

Secretum Labyrinth Kings Gold

peteym5

Hi Pete,

You can take my word for this: No I'm not into bashing at all, and definitely not here.

I was talking about a BBS, a feature… but never mind.

I stop bugging you from now (or actually since yesterday) … so please continue with whatever you are/were doing.

Greetz

M.

That is good news. Not sure if a BBS feature would be useful for Secretum Labyrinth unless I want to force people to subscribe to a service to play. Many will just want to pay once for the game and play it all they want.

The other problem of making an Adventure type game larger with more rooms. At a certain point, you are just having someone going between more rooms trying to find treasures. Like making a hack Pitfall II and making it larger. All Pitfall Harry be doing is exploring a larger Jungle + Cavern. When you go larger, you also need to add new challenges and more interesting stuff to happen. Maybe some additional animals or do something different to past a certain point.

With a 1024K AtariMax or XEGS cartridge, an Adventure type game can have over 10,000 different screens, 100s of types or creatures, treasures, what ever. At what point it would be too much?

Edited by peteofborg

Looking at more recent games they have a main plotline/story - but along the way there are hundreds of side quests which can be undertaken for additional items to help in a game. Some are worth it and some not - but those who want to just win wont have to go through 10,000 rooms - those that like to explore the limits will most likely hit 50%+ of those areas.

I thought about multiple or side quest thing with Secretum Labyrinth. As you probably already see, it has different quests you can play. I had given thought about adding some logic inside the room drawing routine and data so the map is slightly different depending on what quest you select. Similar to the 2600 Adventure to where Quest/Selection 1 you played a short quest, 2 & 3, you played a longer Quest that had a White Castle, more mazes, etc. All the items are scattered throughout the dungeon and you need them to get past certain points, so finding items is always part of the main quest.

The Atari 8-bit computer has a keyboard and I am taking advantage of that for this game. Like pressing 1 to 5 selects your weapon. Could have it ask questions that you must answer correctly for a reward.

Some things I am going to avoid doing is having a different display style for different games in the series. "Secretum Labyrinth:Kings Gold" and "Secretum Labyrinth:The Legend" already have that top down dungeon display. If I decide to make a 3rd one, it will be done with this top down display. I know a lot of people complained about Zelda II going to that side scrolling thing for battles. I see the SNES version went to a top scroller.

Edited by peteofborg

You know, I made a 3D Adventure / Role Playing Game editor and game player software. It was called Imperium Magica that ran on the windows PC. Been updating it for the last 15 years. I pushed it all to the side and took down the download site because of lack of interest. This was not based on a room by room system, but a full 3D environment that placed scene elements, usable items, characters onto a grid. It had a quest system, spells, and dialogs. It had a nice easy spreadsheet style table editor for data editing. Some of the last work I was doing involved making it viable to edit Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Games (MMORPG) information.

I would like to get back to it soon. I know how to set a lot of RPG stuff up and it helped me design the Secretum Labyrinth series. When it comes to map size, world size, or number of rooms, I have to decide at what point something is ridiculous. There is really no limit of how far you can go on the PC. When you create a new map with Imperium Magica, it gives you a choice of sizes, but nothing too large that will take you years to make. I whole builder thing was geared and making it easy on the end user, and have the program help with all the work involved in making these things.

Edited by peteofborg

From my point of view the main problem with the gameplay is like this: I can't see any real progress of the character I play. I was on the 10th level, I had all the weapons, all the keys, I collected 6 coins out of 8 - and I wasn't stronger during battles than I was on the beginning (maybe slightly, but unnoticeably). What are the advantages of having higher level?

I am looking what had been done with other RPGs for progress of character, like new abilities, increase of hit points, etc.

I was talking about a BBS, a feature… but never mind.

I am still wondering if you are suggesting making this game multiplayer via modem/networking. Currently not in the planning.

Looking at more recent games they have a main plotline/story - but along the way there are hundreds of side quests which can be undertaken for additional items to help in a game. Some are worth it and some not - but those who want to just win wont have to go through 10,000 rooms - those that like to explore the limits will most likely hit 50%+ of those areas.

I know many have played Adventure and Role Playing Games throughout the years. These things can be single player and a single main quest to multiplayer with lots of quests. I said the inspiration for this game is the first NES Legend of Zelda. However I am attempting to keep it original. I know someone else is porting Adventure II to the 8-bit, however he is doing something different. If I was going to port something like the 2600 Adventure, I would be trying to stay in line with the 2600 game, a little more retro. At the same time really up the challenge and add more Quest/Game options to play from the original Adventures to something playing on a mega size world with more colored dragons, items, and other things.

I have seen both turned based and action based Adventure games throughout the years. Text Adventure games are also interesting. Either are intriguing in their own way. Some let you explore and switch to a different battle screen when you encounter a monster. How many people played Dungeons and Dragons, or something similar? I am someone who likes to have games with the action games and when I play some of those that switch to a battle screen, it starts getting a little frustrating if it happens too often.

All I can still say about the updates is that it is something I want to surprise people with and we all have to wait and see.

Edited by peteym5

• 1 month later...

We are in the process of making a cartridge version of this game. As I probably stated before, the cartridge game will have more stuff in it in comparison to 'Kings Gold.

I am posting a notice that I am looking for another composer. Royalties will be discussed in private. I am also going through the RMT samples seeing if there are small pieces that are fitting into this style Adventure game that is a medieval bash the monster setting. KJMANN is dropping out with doing the music for this game series and I am not at liberty to discuss the reasons.

Is it music that already exists (so you need an arrangement for atari 8bit) or is it music that needs to be created from scratch?

Is RMT the only allowed music software?

You might want to ask Miker here on the forum. He is a true music wizard here in the a8 scene.

I am a musician myself, and I used to do some nice musics in Chaos Music Composer. I'm afraid that program is no longer a #1 choice for music on a8 (although I really appreciate the features, and the player is rather light). Next to that, I'm low on spare time. I'm seriously offering my help, but if I was you, I'd contact miker first. He is fabulous!

RMT is what I know about, has instructions in English, and seems to be a large list of samples by people on here. Have to see if this other program can do sound effects, CPU cycles usage and memory requirements. I did not want to use RMT for Delta Space Arena because it gobbled up too much CPU cycles and RAM. Secretum Labyrinth is based around using RMT and I had already ported a few RMT songs with added sound effects.

• 2 weeks later...

I manage to port some MOD songs into RMT, edit the instruments, add the sound effects, and it seems to work.

I could approach some other musicians on here for other future games. Some of them are same musicians KJMANN was getting into a heated argument with, and that may be a problem giving my past association from prior game projects.

Edited by peteym5

Some of them are same musicians KJMANN was getting into a heated argument with, and that may be a problem giving my past association from prior game projects.

Well... Like I wrote you in PM already. I think it's good to move on and everybody here loves atari 8bit. There are many very gifted musicians here on the forum, who might want to contribute to this rather cool game.

I'm a professional musician too, and I offer my help, but I am not half as gifted as most amazing guys here. There is also this fellow called '505' he did some pretty awesome things too on a8music. Check him out! http://www.fiveofive-music.com/files.php?genformat=SAP&page=1

Here is an example of something I ported from a mod file. As always with any video game song, you have to leave a channel open for sound effects. I also create a blank line at line 0 and have line 1 goto line 0 and start at line 2. That is so I can have an option to play without music and have all 4 channels for sound effects. I have several other songs I ported that are considered Adventure or Medieval setting. I did not want to use a techno or rock style piece for this game setting.

Last year, I was proposing to do several 16K cartridge games and these songs would be stored compressed and expanded into RAM. Someone suggested a game like Zoo Keeper. KJMANN12 had a pretty good ear at replicating music from these games. The best I can do is find a mod or midi and copy the notes for new songs.

I am skeptical about doing something similar to PAC-MAN (like Mouse Trap or Lady Bug) because someone made these for other game platforms because they could not get the rights for Pac-Man, and Pac-Man had been done on the Atari several times. So this Zookeeper is more unique for a possible future project.

GREENSLEEVES.zip

The .xex demo had been removed last year because I decided to hold up the release of the game. I wanted to make some changes to the game and surprise everyone. A new demo may be released sometime after the cartridge had been tested, debugged, and up for sale.

Secretum Labyrinth music had been chosen. There are three games I am considering porting to the Atari. Those include "Mouse Trap", "Lady Bug", and "Zoo Keeper". I know these have a music sound track, but will only do them if the music and sound effects can be replicated. I would need to find the original sheet music, midi file, or note sequence to even start to do these things. I will be contacting some of you through PM.

• 5 weeks later...

I managed to port some music for Secretum Labyrinth from MOD to RMT. I may need some help with setting up the instruments and making them sound better. I already sent private messages to Emkay, Poison, and Pro Wizard with one of the songs and see if they have any suggestions. I cannot promise their music will be in the first Secretum Labyrinth:The Legend cartridge, but an epic size larger sequel cartridge game is being considered, and I know we will like to see epic sounding music to go along with it. The decision for a sequel has been finalized yet, it depends on the sales and interested in the first cartridge game.

• 7 months later...

http://members.tcq.net/video61/secretum.html

At this time, I would like to announce that "Secretum Labyrinth:The Legend" on cartridge has been steadily selling at $39.95 with free shipping in the United States. This is A New Role Playing Arcade Action Adventure Game for Atari XL/XE Computers with 64K RAM. The game had been in development since early 2012 and gone through debugging by independent beta testers.

• A Role Playing Arcade Action Adventure Game in the style of Gauntlet or Legend of Zelda
  • Game Cartridge requires an Atari XL/XE Computer with 64K of RAM and 1 Joystick
  • Continues - If you die during the game, it gives you a continue option to start where you left off
  • Enemies - Ghosts, goblins, and monsters to fight!
  • Action - Very good, very fast sword action!
  • A nice Puzzle to solve!
  • This game was extensively beta tested to assure quality
  • A very good looking game
  • Nice, smooth sprite animations
  • Catchy music
  • See video for more

I am posting an update for "Secretum Labyrinth:Kings Gold", the demo for the game series and engine. I am posting this updated version with several bug fixes because there are still several earlier copies of the beta floating around on sites like AtariOnline.PL. These fixes were done with cartridge several months ago. There is some alternate features that were recently developed that may be in future adventure games.

Now that people can try "Secretum Labyrinth:Kings Gold" demonstration, please be considerate and support our efforts to produce more fun and challenging games like this. I am planning more adventure games on cartridge online using this engine. Looking to have large maps, more monsters, different graphics, effects, use some other tricks to get more onscreen colors. This all depends on what type of support I get.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Currently I am undecided about doing a sequel to Secretum Labyrinth or a whole other Adventure game using this engine. I had given some thoughts about what I can do. I had thought of a Witch Craft, Paranormal, and Supernatural themed story and game. A haunted hotel, mansion, and/or dungeon all inside the game. Maybe write the story first and base the game around it. I am hoping for someone who bought the game post something on here to provide an independent opinion.

I was trying to get this game together much sooner and waited for a long time for KJMANN12 to create some original music. Found out later he was trying his best to kill and sabotage this adventure game project simply because he did not have control over every aspect of the game. When it was approaching completion, he finally came back on the scene and said if I wanted to use his music, I had to make changes he wanted. I had already been waiting for him to come up with a list of suggestions and waited a few months longer, but I heard nothing. It was Video61 who also really liked the game because it was something no one really done in depth on the 8-bit. When I finally told him I was going to release the game on my own, he demanded his music be stripped from the game. I know KJMANN12 made some enemies on here and is probably still getting in the way of sales for these cartridges. My business relationship with KJMANN12 had been dissolved for more than a year now. He is also having some health issues, so it is very unlikely he will be returning here.

Right now I am focusing on completing some smaller games before going back to anything that takes years to complete.

• 2 months later...

I am compiling a list of all the suggestions about this engine in the past. I will be advancing the engine and may add more into this side quest thing. Like you have to kill a certain monster to get an item you need to get past a point further in the game.

You keep repeating that you broke with KJMANN, but did you also break with his paranoid philosophy about piracy?

I will not get caught up into arguing about this anymore.

I am Google searching RPGs, AD&D, Mythical Monsters, and games like Zelda to help evolve this game engine for the Atari. I pointed out there were a few games like "Golden Axe Warrior" on the Sega Master System that was close to Zelda. It was pointed out Nintendo does not own the patent to Adventure/RPGs. Just I will not be duplicating place and character names, or the base story line from any of the Zelda Games. We can do things like pushing blocks or using a weapon at a wall to open a passage. I might have bosses that you must defeat to the next treasure. Any future Secretum Labyrinth game will be made its own.

"Secretum Labyrinth Kings Gold" is meant to be a demo for both the Secretum Labyrinth game series as well this "Atari 8-bit Adventure/RPG Engine." If I want to showcase some new features, you may see an update to the demo. I was hoping others take an interest in working with me to help them put together some separate adventure games, but not many came forward yet.

Edited by peteym5

I will not get caught up into arguing about this anymore.

Fine by me, but then I suggest you stop repeating that you broke with KJMANN; I simply do not see what the benefit of that break for us readers of your posts is, or what that break has to do with your current activities in general.

I will not argue about it myself anymore. I have decided that I will never buy any of your games as long as you stick with carts. So that is a tie... I guess.

Good luck though with your projects!

• Like 1

I believe I released "Secretum Labyrinth Kings Gold" as freeware under good faith. It is a separate game in my planned adventure game series. It was intended to avoid any rhetoric I dealt with the past concerning piracy or not allowing pay per (digital) downloads. So it is an attempt to do shareware/demoware. This has been done on the Windows PC/Apple Mac/Linux platforms since the dawn of the Internet. It did help me correct many issues before the cartridge went up for sale. Our own in-house beta testers also caught many things directly with the cartridge game. There is only one post here that updated about the history of what I later discovered about someone attempting to stop this game series going forward. I know some people had issues with him and might had been a reason why people did not want to purchase my games.

It does seem people continue to demand a home brew game like Zelda made for other platforms like the Atari 8-bit. I also thought about that and was the inspirations for creating an Adventure RPG engine. The first two games avoided getting too close to Zelda so there will not be only concerns about copyright violation. The next extension of the engine might have a few more similar things, but changed to fit my style of storytelling. It will also be more idiot proof, like putting the exits in fixed locations in each room. A series of bits will indicate if an exit is there or not. Being manually drawn at different locations between each room created alignment issues causing you to enter the next room inside part of a wall. That is one example of what needed to be corrected with these games.

Edited by peteym5