IGNORED

Secretum Labyrinth Kings Gold

peteym5

A lot of people, myself included, are tired of upgrading movie hardware every few years for overpriced media that we can just stream online. That's one of the reasons blueray hasn't taken over the market the way VHS or DVDs did. It's just not worth paying double the money for a disc that doesn't give you double the entertainment save in rare cases where the movie actually does benefit (say Avatar or Star Wars).

A friend of mine collects laser discs, and even has one of those rare panasonic laseractive units with tg16 and genesis modules. They are pretty fun to watch, and they were miles ahead of VHS. They were luxury items though, most people didn't care. Sort of the movie equivalent of a Neo Geo AES. He also has one of those even weirder units that (and I am forgetting the name of the technology) used some kind of weird high def cartridge that held a 'high definition' record-like thing.

I had kind of a fun retro experience on my honeymoon a few weeks ago. We stayed at this cabin complex on the coast. All the units had VCRs and the main office had a huge VHS library. We watched a bunch of movies in that format, first time in probably 15 years.

Was pretty funny. Took us awhile to get used to 'rewind' again :grin:

• Like 4

I noticed Blu Ray has not gained a large foothold for Computer Media also. There is even BDXL disk media that gets you over 100GB per disk. These days, we have other options like USB & SD flash drives, external hard drives. Internal Hard Drives over 2TB have really come down in price. Problem I started seeing with DVD-Rs and DVD-RWs burning, they only good for backing up stuff that rarely changes, like your downloaded music, games, tv shows, and movies. But if you want to back up documents and source code that changes daily, it is better to use something re-writable. I played around with CD-RWs and DVD-RWs, and after a few writes, the drive cannot read them anymore.

• Like 1

I was a person that recorded good movies in SP mode on VHS. Used EP for TV shows that had lots of episodes, or else you'll end up with a living room full of video tapes. Nowadays, we can fit several whole TV series on a single hard drive. VHS and Betamax used a half inch analog format. I am not sure if anyone used a digital format with video tapes. I know TV networks uses 3/4 to 2 inch wide tapes for a very high quality recording, to get beyond that, you might as well try to get the original movie on film. I admit DVD looks sharper than even a VHS at SP mode. Blu Ray may look better when you play back on larger displays, and still seems to have trouble gaining a majority market share. Looks like by the time everyone has a Blu-Ray player, someone will have something better. Maybe be a flash drive that plugs into your TV, or will be all streaming video services. I know many out there download video illegally through a bit-torrent website, and with that, a larger file may be chosen for better quality.

Before Blue-Ray, if you wanted HD movies on your early HDTV, you got yourself one of these:

And yes, it is digital format, on tape. VHS tape.

Here is a later model Laserdisc player from the late 90's:

Another video format I own, just because the format intrigues me, is CED:

Some of us don't care about how much video you can fit onto something, some of us LIKE to have rooms full of different format media.

As to the professional video recording, they've had S-video taping, since the late 70's or early 80's, or S-VHS which is which is higher resolution than standard VHS, and since it is recorded though S-video instead of composite, of course it looks far better than SP mode of standard VHS with composite. And, as you stated, other larger formats of tape media with also have much higher resolution due to area and higher density. But Laserdisc is far better than any consumer tape format from the 70's-90's, until D-VHS came out.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 3

I see "Galaxy Quest" is mention in the video. We need Tim Allen to add more power to get HDTV and end up with the video head cylinder shoot out through the top of the machine.

You know, DVDs only support MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 at around 5000 bits per second. If they supported MPEG-4 (DIVX and XVID) you can compress a Blu-Ray Quality movie onto a 4.3GB DVD disk. My DVD player supports DIVX and XVID files.

Edited by peteym5
  • Like 3

I see "Galaxy Quest" is mention in the video. We need Tim Allen to add more power to get HDTV and end up with the video head cylinder shoot out through the top of the machine.

You know, DVDs only support MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 at around 5000 bits per second. If they supported MPEG-4 (DIVX and XVID) you can compress a Blu-Ray Quality movie onto a 4.3GB DVD disk. My DVD player supports DIVX and XVID files.

Yeah - this whole MPEG-2 vs MPEG-4 is why I wish HD-DVD would have beaten BluRay back when then was the current war. Oh well - as usual a technologically inferior technology wins .

• Like 2

I am not sure if MPEG-4 was used with HD-DVD or was included with the players firmware. MPEG-4 was around since the early 2000s, and is a codec that could had been added to DVD players. Like I said, there are players out there that can play back AVI, MOV, and MP4 files store on laser media. You can have your PC play back movies for you and output to a HDTV. This whole subject about laserdisc started because I mentioned modern software being backed up or distributed by laser disk, or laser media disks that are burned by and read by a laser beam, CD, DVD, HD-DVD, Blu-Ray, and BDXL.

I am glad to have open discussion about the Secretum Labyrinth adventure games here. I provided "Kings Gold" as a free game so I can get some feed back, get ideals on making things better, and get help with debugging before the larger adventure games go to cartridge.

Now with the next big Secretum Labyrinth Adventure/RPG game for the 8-bit, I am thinking about something with 500+ rooms, and many of new types of things you need to do to get beyond a certain point in the game. Enemies that not only attack you, but can steal money, and items from you. How many would like to see that?

I do not want to make Secretum Labyrinth into a turn based Role Playing Game like Advance Dungeons and Dragons, or do the six character attribute thing with Charisma, Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Intelligence, and Stamina. I made more of an action-adventure game. However I am going add one or two attributes. You will press "C" on the keyboard to bring up a short character status display at the top of the screen.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Here is a work-in-progress video for Secretum Labyrinth Xenogenesis for the 5200. Showing what is going on. https://youtu.be/GUdN98e6o7U. This will be exclusive for the 5200 since I have "Kings Gold" and "The Legend" available here on the 8-bit. It also has several new things going on that I plan on incorporating into the next 8-bit cartridge. I have my own beta testers already looking at the game as the game will be released in the near future. I plan on modifying "Kings Gold" to demonstrate some of these features to show that the games work without any problems. New optimization and compression techniques made the game fit into a 32K 5200 ROM cartridge.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Here is an update to Secretum Labyrinth Kings Gold. Has a few changes to story to make things more interesting and this will be the Modern English version. Title Screen Font, Graphics, and Colors also been updated to make it look better.

Sorry about missing the attachment

Edited by peteym5
  • Like 2

Here is an update to Secretum Labyrinth Kings Gold. Has a few changes to story to make things more interesting and this will be the Modern English version. Title Screen Font, Graphics, and Colors also been updated to make it look better.

Was there supposed to be a link or attachment? I don't see anything.

Before Blue-Ray, if you wanted HD movies on your early HDTV, you got yourself one of these:

And yes, it is digital format, on tape. VHS tape.

Here is a later model Laserdisc player from the late 90's:

Another video format I own, just because the format intrigues me, is CED:

Some of us don't care about how much video you can fit onto something, some of us LIKE to have rooms full of different format media.

As to the professional video recording, they've had S-video taping, since the late 70's or early 80's, or S-VHS which is which is higher resolution than standard VHS, and since it is recorded though S-video instead of composite, of course it looks far better than SP mode of standard VHS with composite. And, as you stated, other larger formats of tape media with also have much higher resolution due to area and higher density. But Laserdisc is far better than any consumer tape format from the 70's-90's, until D-VHS came out.

i was not only a dealer in rca ced selectavision discs, i also did some distribution for them. i still have two browsers left, and over 1000 ced videodiscs. some still new in the wrapper, two 400 machines, a 200 machine, and a few old style machines.

in their hay day the stereo rock ones were superb. and many of the stereo movies with good soundtracks like christine, were awesome. i managed to lay my hands on just about every rock and roll one, one i missed was the kinks one for the road, with the live version of superman. never tracked that one down.

lance

www.atarisales.com

• Like 4

Guess it is a good thing my "Secretum Labyrinth King's Gold" game is considered a beta demo. I had to fix something that is deep inside the dungeon. When I did this new back ground pattern thing that spaces the back ground dots out more, the data had to be changed with each room. One of the rooms somehow ended up with no walls because I had the border set to character 0. Therefore you can go to any of the 4 adjacent rooms at any position, does not matter if there is a wall in the other room or not. I corrected it back to where walls and exits were originally. I am going back to putting a date on the package so people can identify if they find any issues.

Edited by peteym5
  • Like 2

The demo video has the text:

The Wisdom Idols advance your when skill level when there is enough experience.

which doesn't parse as an English sentence.

Also, the next part of the text:

Find The Wind Amulet and bring to a Idol to receive...

is also grammatically incorrect. It should read, "an Idol".

Edited by FifthPlayer

Here is an experimental beta demo of the game with Medieval English. Most of it was opening texts, scrolls in game, some short messages that pop up at the top of the screen. The advertisement scrolls, instructional text, and nag screen remain in Modern English. I am only considering using this with the next Secretum Labyrinth game, but do know there will be issues with some people not being able to understand the texts, so may be Semi-Medieval or English that was used around 15th to 17th centuries. Use "Shall or Shalt" instead of "Will". Use "Came Upon" instead of "Found", etc.

Edited by peteym5
  • Like 1

Update. There was a passage way between 2 rooms not aligned correctly, resulting you to appear and getting stuck inside a wall. Also corrected where some monsters were starting stuck inside a wall. I will update the standard modern English version tomorrow. If anybody would like the texts in other languages, I would need help translating because I speak only English here. I know there are Atari user groups in Germany and Poland. This will only be for Secretum Labyrinth Kings Gold game that is a free download. The sequel games on cartridges will only be available in English for now.

I have started up some research and work for the next big Role Playing Adventure Game for the Atari. No title has been decided yet or if it will be in with the Secretum Labyrinth game series. I am not going to try to make a "Legend of Zelda" clone either. Looking to have many more things going on inside the next Adventure game.

Edited by peteym5
  • Like 2

Here is an update to the modern English version of 'King's Gold. Has the minor re-positioning of where monsters start in a few rooms and where a passage was not aligned between two rooms. A few years ago when making "The Legend" I remember spending weeks going through that large dungeon looking for anything not correctly lining up between two rooms. I am working on a different system for my next Adventure game where the walls and passages will be replicated between two rooms, making setting up a dungeon more idiot proof. Maybe set up something for positioning of the monsters.

With "Secretum Labyrinth:The Legend" on cartridge, I went through all the texts, everything is spelled correctly and anybody reading it can make sense of what it says. Even though some hints are cryptic. No one who bought the cartridge has complained about anything so far. I am leaving the cartridge game as is. There are no real glitches where game is not crashing and remains playable for hours. Unless there is something going on with a custom upgrade. We would just be more aware of what people like to see for future games.

• Like 2

i was not only a dealer in rca ced selectavision discs, i also did some distribution for them. i still have two browsers left, and over 1000 ced videodiscs. some still new in the wrapper, two 400 machines, a 200 machine, and a few old style machines.

in their hay day the stereo rock ones were superb. and many of the stereo movies with good soundtracks like christine, were awesome. i managed to lay my hands on just about every rock and roll one, one i missed was the kinks one for the road, with the live version of superman. never tracked that one down.

lance

www.atarisales.com

I still have a DVD player that can play DIVX, AVI, MP4, and a few other movie file formats. Most Video CDs use MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 which is compatible with DVD players. MP4, DivX, Xvid, x264 look better with video files compressed down to a size that fit on a CD. Now storing files with CD burners had became very less common now, there is less need to compress or download video files that are about 700mb long. The Majority is using DVD, Blu-Ray burners, or storing files on USB Flash, SD Flash, or External Hard drives now.

Edited by peteym5

• 2 weeks later...

How hard would it be to do a Commodore 64 Executable Port of Secrretum Labyrinth? Things I probably need is Commodore 64 Equates for Mads Assembler, did anybody ever make one? Where to put the run address in the file and load into RAM. Setting Load addresses? Is there any copy protection on Commodore 64 disks? Is there something like RMT for the Commodore 64? A lot of questions need to be answered before I make an attempt. Looks like the font character graphics almost directly can be used. The program control code will almost be the same. Its stuff like setting sprite positions will need all routines. I learned from porting to the 7800 that much of the 8-bit code for a game can be recycled for games running on other 6502 based systems. Its writing to sprite and sound registers need to be converted.

I know the Commodore 64 Cartridges are much harder to find someone to make and none support bank switching as far as I know. So I am going to start looking at executable versions first. I know Commodore does not have autoboot disks also.

Edited by peteym5

• 2 weeks later...

I like keep things positive here on the Secretum Labyrinth threads, and I am not going to mention anything about digital downloads, piracy, hacking, or not sharing. I appreciated that no one else has bought it up here.

Some of the reasons why "Secretum Labyrinth Kings Gold" is a free game. I am doing this to show my appreciation for all the help you guys gave me to help develop my games. This game is provided free to the community. Some people have provided me some feedback through private messenger and email so I know what needs to be updated.

The "Secretum Labyrinth The Legend" cartridge is going to remain on sale as is since minor grammar problems do not effect the game play and experience. I am developing the "Secretum Labyrinth Dark Castles" right now and do hope even my strongest critics review the work in progress videos, provide feedback, and not wait until the game has gone on sale to ask me to update the game.

In this update:

• The option to turn background off, totally makes the background black once again. After doing the update that draws the pattern with the pixels further spaced apart, the routine did not check if the player wanted the backgrounds off. Once the backgrounds are black, the only way to bring them back is to reboot dos and load the game again.
  • Pressing Start no longer sends you back to the Title Splash Screen, pressing Select or Option does this.
  • That glitch when you die and go to that screen stating Start to Continue, Select to End. The Purple Background should remain there now.
  • You will not have any weapons until you find them now.

Edited by peteym5

I like keep things positive here on the Secretum Labyrinth threads, and I am not going to mention anything about digital downloads, piracy, hacking, or not sharing. I appreciated that no one else has bought it up here.

Oh I did yesterday, but once again my post was deleted without any message from the webmasters here.

Apparently they condone selling copyrighted material as long as a company like Video61 does it, but mentioning that I would like to provide the same service is apparently banned....

Yep: Thanks for not mentioning any of that.

"It's not that funny is it" (Fleetwood Mac),

so please "Let it be". (The Beatles)

Oh I did yesterday, but once again my post was deleted without any message from the webmasters here.

Apparently they condone selling copyrighted material as long as a company like Video61 does it, but mentioning that I would like to provide the same service is apparently banned....

You more or less said you would like to copy peteym's cart games onto diskette and sell them in Europe, since Video 61 does the same (selling un-licensed games on cart). Evil as I am, I did report this to the moderators who removed this reply.

Once more: Peteym is NOT Video 61 ! If Video 61 is selling un-licensed programs commercially, why do you want to make peteym responsible for that or punish him with such actions and replies? Why don't you have the courage to talk to Lance Ringquist directly and try to find a solution with him ?!?

Edited by CharlieChaplin