IGNORED

Secretum Labyrinth Kings Gold

peteym5

Oh I did yesterday, but once again my post was deleted without any message from the webmasters here.

The admins can do what they choose on their forum without owing you any kind of explanation, but since you insist, here's the explanation: your posts are inflammatory and inappropriate for this thread, so you have now been blocked from it. Does that answer your question?

Now let's get back to constructively discussing peteym5's work on his new game.

Apparently they condone selling copyrighted material as long as a company like Video61 does it, but mentioning that I would like to provide the same service is apparently banned....

We do not condone the sale or distribution of copyrighted material as long as it is done by the copyright owner or publisher. Majority of Video61 stock includes left over games that were produced from 1980 until now. He has my full permission to publish my games. You will need to look at his sight to see what he still has in stock.

The admins can do what they choose on their forum without owing you any kind of explanation, but since you insist, here's the explanation: your posts are inflammatory and inappropriate for this thread, so you have now been blocked from it. Does that answer your question?

Now let's get back to constructively discussing peteym5's work on his new game.

Thankyou very much.

Sorry about the missing file attachment. Something is going on between this forum and Google Chrome, where I have to manually Choose then Attach. I had to stop using Firefox because it started really being attacked by hackers and allowing viruses to get through and whatever else they can to make your web browsing experience miserable. It got worse than Internet Explorer before it became Edge.

In this update:

• The option to turn background off, totally makes the background black once again. After doing the update that draws the pattern with the pixels further spaced apart, the routine did not check if the player wanted the backgrounds off. Once the backgrounds are black, the only way to bring them back is to reboot dos and load the game again.
  • Pressing Start no longer sends you back to the Title Splash Screen, pressing Select or Option does this.
  • That glitch when you die and go to that screen stating Start to Continue, Select to End. The Purple Background should remain there now.
  • You will not have any weapons until you find them now.

The "Secretum Labyrinth The Legend" cartridge is going to remain on sale as is since minor grammar problems do not effect the game play and experience. My explanation is that the text in the scrolls were written by some long dead past character that may not be fluent in English grammar, or may had been how people wrote back in that time period. I think I may had left them out because I was not sure how assembler might had been confusing the " and ' with string data, but later found out Apostrophes are allowed as long as they are in quotes.

I am developing the "Secretum Labyrinth Dark Castles" right now and do hope even my strongest critics review the work in progress videos, provide feedback, and not wait until the game has gone on sale to ask me to update the game. I am working on ideals involving ways to get past creatures in a room, weakens, distracts, frightens, etc. Maybe have sort of logic puzzle where you need to push stuff around to get through a room.

Edited by peteym5
  • Like 2

Anybody hear or play this game? "The Dark Heart of Uukrul" There is a MS-DOS and Apple II versions of it. Never made it to the 8-bit. It is a very in-depth Role Playing Game, and had not seen much that got to that level until much later. I am not going to do it myself, but the Apple II version may be disassembled and ported to the Atari. I never did any inter-platform porting myself, I don't even know the memory layout of the Apple II.

However, it is one of the games inspiring some ideals for future editions for Secretum Labyrinth.

• Like 1

Hi Pete,

Been checking out one of the latest versions of King's Gold!

I must say the backgrounds on PAL are much better (apart from those with lots of patterns) and the feature to turn them off is good - I think the game runs more quickly then also?

A fre things that could be improved:

When you get a scroll and it goes off screen the screen glitches and you can see the text again. You could also add a delay before allowing a re-press before it goes off.

There is often a slight glitch above the players where you see a couple of pixels/line - I know you have a complex multiplex system running but I think you could fix this with a bit more masking/clearing. Ususally this is above the spiders and your character. Sometimes at the top of the screen above the row with the weapons on.

If you press a key (on the keybaord!) it seems locks up entirely, no way on continuing?

The hammer still seems pretty feeble compared to the Saber!

You might consider starting a new thread for the latest version(s) as they are getting lost here ;)

I had been looking at smoothing out the texts rolling issue and trying to come up with something where it does not need to turn the screen off. Make processes happen in the background.

There is something going on above the weapons, experience points text lines?

I had been looking at smoothing out the texts rolling issue and trying to come up with something where it does not need to turn the screen off. Make processes happen in the background.

There is something going on above the weapons, experience points text lines?

Scrolls - It's not the rolling, this happens but it flckers on and off the text again afterwards.

The glitching is a single row of a couple of pixes or a line of pixels, most noticable above the spiders but also above you, or at the top of the player above the status bar - possibly above the overlay on the weapon box. Probably where you have overlapping players.

Thankyou, lets try to see if this cleans up those minor problems. I barely pay attention because these things are only there for 1/60th of a second. Also sounds like one of the issues is happening above what most displays can show. I am however re-working the whole thing for Dark Castles where it will just pause for about a quarter second before the text screens down. Have it decompress while the VBI points to a non-game playing interrupt.

Here is the update of "Secretum Labyrinth Kings Gold" that is a public release today. This is game that is part of the Secretum Labyrinth games series, other games include "The Legend", "Xenogenesis" for the 5200, and "Dark Castles" currently in development. The other games are sold on cartridge only and will not be available for download. "Kings Gold" is an executable game designed to showcase the Action Adventure Role Playing Game programming that developed for this game series that is meant to be upgradable and flexible. I am also looking to attract other interested parties that are looking to do this top down style of Adventure type game. It may be possible to adapt it to do turned based RPG AD&D style game play also.

In this update, I made one of the scroll hints less cryptic and confusing to help players get beyond a point in the dungeon. Pressing Select or Option and restarting the game now resets the experience points back to 0. Thankyou for those who bought these things to my attention on here and by private messenger.

Edited by peteym5
  • Like 1

To show my gratitude, I am also linking the latest work in progress video for Secretum Labyrinth Dark Castles. Here you can see the changes made with the sword, Axe, Flail, Arrow, and Magic Wand. Arrows now have limited ammunition, and Magic Wand have limited energy. During the video, you see a different display pop up with some different data. Showing STRength, DEXterity, Total Hit Points, and experience you need to get to the NEXT level. I added the [C]haracter display feature for the Role Playing and Dungeons & Dragons enthusiasts out there. Even though I do know that Secretum Labyrinth is a Semi Role Playing Game.

Edited by peteym5
  • Like 3

Despite Level42 making an interesting post to sell pirated bootleg copies of "SL:King's Gold" in Europe, I am doing one more update today. I am amused by this because "SL:King's Gold" is the free game of the Secretum Labyrinth series. It is also assembled with a very early version of the source code that has not been optimized or downsized and occupies most of the 64K RAM, including the RAM under the OS ROM. It does not run under SpartaDOS. The cartridge games in the series are also too large to fit into RAM, greater than 64K games, so it will be difficult and time consuming for anyone to make the game run on real hardware without the cartridge.

I am including both the Medieval English and Modern English versions of "Secretum Labyrinth:King's Gold" today. Since there has been a lack of comments on this thread, I decided this will be the final update for this game. I am also not going to be posting anymore WIP for "Secretum Labyrinth:Dark Castles" on here. You will need to be checking Atari.IO or Youtube to see if I posted any updates. I will post something when the game is almost complete.

In this update, the final text that pops up had something funny going on in place of an apostrophe. This is what happens when I have to copy and past to and from a word processor that may stick funny characters that are not ASCII into the data. There is a reverse apostrophe character that some word processors use that is beyond character 128. I removed most of them.

I like to say thankyou for all those who did help by previewing "Secretum Labyrinth King's Gold" and pointed out glitches and made suggestions on how I can make a better "Secretum Labyrinth" game in the future.

Edited by peteym5
  • Like 2

I received a private message stating that the pause does not unpause in Secretum Labyrinth Kings Gold. Appears when I was trying to figure out the 5200 version that I was messing around with the keyboard IRQs, Pokey registers, I forgot to change everything back to what was need to run on the 8-bit. This problem only affected Kings Gold as work on a 5200 port occurred last year. The Pause worked fine with the cartridge Secretum Labyrinth The Legend. That had been tested long before it went up for sale. The pause also works on the upcoming 5200 game since that uses a different type of IRQ routine to read the keypad.

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

There has not been any feedback about the last version that demonstrates Multiple Quests with altered screens that will be used in Secretum Labyrinth Dark Castles that will have 4 different quests and random quest. Something I want to see more with this type of game. Did not see any bug reports, nitpicking about grammar in the texts, or 0.001 second gap in the music during screen transition.

Now I am considering a VBXE enhancement for the Secretum Labyrinth series of games. However since VBXE behavior may not 100% properly emulated with Altirra, I could try the enhancing starting with King's Gold for those with real VBXE boards can try it. If I get reports it works correctly, I may incorporate the programming into a retail more elaborate game. I could make it VBXE specific or have it detect VBXE. If not present, it will not allow to play using VBXE and default to 8-bit player/missile graphics only. I am having some discussion with Video61 about the ideal, we still favor leaving it Atari graphics only. The first cartridge game is continues to sell.

It will likely be a bigger cartridge, 1024K AtariMax or 256K+ XEGS because all that will not fit into a 64K Williams board. Ideals I am looking into is keeping the Antic 4 Super IRG screen graphics, but have VBXE set the custom color palette. Use the 80 column mode for the texts and information on top during game play. Now I do know there seems to be an issue with VBXE timing using the color map plus sprites moving over the whole screen. Using too many bus cycles to generate the display, slowing things down .Plus I believe Super IRG Antic 4 screen still looks great. Sprites certainly will not flicker because of player/missile number limitations.

Now SL:Dark Castles is going to be Atari Graphics only. Since we had been busy during this holiday season, the release on new games had been delayed. I am taking advantage of the extra time to see if I can improve Animal Keeper and Dark Castles prior to their release.

Edited by peteym5
  • Like 1