IGNORED

The Ultimate Intellivision Flashback

Byte Knight

MSX and Atari 7800 games seem to be working fine under Mess. They do not cover the entire screen but the audio sounds fine, the video looks good and the performance seems fine. I did hear the 7800 hiccup once but it was minor. Now, to figure out how to get more buttons recognized.

are you able to manually edit an rc file for it. In the adv mame emu it didnt rcognize most of the keypad buttons in its config option but i manually edited them in the admame.rc file and they work fine. The mess folder with the rc file should be something like this /home/pi/.advmess/advmess.rc Edited by pimpmaul69

Did you test the buttons in Window's control panel app called Game Controllers?

I did not even know of this little gem!

I quickly set it up and-

The 2 controllers I took from a console a couple of days ago have both tested fine and the original loose one I had and was using for the Pi setup failed miserably so that is why I could not complete the Pi setup in the first place. Problem solved and I will try the Pi again tonight (off to work now, 8.30am here)

Still not sure why the second controller for the ultimate interface is not recognized though, does a 2 player game need to be setup for this function to operate?

are you able to manually edit an rc file for it. In the adv mame emu it didnt rcognize most of the keypad buttons in its config option but i manually edited them in the admame.rc file and they work fine. The mess folder with the rc file should be something like this /home/pi/.advmess/advmess.rc

I did edit the RC file but it only recognizes buttons 1-4, the side buttons, and the disc.

I also played around with the video resolutions. The Coleco Adam emulator works best with CEDA-3. I think Mess likes CEDA-4 better. I can not get Mess to cover the entire screen though. It might be the games. The main point is that the emulators are working well. I played some 7800 games with my kid.

If you're going to use the hacked sports games that Gernot posted in this thread and you want new box images for the game menu, here you go. I edited the Mattel and Intv boxes to reflect the shortened game play he came up with. Below is a sample. The attached zip file has full resolution images.

post-39531-0-75970600-1423503590_thumb.jpg

hacked sports boxes.zip

• Like 2

so i fixed the overscan issues. first you need to go into the es_systems.cfg and set the intellivision to 1280x720 instead of 1920x1080. (this does not reduce quality, jzintv doesnt work with other settings otherwise.) then you need to go to /boot/config.txt and make these changes and everything works. all other emus that use the "press m for video configuration" needs to be set to 640x480.

#disable_overscan=1
overscan_scale=1
overscan_left=-25
overscan_right=-25
overscan_top=-25
overscan_bottom=-25
framebuffer_width=1280
framebuffer_height=720

so i fixed the overscan issues. first you need to go into the es_systems.cfg and set the intellivision to 1280x720 instead of 1920x1080. (this does not reduce quality, jzintv doesnt work with other settings otherwise.) then you need to go to /boot/config.txt and make these changes and everything works. all other emus that use the "press m for video configuration" needs to be set to 640x480.

What type of TV do you have? A 1080 or 720?

What type of TV do you have? A 1080 or 720?

1080p. However there is a huge overscan problem in retropie. To fix that the config.text needed to be edited. Didnt work in 1080p because jzintv won work in 1080p with overscan turned on. It gives an sdl gfx error. But 720p is full screen this way with no noticeable quality loss that i could see

This is strange. I used your setting and changed the emulator to CESA-1 (640x480) and the emulator took up LESS real estate than when I had the settings to use 1920x1080.

I have never had an issue with Emulation Station not covering the full screen be it in 1080 or 720.

jzIntv looks great in 1080 and takes up the full screen.

Could you be having problems because you are using the Flashback's power supply?

Edited by intvdave

This is strange. I used your setting and changed the emulator to CESA-1 (640x480) and the emulator took up LESS real estate than when I had the settings to use 1920x1080.

I have never had an issue with Emulation Station not covering the full screen be it in 1080 or 720.

jzIntv looks great in 1080 and takes up the full screen.

Could you be having problems because you are using the Flashback's power supply?

on several tvs i have tried plus the web is full of people that have the problem of everything being too big. Christmas carol is an excellent game title screen to test on. I didnt do any cesa-1. Not sure where that is. I just changed it from1080 to 720 not 480 in jzintv. And set aspect ratio on tv to 16:9. Power supply not an issue. 3 different pi's also using usb Edited by pimpmaul69

Setting jzIntv to 1920x1080 works perfectly. Zero over scan issues. Why are you setting it to 720p?

I used your setting to test out other emulators. It only made them worse. I tried Colecovision, Atari 7800, and MSX. Mame and Odyssey already were full screen.

I did not try your setting with jzIntv since jzIntv was perfect already and I went back to 1080p since it is a better setting since my TV is 1080p.

Setting jzIntv to 1920x1080 works perfectly. Zero over scan issues. Why are you setting it to 720p?

I used your setting to test out other emulators. It only made them worse. I tried Colecovision, Atari 7800, and MSX. Mame and Odyssey already were full screen.

I did not try your setting with jzIntv since jzIntv was perfect already and I went back to 1080p since it is a better setting since my TV is 1080p.

I've got it running perfectly @ 1080p with David's setup. In /boot/config.txt make sure you've got these uncommented:

disable_overscan=1

hdmi_mode=1

The reason is for the people whose tv doesnt fit it correctly. As i stated my tv has a screen fit mode so its not a problem for me. It is however a problem for tons of people on google using retropie. Not all tvs set it right without making the 1080p far larger than the screen. Hence why the overscan mode is even available. I had tvs i tested on that had to be fixed to look right. The problem is with inconsistency in high def formats on different tvs. I did this so anyone that uses a tv with this problem this is the fix for them. I am keeping mine with it set this way cause i like to take my flashback to other peoples houses and want video output consistency.

Edit: i # out the framebuffer lines in config.txt and got intellivision to work in 1080p. But the other lines for overscan fixes the overscan issue for tv's with the overscan problem. So no need to run jzintv in 720. Like i said doesnt work on all tvs with your settings in config.txt

so here is the correct config.txt settings for anyone who has a tv that makes the screen too large.

#disable_overscan=1

overscan_scale=1

overscan_left=-25

overscan_right=-25

overscan_top=-25

overscan_bottom=-25

#framebuffer_width=1280

#framebuffer_height=720

Best way to see if jzintv is too big is the title screen in christmas carol. On three sides you should see green. Or at least see the whole bow on the red present. And the bottom left you should see the whole star.

post-30773-0-90073000-1423890220_thumb.jpg

Edited by pimpmaul69

Ok, I gotcha. I've got 3 1080p TV's in my house and my oldest one "zooms in" like you're describing, but I just change the aspect to "Full Native" on the TV and it works fine. Probably an older TV thing...

and my tv calls it zoom fit. Not all tvs have that option though which is why i made a fix for it. Latest settings i posted allows 1080p

So probably the best fix is to set the tv to "native" mode or disable the zoom feature? Most people probably do not even realize there tv is set this way. They may enjoy their tv more after fixing this!

unfortunately not all tv's have the options. They are stuck with a 16:9 ratio (or any other ratio for that matter) that forces it zoomed too much on the pi. Even my tv all aspect ratios are zoomed too much except zoom fit. After making these overscan adjustments all aspect ratios are fixed properly Edited by pimpmaul69

I gather that updating jzintv on the Pi is more involved than simply copying over 6 new files in the bin folder from yesterday's Linux release? I tried doing just that, and the emulator quits with a syntax error. What's needed to apply the update?

I also see that RetroPie card image 2.5.0 beta is out and supports the new Raspberry Pi 2. If anyone jumps in the deep end and tries this out, please let us know the results.

Edited by mthompson

I gather that updating jzintv on the Pi is more involved than simply copying over 6 new files in the bin folder from yesterday's Linux release? I tried doing just that, and the emulator quits with a syntax error. What's needed to apply the update?

I also see that RetroPie card image 2.5.0 beta is out and supports the new Raspberry Pi 2. If anyone jumps in the deep end and tries this out, please let us know the results.

i am going to be doing a couple raspberry pi 2's so i may have to update. We shall see.