IGNORED

7800 Arcade Joystick Sale

UberArcade

Will any of these "other related projects" involve something similar for the 5200? :-o :grin:

It is something I am messing with. I'll only do it if I can get it to look good though.

I have also resumed game development (not 7800) which is going to eat up a lot of my life in the near future.

• 1 month later...

Yeah, I am still not satisfied with playing Pac with any 8-way joystick even the switching ones. Turbo mode is tough overall. I don't like the speed up mode on a real arcade game either since I usually zoom past where I want to turn.

I think the only solution is going to be a new Pac-Man themed joystick with a good 4-way stick on it. Maybe a dual stick Robotron themed one too while I am at it. :)

A Zippy stick could be used that has a plastic plate that can be switched to restrict the joysticks diagonals turning it into a classic 4-way! This was what we did for our vertical Multicade system.

DSCF4211.jpg

..The Hello Kitty art for the top is in preparation.

Edited by Papa

A Zippy stick could be used that has a plastic plate that can be switched to restrict the joysticks diagonals turning it into a classic 4-way! This was what we did for our vertical Multicade system.

DSCF4211.jpg

..The Hello Kitty art for the top is in preparation.

The Multicade boards are great. I have one in a Galaxian cabinet that had been gutted. I just put one of the Happ pac reunion 4 way sticks in the cabinet and I don't play any of the games on there that need the 8-way stick. You can change out the restrictor plate on the Sanwa I use for the 7800 joysticks too. The Zippy has it built on but the Sanwa just snaps in so it isn't much more effort to swap it.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Uber,

Regarding the Aluminum Joystick ball on the arcade stick, Who makes that? ... and do they make a plastic one?

Paradise Arcade Shop makes the aluminum ball tops. You can get a replacement for the Sanwa JLF anywhere though. There are tons of options. The aluminum ones I use also have an adapter on them since the stock Sanwa ones are a little smaller.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

You can specify the stick on the left or right when you order. I still take orders on my website. I have a new model coming out soon for the 2600. :)

http://ClassicJoysticks.com

Man this is a SWEET looking stick!

post-20333-0-59824300-1416551694_thumb.j

But having the stick on the LEFT is just sooooooo wrong!

You might be able to sell a couple of those in the TI SECTION of Atari Age (without the Atari graphic) . ;)

• Like 1

My dream: one of these babies with an option to switch between 8 directions and 4 directions...this is a wonderful joystick, but it's very challenging with 4-way games.

The joysticks that switch from 8 to 4 from the top are not very good. However since I use the Sanwa JLF you can snap on a different restrictor plate like the 4 way one or the square gated one. You may like one of those better for 4 way games. You can get them online for maybe $5. Just 4 tabs hold the plate on. Very easy to switch. Not a perfect solution to have to swap them, but also not difficult.

Yep, you got it. You can also change the actuator to modify the throw of the stick and heaviness of the spring. Those are just held in with a clip. You get very different results when you change these around. This is all driven by the custom joysticks market for fighting games.

There is also an octagon restrictor plate available for the Sanwa. I haven't tried it, but an Octagon might be a good compromise between 4-way and 8-way control. At least you can feel every corner and won't ever hit an unintended direction.

Not trying to derail the thread here, but you can get creative with switchable joysticks. I crafted a specially modified Omnistick 2 to work with draw strings and stuffed into my 8x8x4 inch "universal" Atari 2600 joystick:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/223203-do-you-use-a-homebrew-joystick-post-your-pics/?p=3323166

The Omnistick 2 is an excellent stick that comes stock with a no tools 45 degree rotating restrictor plate, but it is only switchable from underneath the control panel. Ultimark Magstik Plus switches from the top using a pull and twist mechanic but they have an extremely short throw and really bad feel so I do not recommend them. Reliability is bad as the switching mechanism degrades with usage. I tossed my old Magstik in the trash after installing the Omni 2.

Edited by stardust4ever

You can specify the stick on the left or right when you order. I still take orders on my website. I have a new model coming out soon for the 2600. :)

http://ClassicJoysticks.com

The joystick can be on the right side if preferred?

Sweet.

I am still consideringthe option for having it for the right side, my level of interest just skyrocketed. ????