IGNORED

So this exists...

Tarzilla

...but I'm not sure it should.

<Click to Animate>

post-38229-0-40138300-1415850700_thumb.gif

The Environmental version of this was one of my all time favorites, I'm still kicking myself for not picking one up locally for 700 dollars before the rise of Ebay.

I have a lot of different Intellivision games under way, some arcade conversions, some original and I've had the biggest one of them tested on a real console via a CC3, but it is driving me mental not being able to test myself hands on.

So while I wait for one of the new flash boards to become available, I've parked my big items and bring out some of the smaller ones, ones that I may never finish but are serving are tech demos to test something without wrecking an existing 30K+ projects

First one: DoT

-You'll notice the platforms are slightly different, I'm not sure which ones I like yet.

-The card design let's me move the platforms up one level and down one level, not smoothly like the arcade, but a suitable rez/de-rez effect can be done with gram.

-MOBs:having only four aside leads to some challenge with number of discs vs detail of players. Do I use 2 mobs for more detailed players, leaving only 2 discs aside in motion? Or is 3 in play more important than the look of the player?

-The fence that shows up later could probably be done, but how many people even got that far? :) If I remember the platforms also tilted sometimes, that's probably not worth the effort.

-Controller issues. I think the only sane way to aim and move at the same time is to use both discs. Keyboard matrix issues on a single controller would result in the murder of a defenseless Inty if I was playing.

-Speaking of aiming, do we lose one of the MOBs for the aiming cursor, drop the cursor and let the player eye-ball it, or deal with the extra optimization to squeeze the cursor onto appropriate background card?

This is just the beginning of the questions that can come out of an exercise like this. It is definitely easier to design to the console's capabilities than to try to convert an arcade game like this because ultimately, conversion omissions or not..."IS IT FUN?"

• Like 4

-MOBs:having only four aside leads to some challenge with number of discs vs detail of players. Do I use 2 mobs for more detailed players, leaving only 2 discs aside in motion? Or is 3 in play more important than the look of the player?

Why only four? The Intellivision provides eight MOBs. Are you using some for the background? I could imagine that background could be designed completely on the BACKTAB using Color Stack.

Why only four? The Intellivision provides eight MOBs. Are you using some for the background? I could imagine that background could be designed completely on the BACKTAB using Color Stack.

I think he mean 4 MOBs to dedicate to each side. Player 1 gets 4 MOBs, player 2 gets 4 MOBs.

I'm enhancing my arcade controller with a new pcb. Still working on it. But the idea is to map the joystick to controller port 1 and the keypad to controller port 2. This way the inputs do not block each other. Would your game work ok with something like this? I just investigated Night Stalker, D&D, and I was about to try Tron DD today. or would this game need twin sticks (like robotron)?

If using normal controller could you map:

lower left action button = aim left

lower right action button = aim right

top action button = fire

action buttons do not use same pins as joystick.

edit: I see that the arcade version allows aiming up and down and not just left and right, does your version do that?

Edited by grips03

edit: I see that the arcade version allows aiming up and down and not just left and right, does your version do that?

Not currently, the rising and lowering of platforms are do-able from a graphics point of view but I haven't decided if it is worth it

Controller one disc to move

Controller two disc: left or right to move the aiming cross hair, press up to fire, down to block. No how do we move the cursor up and down without an ergonomic twisting of fingers. Can people be expected to hit a side button while holding both controllers?

or

Controller two disc: any direction fires the disc in that 1/16 of a direction like the current Tron discs game. Now how do we block or aim high low ( do we ditch the platform moving up or down?)

or

Controller one keypad (matrix collisions and all) 2-aim up, 8-aim down, 4-aim left, 6-aim right, 1-fire, 3-block

Not currently, the rising and lowering of platforms are do-able from a graphics point of view but I haven't decided if it is worth it

Controller two disc: left or right to move the aiming cross hair, press up to fire, down to block. No how do we move the cursor up and down without an ergonomic twisting of fingers. Can people be expected to hit a side button while holding both controllers?

or

Controller two disc: any direction fires the disc in that 1/16 of a direction like the current Tron discs game. Now how do we block or aim high low ( do we ditch the platform moving up or down?)

or

Controller one keypad (matrix collisions and all) 2-aim up, 8-aim down, 4-aim left, 6-aim right, 1-fire, 3-block

I would recommend:

disc / joystick = move

S1 = top action button = fire

S2 = left bottom action button = aim left

S3 = right bottom action button = aim right

S1 + S2 (held) = block <-- this is really any two action buttons

ditch moving up and down

this way you can move and fire at the same time, all with a single controller

I would recommend:

disc / joystick = move

S1 = top action button = fire

S2 = left bottom action button = aim left

S3 = right bottom action button = aim right

S1 + S2 (held) = block <-- this is really any two action buttons

ditch moving up and down

this way you can move and fire at the same time, all with a single controller

I think the point is that moving with the disc and shooting with the action buttons is excruciatingly uncomfortable on the Intellivision Master Component hardware, so people try to avoid it at all costs.

I think the point is that moving with the disc and shooting with the action buttons is excruciatingly uncomfortable on the Intellivision Master Component hardware, so people try to avoid it at all costs.

Action buttons or keypad buttons?

DISC + Action is natural and works well. DISC + Keypad (such as what Tron Deadly Discs and Night Stalker used) work poorly.

With respect to moving the player around, the arcade lets you move around the platform, automatically jumping from one to the other. Would the game be changed that much if the movement was constrained to strict left right movement, thereby freeing up the disc up/down for other functions?

Action buttons or keypad buttons?

DISC + Action is natural and works well. DISC + Keypad (such as what Tron Deadly Discs and Night Stalker used) work poorly.

I'm holding a controller now. My hands are big enough that I could probably make the buttons/disc combo work if I ditch the rising platform/vertical aim feature, but others might feel different. A control style selection menu might be required.

Biggest problem is I need a Flash Cart to really test. I may have to invest in an eeprom burner for my sanity's sake.

With respect to moving the player around, the arcade lets you move around the platform, automatically jumping from one to the other. Would the game be changed that much if the movement was constrained to strict left right movement, thereby freeing up the disc up/down for other functions?

Can the player move:

up and down as well as left and right on the platforms?

or

only left and right?

Can the player move:

up and down as well as left and right on the platforms?

or

only left and right?

IIRC In the arcade, you can move freely around the platform in pseudo 3 dimensions, you get a "I'm gonna fall off animation" if you get to close to the edge without a platform in sight to automatically jump to. Wait too long and you fall off. Of course the arcade is much higher resolution

IIRC In the arcade, you can move freely around the platform in pseudo 3 dimensions, you get a "I'm gonna fall off animation" if you get to close to the edge without a platform in sight to automatically jump to. Wait too long and you fall off. Of course the arcade is much higher resolution

right, is this how the intv version would work too?

If yes, then the previous recommendation stands.