IGNORED

Atari 2600/7800 Dualshock 2 Adapter Part Deux

CPUWIZ

With this project and all of the custom controller projects coming out, someone should bang out a standard for hardware implementation of Select and Reset over the existing lines. I'll start the ball rolling...

Taking Shawn Sr.'s suggestion of "U+D+L+R" for Reset is a good start. I think it would be workable if we split that up into "U+D+L" for Select and "U+D+R" for Reset. The nice bit about this is it wouldn't take a lot more than a couple of logic gate ICs to implement, and it could also be implemented in software, in future homebrews. (so people with new controllers but no mod could still benefit)

It would probably need to be a first-port only thing, as I see likely collisions with AtariVox and the Keypad controller. The driving controller, regular joystick operation, and paddles shouldn't be able to accidentally trigger the mod. Anybody see any holes?

Holes? Not so much, I can whip that into an 8pin chip, but all 8 need to be connected. ;) I am thinking piggy back on the RIOT, I got all the pins there, I need.

• Like 1

This one is a catch-all for Omega Race, Spy Hunter, and DefenderII/Stargate. Plus, with the Up+Down / Left + Right buttons, you can glitch games like Ms Pac Man, Amidar, etc.

Edit: make L3 / R3 = UDLR and you can have pitfall Harry jump on the ladder!

Edited by toiletunes
  • Like 1

OMG, it works!!!

I can control all 7 signals on both ports now, for any system that uses a DB9 connector and digital signals. Will update the template now.

Just now catching up on this topic. Will look at the templates and see if I can think of anything. Question though - could this be made to work on a Vectrex?

Holes? Not so much, I can whip that into an 8pin chip, but all 8 need to be connected. ;) I am thinking piggy back on the RIOT, I got all the pins there, I need.

It works, UDL is reset and UDR is select. PIC12F629 doing the work, with only 8 connections to solder. :cool:

Tapped with a 3M CHIP-CLIP...

IMG_0916.JPG

• Like 7

Wow! Super impressive work, WIZ.

20ms is longer that a frame, so it should work great with software detection. (for folks that don't want to do the hardware mod)

I take it the longer user button press is edge detected at the controller adapter end, so there aren't a lot of 20ms button "presses".

Is the 20ms a requirement at the PIC end, or would the pic work fine if someone built their own select and reset buttons into an existing 7800 controller with some diodes?

Got you now. Agreed that holding the reset or select lines for 20ms should be sufficient.

Reset and Select from a compatible controller in any game, with a just a few easy connections to RIOT. You have my order! :D :thumbsup:

[edit] IMO this is just as big a development in 7800 controller tech as your dualshock adapter, which is saying a lot. All those NES controller conversions can now do something very cool with those Select and Start buttons.

• Like 1

I should have been more clear, as soon as the PIC detects UDL or UDR, it holds the reset or select line low for 20ms. I figured this should be sufficient, as it is more than one frame.

Got you now. Agreed that holding the reset or select lines for 20ms should be sufficient.

Reset and Select from a compatible controller in any game, with a just a few easy connections to RIOT. You have my order! :D :thumbsup:

[edit] IMO this is just as big a development in 7800 controller tech as your dualshock adapter, which is saying a lot. All those NES controller conversions can now do something very cool with those Select and Start buttons.

IT would be awesome to access Start + Select on a modded NES controller. I noticed this mod requires a PIC chip. Care to elaborate how this works? If there is some way to get this working that would be great, better if I can add Select + Reset to my existing NES -> 7800 controller mod. I wouldn't want to have any wires sticking out the console though.

Common sense tells me I would need to run wires from the Select / Reset switches to the controller somehow, but as there are no unused lines in the controller port, I could imagine a potential homebrew solution getting fugly with external wiring. I'd also love to get some pause action going for 7800 games as well. Unless you're sitting next to the console, hitting the pause button requires a few seconds getting up and reaching fro the console, completely breaking concentration, which could easily result in a death if the gameplay is frantic enough.

:?

What wires? That is what the RIOT modchip is for. With this chip installed in the machine, you can trigger select and reset by connecting buttons in the following way (inside the controller):

Reset:
              Up
              /
GND <- Button -- Down
              \
              Left

Select:
              Up
              /
GND <- Button -- Down
              \
              Right

That is another huge candidate for some sort of reset for sure.

No, I am talking about entering the controller adapter configuration mode, where you can select the current button layout. You know, switch between some of the cool ones that toiletunes made.

My plan is to map SELECT to SELECT and START to RESET. Currently SELECT is used to enter config mode and I want to change that.