IGNORED

Atari 2600/7800 Dualshock 2 Adapter Part Deux

CPUWIZ

I think all 4 shoulder buttons might be accidentally triggered, especially if they're using a config that uses some shoulder buttons.

Really I think your initial idea of L3+R3+Start is good. It may be tricky to do, but thats a good thing.

Alternatively, maybe use just L3+R3 if it's held for a sustained period?

I think all 4 shoulder buttons might be accidentally triggered, especially if they're using a config that uses some shoulder buttons.

Really I think your initial idea of L3+R3+Start is good. It may be tricky to do, but thats a good thing.

Alternatively, maybe use just L3+R3 if it's held for a sustained period?

Yeah, I kind of want to get away from a sustained period, I am a programmer. LOL Maybe I'll make it really ackward, L1+SELECT+R1+START, without delay.

I meant a software autofire. E.g. so that 2 of the buttons on a dualshock might be the regular 2 7800 buttons, and the other 2 might be the same with autofire.

Yep, I will give it a whirl tomorrow, need to ponder on how to configure the speed through the controller. :)

• Like 1

Yep, I will give it a whirl tomorrow, need to ponder on how to configure the speed through the controller. :)

That's easy. Bottom button = left fire. Right button = right fire. Top = right turbo. Left = left turbo. Start = faster turbo (up to 20Hz or so) Select = Slower turbo.

Optionally for two player 7800 variant, use the flippers for fire1 and fire2 in 7800 mode, top flipper for normal, bottom flipper for turbo in 2600 mode operation. Again, Select to decrease speed, Start to increase speed. Clunky, but press L3 + trigger button to enable turbo in 7800 mode. Press R3 + trigger to disable turbo in 7800 mode.

Get full two player control with autofire on both joysticks!!!

Yep, I can go much faster than the console can register button presses, so this will not be a problem. :)

I decided to go with L1+START+SELECT+R1, for about half a second held down, to enter config selection mode. Still need to figure out how to select a speed for the auto-fire.

• Like 1

Throwing out some ideas.... You can always burn an extra config, using one for fast autofire and another for slow. Or you could have another special combo (e.g. L3+R3) that cycles through rapid-enable-fast/rapid-enable-slow/rapid-disable for the square and triangle buttons.

I still don't like the idea of using R3 and L3.

Digital PS controllers prior to the Dual Shock era won't work right with it. These are IMO among the best digital controllers ever made, especially for classic emulation.

The whole idea of this adapter is to work with the Dual Shock (DS2 specifically) line of controllers so not working "right" with the PS1.0 controller is kinda irrelevant.

• Like 2

This thing is pretty much done, I've coded a lot of stuff in the last couple of days and made the code very modular, to make adding different configurations easier. If nobody wants to contribute any kind of config with auto-fire, I am just gonna make a random one I like and call it a day.

• Like 5

I have a few extra ideas for games like Double Dragon etc where up+right+fire = punch - Kung Fu + Chuck Norris have some of this too - but I think most of the major games are covered by now (is there a huge demand for a 2600 Double Dragon controller setup?) so I'm saying 'good enough' before I go nuts trying to make the perfect setup for 400-600 different games. Plus, I'm excited to play.

• Like 1