IGNORED

Atari 2600/7800 Dualshock 2 Adapter Part Deux

CPUWIZ

Scrapping keyboard support, too prone to bugs caused in the whole system. I need to flip outputs to inputs on the fly and keep track of it, depending on config. The keyboard is actually read by flipping directions on the 2600/7800, to select the column to read. Not worth the potential hassle.

Also, I forgot to mention, I can't include Sega Genesis in the same set of configurations, the Genesis has the +5V line in a different place. It needs re-wiring inside the adapter.

This thing is pretty much done, I've coded a lot of stuff in the last couple of days and made the code very modular, to make adding different configurations easier. If nobody wants to contribute any kind of config with auto-fire, I am just gonna make a random one I like and call it a day.

Same set up I already contributed but with auto-fire instead of fire on all fire buttons.

@CPU: Genesis controller support could work. Genesis shares it's VCC with one of the paddle lines. It's tied high through a pull-up resistor to the Atari VCC / Genesis Select. Both paddle inputs are normally high when connected to the Atari. Nomebrew can detect the Genny controller by reading these inputs. The other paddle line is pulled low when C button is pressed, but you know that. Should be easy to implement, but peeps can just use a Genny controller.

Cool, I recoded the way the configuration selection works and now it doesn't matter if a digital or analog controller is connected, the analog sticks simply don't do anything. Saves even more memory. I still have 2 more configs left in the current table and have room for 15 more.

I put a cheat move into the Genesis emulation version, if you pull L2, rapid fire is applied to LEFT RIGHT. Take that Decathlon!

• Like 3

Thanks guys, here is an old shot again, before I added the label. :)

Neato.

I take it this still needs the mod to get Reset/Select functioning, correct? Also, with the mod installed, if I accidentally press down the four directions on a 2600 stick (this is possible), will it screw up the game by triggering the Select / Reset switches?

One of my pet peeves is walking across the room to hit the reset/select switches on my 2600, especially when using extension cables. Would it have killed the developers to simply hit "FIRE" to start a new game after the game over screen? 7800 isn't really affected as much since a lot of games started using selection menus.

I always go Priortity or First Class. I've seen First class get delivered in two days and overnight getting the "next week" treatment. Worse in the winter whenever there's snowstorms in the northern half of the country. I guarantee if your shipping a box from sunny California to balmy Florida, it will pass through and get stuck at a hub in one of the "Blizzard" states! :P

As far as delivering a PS2 to Atari 7800 adapter – Mission accomplished. It looks and feels like a professional piece of hardware with a gorgeous design. All adapters including both joyport ends and the PS2 adapter fit securely and smoothly. Response is fluid and beautiful with no lag – no hiccups whatsoever. Configured settings are saved and not lost on power off.

None of the above should come as a surprise, CPUWIZ is at the helm, and this is just awesome. For the record, it was tested with two different SCPH-100010 PS2 Dual Shock controllers, on an AT85 and A3 console. Results were consistent across the board.

Straight from the man himself:

“L1+R1+SELECT+START (do it in that order), enters config selection mode (blinks rapidly on the analog indicator).
L3+R3, enters rapid fire speed config (blinks even faster on the analog indicator), I think I only used UDLR + XSTO for 8 different speeds.”

As wonderful as it is, hopefully a few things may possibly be addressed:

Port 1 and Port 2 player movements are switched. Buttons belonging to Ports 1 and 2 are properly assigned, but in order to really have this function properly and most practically, I needed to plug the port labeled Port 1 into Port 2 of the console, and the line for Port 2 had to be plugged into Port 1.

Having that in mind, the following has been furnished, ripped from the thread for desired/suggested possible configurations of what has been applied to this prototype. The picture description/name provides a very brief summary of results:

post-18-0-16934800-1418605066_thumb.png

post-18-0-26196400-1418605072_thumb.png

post-18-0-56367900-1418605078_thumb.png

post-18-0-07212700-1418605137_thumb.png

post-18-0-67938300-1418605140_thumb.png

post-18-0-52994200-1418605142_thumb.jpg

post-18-0-43678900-1418605144_thumb.jpg

post-18-0-90207700-1418605145_thumb.jpg

post-18-0-17269600-1418605147_thumb.jpg

post-18-0-25276200-1418605190_thumb.jpg

post-18-0-69367500-1418605194_thumb.png

post-18-0-67355000-1418605196_thumb.jpg

post-18-0-70027900-1418605198_thumb.jpg

Obviously, anything labeled “Fire #a and #b switched is to be expected”, as they were plugged in reversed to accommodate the swapped movement of P1 and P2. However, anything labeled “Fire 1x and 2x switched” [x = a (left) and b (right) buttons] remains switched regardless of how the port lines are plugged into the console.

The “Half hosed” notation is to be expected on a couple of the configs, again due to the need to swap line ports, which no matter how you plug the adapter into the console, roughly one half or the other half of the configuration is either mapped incorrectly or just not registering.

UDR is mapped to Select, UDL is mapped to Start, and seems to be always present under any of the 15 configurations. Perhaps it should be mapped as UDL mapped to Select, UDR Mapped to Start following the left to right order of how the buttons are presented on the controller.

Lastly, I did not notice any real difference with the rapid fire settings (Joust and Galaga were used for testing).

Nonetheless, you have dual action Robotron and the ability to decide whether you want the digital pad input or the analog stick controller for any title you desire is truly amazing. Not only that but support for 2600 titles such as Raiders of the Lost Ark plays so smoothly and without discombobulating from the need of two separate controllers. It gives race car games a brand new approach and feel. No hand cramping, and a joy to utilize…Absolutely love it.

• Like 4