IGNORED

Atari 2600/7800 Dualshock 2 Adapter Part Deux

CPUWIZ

Sort of the last thing I want to do actually.

As much as I like the nostalgia of the original joystick, I've become rather accustomed to the PS controller over the past couple decades. I'd even be happy with a PS1 controller. It's sort of the perfect layout and feel for me plus the quality and precision is great. I'd love to be able to go from PS4 to Atari with the same or similar controller.

And I totally respect your opinion on using pads. ;-)

Nothing beats the bog standard Genesis 3-button pad for playing basic Atari games, IMO is the best choice for cost versus functionality, without an adapter, and mostly works with all 2600 joystick games. The Power Arcade Stick is also a great option, better than any vintage Atari stick, and works extremely well for playing games like Space Rocks and really any joystick game:

91%2BNtG6EwAL._SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Sega-Arcade-Power-Stick/dp/B00H0022D6

Some 6-button Genesis pads may malfunction with homebrew, or any game which attempts to reset the paddle pots. This defect can be corrected by adding a diode between pin 7 and 5 on the Genesis PCB. Also using a Genesis controller with 7800 games that expect a two button controller will cause the game to behave as if both buttons are pressed continuously. Xevious is somewhat playable with a Genesis pad since it gives you continuous autofire.

A Seagull adapter should take care of any compatibility issues and ensure compatibility with other devices which might connect into a Genesis controller port, but I have not tested one. Bear in mind you may or may not be able to remap the buttons, so whichever default arrangement it gives you, you may be stuck with.

Although Atari doesn't really apply here, converting between diamond and 6 button arrangements can be problematic, as fighting games use the diamond for weak/medium kick/punch, and the triggers for strong or high kick/punch. However platform games which use three action buttons would be better suited to mapping ABC to left, bottom, and right on the diamond.

Sort of the last thing I want to do actually.

As much as I like the nostalgia of the original joystick, I've become rather accustomed to the PS controller over the past couple decades. I'd even be happy with a PS1 controller. It's sort of the perfect layout and feel for me plus the quality and precision is great. I'd love to be able to go from PS4 to Atari with the same or similar controller.

Anyone have experience with the above adapters?

Yeah. I find the dpad tends to work better than the thumbsticks for me. Thumbsticks are a little loosey-goosey, while the dpad is much more precise. For instance, in Defender, I have issues reversing direction or moving forward when I dont want to when I am trying to just move vertically. Also, pac man, which plays best with a 4 way stick. I like the Willingham adapter better than the tototek one. The Willingham can also make a dual-shock into an Atari ST or Amiga mouse for the trackball hacks.