IGNORED

Super Smash Bros for Wii U noobs dojo

Rick Dangerous

So I picked up SSB for Wii U this weekend.

I have all the games in the series dating back to the N64 but I've always had them for friends to play. I'm more of a Mario Kart/Mario Party guy when it comes to Nintendo Multiplayer. I have played the other games but never have really taken the time to learn the controls beyond basic or get good at the games. It doesn't help that anyone that plays is amazing and has been playing forever. I have always found the menu system to be convoluted and I'm not sure exactly what mode to play or how to progress.

No longer! I want to get good at this Wii U version so I can play with friends and actually beat some people. This thread is envisioned for anyone who bought the new game and wants to get better, new player or old.

My initial questions:

1. The menu system still seems convoluted to me (though obviously the more you use it the more familiar it becomes.) There are like 4 sub menus and god knows how many game variations. My question is: what is the main single player game I am supposed to be playing to progress? I went into Solo, and played a classic, is that right?

2. What other modes should I be playing to progress in the game?

3. Is training the only way to work on your moves, or is there no real tutorial mode in this game?

4. When you "grab" someone, what is the best followup move?

5. I like using Mario, but is he a weak character? How do you know who to pick as your "go-to" smash character.

Thanks, and looking forward to learning and progressing at this game and seeing what other questions come up.

I actually ordered the Prima guide for the game, which should be arriving today

http://www.amazon.com/Super-Smash-Bros-WiiU-Collectors/dp/0804163596/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1416855473&sr=8-1&keywords=smash+bros+guide

I'll let you know if it's any good, as it's probably a worthwhile purchase if you want to learn the ins and outs of the game.

I have always had good luck with Prima Guides. I remember back in the N64 days liking them better than the "first party" Nintendo Power guides...lol. Let me know what you think of it, may have to pick one up.

Anyone see the point in those Amiibo things? At 31 I feel a little old to be buying figurines... And I try to keep the amount of plastic crap from China at a minimum around my house.

1. The menu system still seems convoluted to me (though obviously the more you use it the more familiar it becomes.) There are like 4 sub menus and god knows how many game variations. My question is: what is the main single player game I am supposed to be playing to progress? I went into Solo, and played a classic, is that right?

There are a bunch of single player modes. Classic, Master Hand and Crazy Hand modes, the board game mode, an actual separate challenges mode, etc., etc. Buy an Amiibo and you can access that portion as well. In Classic mode you can also raise the difficulty by paying with coins. Every few difficulty levels the final boss changes (lower levels is Master Hand, mid levels is Master + Crazy Hands together, higher than that is Master + Crazy Hands and then a shadow boss that kind of ridiculous to beat, and then the highest levels I'm not sure what the final boss is). Needless to say, there's a ton of stuff here to do from a single player perspective. It takes a little while to figure out what the menus do, yeah, but poke around with each one and see what they do. I never really got into the solo portion of a Smash Bros game before, but I'm really enjoying all the solo content the Wii U version has to offer. I typically bounce between the Classic mode to earn coins and try to get through the higher difficulty levels, then I go to the Master and Crazy hand modes which offer over the top challenges at the cost of money or tickets. That is of course between bouts of online play. :)

I picked up the hardcover Prima guide yesterday and a Mario Amibo just to check them out. The guide is great!

The amibo is interesting. It appears you can only feed it upgrades that you wouldn't otherwise use on your custom character, so it's nice that you don't have to chose between them. So far I've only used it in regular Smash mode. Not really sure what other modes (if any) you can use your Amibo in...