IGNORED

Using an HDX with a small tablet device?

Omega-TI

Has anyone on the forum run Fred Kaal's HDX utilities on a small tablet device? These devices seem very affordable and might be just the thing to run as a dedicated hard-drive until someone comes out with an SD based device for the P-Box.

I found one that runs Windows 8.1 with a MICRO USB port for only $99.00...

<< GAMERS VIEW REVIEW >>

<< UNBOXING & SETUP LINK >>

From what I've been told, the ATOM processor it comes with will run all Windows programs, so Fred Kaal's HDX software should run on this.

The major drawback of this unit appears to be that you cannot use a USB device and charge it at the same time.

I'm also anxious to see how Tursi's Classic99 performs on this unit. (That Bluetooth game controller looks cool.)

Apparently, no one has tried this yet, so I figured I might as well be the Guinea pig and go for it. After all since Tursi's Classic99 and the HDX modification can utilize the same exact files in a FIAD directory, I'd get the best of both worlds, emulation on-the-go, and a functional dedicated 'almost' TI hard drive I can carry to Chicago next year (if all works out).

It's been my experience that HDX doesn't work well unless you're using a real serial port. The USB emulated serial ports tend to be dodgy. Don't know for certain if this is the case 100% of the time, but no USB to serial adapter has ever worked for me.

If anyone else has had success using a USB to serial device, I'd be interested to know the model adapter you have.

I'd be interested in seeing how this works out for you. It would be nice to have a small inexpensive tablet permanently hooked up to the PEB for HDX file storage.

I'll let you know how it works out, it's scheduled to arrive December, 2nd so hopefully not too much longer after that, of course I'll have to also get a micro USB adapter for it first.

I've been using a Keyspan P/N USA-19HS (pictured below) with my Dell Laptop for about a year now. It's been working great with no problems.

What chipset is that? I have tried using a Prolific PL2303 and get no joy. Of course, I am also using Windows XP x64 Edition, so that could be the problem, too, and I have yet to try it on Windows 7.

As a trivial aside, even though Windows Server 2003, from which XP x64 is descendent, is supported until July of 2015, and XP x64 had the same roadmap originally, Microsoft has decided to deliberately prevent XP x64 from obtaining those updates. However, I found that I can run the updates manually and they will install successfully. Thanks, Microsoft.

Edit: never mind my question, I found information here which seems to be accurate.

I am also using Windows XP x64 Edition, so that could be the problem, too, and I have yet to try it on Windows 7.

Interesting, I originally used it on my older XP Toshiba laptop and now on my Windows 7 unit it works fine on both. This thing is also supposedto play well with MAC's as well.

Here is a 'cut & paste from their website...

Key Features
  • Certified: Microsoft WHQL approved
  • Compatible with Apple Sandbox applications
  • High Speed: Supports 230 Kbps - twice the speed of a built in serial port
  • Detachable Cable: Use adapter with any USB cable (up to 5 meters long)
  • LED: Shows adapter status and data activity
  • Plug & Play: Appears as standard COM port
  • Mobile: Easy to carry - weighs just 2 oz.
  • Bus Powered: No external power adapter required
  • Analytic Tools: Includes Windows line monitor and data trace software
  • Field Upgrade: Easy to update over time with free software downloads
  • Easy Expansion: Supports use of multiple adapters on one PC
  • Compliant with the Federal Trade Agreements Act (TAA) for GSA Schedule purchases
Typical Applications

Connect older serial devices such as mice, keyboards, modems, GPS devices, barcode scanners, point-of-sale devices, lab equipment, programmable logic controllers (PLCs), digital signage and AV equipment to your new Mac or PC.

System Requirements
See "Support" tab for drivers.

Windows:

• An available USB port
  • Compatible with Windows 98, 98 SE, Me, 2000, XP, 2003 Server, Vista, 7, 2008 Server R2, 8, 2012 Server, 2012 Server R2, and 8.1. Compatible with 32- and 64-bit versions.
Macintosh:

• An available USB port
  • Compatible with Mac OS 8.6 through 9.x, Mac OS X 10.2.8 through 10.10. Compatible with 32- and 64-bit versions.
  • Compatible with Apple Sandbox applications

If that one works well with PLCs, it actually has a reasonable chance of working in this application, Ohm. PLCs and their serial message traffic (using RS-422 or RS-485) are usually low-speed and often quite intolerant of signaling delays (anything greater than 15-25mS or so). A lot of serial adapters support the other two protocols, but this is the first USB adapter I've seen that looks like it does that too. I may need to get a couple of these to test out at work. . .

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...