IGNORED

Atari 400 arrived and faulty

traindriver69

Hi all

The Atari 400 I had brought off ebay came today but its not working when I plug it in I get a blue screen and when I use the keyboard It puts the letters on the screen but not one after the other and only on the top two lines.post-40858-0-53078600-1417174280_thumb.jpgpost-40858-0-27946400-1417174288_thumb.jpg I had a look at the atari field service manual and for a blue screen it says change the pokey chip so I swapped it with one from my Atari 800xl which i belive are the same tell me if I am wrong but still the same any help please.

Shipping 400/800 has it's risks since neither is a single board computer.

Since you'd be needing to pull it apart anyway I'd just pull the boards out, put back in and it might work straight up.

But yes, I'd be looking at the Ram and Antic if it doesn't work properly, Pokey has nothing to do with display generation and wouldn't cause the symptoms you have if faulty.

• Like 1

Tried changing the memory chips around and now all I get is a black screen on the 400 whichever order they are in its driving me crazy swapped the Antics back around to there original computers and now the 800xl is back and running so does that prove at least the 400 Antic is faulty or would it give you a black screen on a 800xl.

I have now took all the chips off the memory board and the CPU board put them all back in again and got the blue screen back again but no text cant type in any letters .if I put in star raiders cart the game boots up and works for a short time then crashes but if I put basic cart in nothing happens.put the ANTIC back in from the 800xl but still the same anyone any ideas please.

Check the internal +12/-5V supplies, -5V is used for the power LED and I believe the only other thing both are used for are 8/16 kbit RAM chips on a memory card. If one of these is out of specifications it could be causing memory instability.

A complete 48K RAM upgrade for the 400 is only $29.95($25.95 for just the board/jumpers) + shipping from Best Electronics, with one of these installed the only significant difference between the 400 and a 48K 800 is the keyboard and the monitor jack.

PS: Instructions on upgrading a 16K RAM board to 48K are attached to the following post:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/109732-atari-400-48k-memory-upgrade/?do=findComment&comment=1326701

Edited by BillC

On the 400 PWR board at the long red connector J201 you will see labels -5, +5b, +5a, gnd, +12. Those labels are not white but are green covered metal, so harder to see. +12 is pin 2, gnd is pins 3 and 4, +5a is pins 5 and 6, +5b is pin 7, and -5 is pin 18 of 20.

If there is someone nearby with a working 16K RAM board from an 800 or another 400, you could swap it in to see whether your RAM is good. Or upgrade to 48K as posted above.

Just checked them getting -4.91v at pin 18, 12.18v at pin 2 and 4.89v at pins 5,6,7 so does that sound right Atari 400 are not as common over here so can't borrow a memory to try it will be ordering the 48 upgrade from best electronics but would have liked to get some life out of it as will have a long wait on the parts coming.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all

Have now received the 48k upgrade from best electronics soldered the wires and plugged it back in and now the Atari is working but for some reason the picture is getting some bad interference if I plug the old 16k ram board the picture is perfect but of coarse the Atari is not working than because the ram board is faulty.but as soon as I plug the 48k board in the picture is bad.

any ideas please.

You basically have told us the 16k ram board is bad so you can either replace the bad chip on that board or just replace that board.

dirty picture..

make sure you have cleaned and re seated everything...

check power levels with new boards in...

make sure taroids are on all cords going in and out of the 400

maybe some capacitors are not up to the job on the power supply or memory cards....

someone might compare a clean video looking memory card against a dirty video looking memory card and report the differences...