IGNORED

RAPTOR v2014.11.29

CyranoJ

About lz77: never used it before. What is a good compressor for windows and what modes does the unpack routine support? I read that there are atleast 5 modes with lz77 compression.

Please use punctuation, this is not Twitter and there's no contest on who will write the shortest message in the least number of characters ;).

Anyway, given that Ray's pages are back, and the source is available, and it's only 2-3 pages long (even the packer), I'm sure that it'll take about 5 mins to answer these questions by yourself :).

Edited by ggn
  • Like 3

Ray does not mention anything about supported modes so I asume all modes are supported. Now looking for a good win32 lz77 compressor. Will try to find a one.

I am typing sometimes on mobile phone that kbd sucks so thats why my text are short.

Why? It's not like you need to compress things to get something on screen.

I know you don't need to use that to display something. But to decompress new data/lists when going to a new level.

Today I did play around with the animation example, it did change the option

dc.l 0 ; sprite_active ; sprite active flag

Change it from is_active to 0, 1 and other numbers but the sprite is still enabled, this option is meant to disable that object right ? Maybe it's meant for other things but I thought active sprites are only displayed.

I did try it for the background and sprite and both but cannot set one non-active.

Secondly I looked, I haven't find an option to play the animation backwards only by making new graphics and a new object. For a small project I am doing I needed some animation, I get it to work both ways but by using 2 objects and 2 gfx, The second has all frames revert. Would be nice, I could just reuse the original gfx.

Ofcourse I could also build the reverse gfx from the original gfx I have and in main code copy it into mem reversed but a simple flag that sets the animation direction would be nice.

Me again ;)

I did try to get a 24-bit picture displayed, I checked all settings several times, I cannot find the error here.

I also get different results, a 24-bit BMP shows weird, when the same BMP is converted to TGA it looks better but not the colors. I use the

dc.l no_CLUT ; sprite_CLUT ; no_CLUT (8/16/24 bit) or CLUT (1/2/4 bit)

This would mean the colors are not from CLUT table but from image.

According to the manual the function

RAPTOR_GFXConvert (EX-02a)
This function will convert the specified image (Windows BMP 4/8/16/24 bpp or TGA
16/24 bpp) to Jaguar Bitmap format.

The routine would auto-detect the format I guess

24-bit images are 3 bytes so I changed the following

In _RAPAPPS.S

raptor_video_mode equ vidRGB16 to vidRGB24

In _RAPINIT.S

I did change the colordepth to 24 and these fields for *2 to *3 because 24-bit will use 1 extra byte

dc.l 320*240*3 ; sprite_framesz ; size per frame in bytes of sprite data *** 24-bit values are 3 bytes
dc.l 320*3 ; sprite_bytewid ; width in bytes of one line of sprite data *** 24-bit values are 3 bytes

dc.l 320*3 ; sprite_gwidth ; GFX width (of data) *** 24-bit values are 3 bytes

mytest 24 bit.zip

post-2754-0-89311600-1417681723_thumb.jpg

post-2754-0-36801700-1417681732_thumb.jpg

I did test it with 320x240x4 no succes the picture is totally scrambled so it seems the function doesn't support 24bpp.

Also displaying a raw 24bpp / 32bit picture converted with gfxconv does not display right with the raptop list, will test some more with 16-bit

Edited by TXG/MNX

Did another test

Used a picture 320x240 16-bit BMP file

When I user the raptop gfxconvert function the output looks bad, when I convert the same file manually to 16-bit rgb it works fine.

In the raptor examples an rgb sprite is converted to jaguar format without issues.

Any idea what is causing the issue with converting ? Is it a limitation when using big data files like this .bmp file I try to convert from bmp to rgb with the raptor function?

mytest 16 bit.zip

post-2754-0-00429100-1417697764_thumb.jpg

post-2754-0-70456200-1417697774_thumb.jpg

From experience 16bit support is very flaky in most art programs - usually something weird happens and the colours come out bad. When making tripper I ended up making a 16bit TGA manually (i.e. imagemagick converting the pic to raw 16bit and then using a home cooked program to slap a tga header). You might want to check that out if you like.

Edited by ggn
  • Like 1

When saving as a 16 bit BMP, there are two modes most programs save in - REAL 16 bit (RGB565), and 15 bit (XRGB1555). When I'm working on the 32X, I need the latter. For the Jaguar, you'd need the former. Two more points - BMPs are always in PC format, i.e., little endian. The Jaguar is going to want the data in big endian format. And finally, the Jaguar 16 bit RGB is actually RBG556, not RGB565. Converters need to take all this into account.

Not for RAPTOR, it's designed to take the windows little endian format so people don't have to arse around.

Yeah, if you can have the function deal with the BMP directly, that's much easier on the user - they just include some BMPs with their project. They just need to make sure they're in the proper format.

• Like 1