IGNORED

Run Integer Basic programs under Prodos and from hard drive

Iamgroot

Here is the link to download a modified version of Integer Basic that works under Prodos and has almost 5 megs of games on a hard drive.

http://mirrors.apple2.org.za/ftp.apple.asimov.net/unsorted/Int.Bas.32MB.hdv.zip

Some IB programs contain disk access, but since the Ctrl-D commands are a DOS 3.3 thing and Basic.system is disabled, programs that have DOS commands will not work.

A work-around is to first BLOAD the binary file from the applesoft prompt. Then launch the altered Integer Basic. Type LOAD by itself and press RTN. You will be prompted for the IB program and once loaded will return to the IB prompt. Then LIST the program and remove the Disk commands from the listing. You won't be able to SAVE the listing back to disk, but at least you have an unaltered listing and you should be able to RUN the program without any problems and the binary file is already in memory.

IB programs that use READ and WRITE will also not work and there is no work around.

Some new commands have been programmed into Integer Basic.

They are:

1) Ctrl-C now exits back to the IB prompt during a listing (badly needed)
2) FP replaces the command DSP and reconnects Basic.system without any problems.
3) & replaces the second DSP command to allow ampersand calls. (not tested)
4) Type LOAD by itself and press RETURN to get a prompt to enter a filename to load and IB program.

Enjoy using Integer Basic under Prodos and launching from a hard drive.

Rob

[...]

Wow, for sure. Surprising that Woz never ran into that and wanted to add it himself... especially since you can't even list a line number range (i.e. LIST 100-200). I guess hitting the reset button was just as easy; just re-enter basic with ctrl-C. Just be careful not to ctrl-B it.

You have to remember that Woz did not have source code or an assembler when he programmed IB. And once entry points into IB have been established, then later on down the road when changes are made to IB, you cannot just insert a little bit of code without changing everything. So, there is a lot of wasted space where a JUMP is made out of a routine, then some code, then a JUMP back into the routine. It looks like he wanted to keep the Verb's address for lo and hi bytes on a page boundary

I did re-assemble IB without all the JMP's back and forth and saved almost a page and a half (almost a full block). But decided not to post it since almost all of IB was changed and I don't know how many unsupported entry points are used in any of the IB programs.

The Ctrl-C fix was very easy with only 14 added bytes and no changes to IB. But for the most part, the code is pretty tight, where you can't add anything without taking something away.

The MLI based LOAD command replaces the cassette LOAD and SAVE commands within IB and left no room for an MLI based SAVE command.

• 1 month later...

This is the final update. The "&" has been programmed in to Integer Basic to catalog a directory. Instructions are also on the disk image on work-arounds to run any game that has a DOS disk command in the listing. Theoretically, all Integer games on this disk should run under Integer Basic and all binary games should run under Prodos.

This disk image got buried deep.

ftp://ftp.apple.asimov.net/pub/apple_II/images/games/collections/Int.Basic.Pdos8.2mg.zip

Enjoy!

• 7 years later...
On 12/2/2014 at 1:10 PM, Iamgroot said:

Here is the link to download a modified version of Integer Basic that works under Prodos and has almost 5 megs of games on a hard drive.

http://mirrors.apple2.org.za/ftp.apple.asimov.net/unsorted/Int.Bas.32MB.hdv.zip

Some IB programs contain disk access, but since the Ctrl-D commands are a DOS 3.3 thing and Basic.system is disabled, programs that have DOS commands will not work.

A work-around is to first BLOAD the binary file from the applesoft prompt. Then launch the altered Integer Basic. Type LOAD by itself and press RTN. You will be prompted for the IB program and once loaded will return to the IB prompt. Then LIST the program and remove the Disk commands from the listing. You won't be able to SAVE the listing back to disk, but at least you have an unaltered listing and you should be able to RUN the program without any problems and the binary file is already in memory.

IB programs that use READ and WRITE will also not work and there is no work around.

Some new commands have been programmed into Integer Basic.

They are:

2) FP replaces the command DSP and reconnects Basic.system without any problems.
3) & replaces the second DSP command to allow ampersand calls. (not tested)
4) Type LOAD by itself and press RETURN to get a prompt to enter a filename to load and IB program.

Enjoy using Integer Basic under Prodos and launching from a hard drive.

Rob

I thought the Int.Bas.32MB.hdv.zip file was renamed and relocated to the following:

12 hours ago, Wyatt Wong said:

I am not sure what happened back then.  I think I had to re-upload the image due to problems on the original volume.  And to distinguish the difference between the newly uploaded disk and the one I requested should be taken off Asimov, I gave it a slightly different name in case the first one didn't get taken down right away.

Int.Basic.Pdos8.2mg.zip  is the most current and working one.

Edited by Iamgroot