IGNORED

Zelda U

Atariboy

Here's the first gameplay demonstration of Zelda U. It also reconfirms the Fall 2015 date while detailing that Star Fox U will release sometime before Zelda does.

I don't like the slow motion jumping and I hope there's the option of manual control of Epona, but looking good. :)

Looks great. I got the impression that Epona is manually controlled with a little AI assist when there are oncoming obstacles.

It looks to me like it works like travel did in the two DS games, with Epona moving on her own to the marker that the player set with you free to worry about things like combat.

But I hope that we have the option to manually control her as well.

Edited by Atariboy

It looks to me like it works like travel did in the two DS games, with Epona moving on her own to the marker that the player set with you free to worry about things like combat.

But I hope that we have the option to manually control her as well.

DS-style travel sounds like a reasonable control scheme. I hope the gameplay is as open as it looks. I'd love a throwback to NES Zelda where you're left on your own, able to travel at will to the extents of your current abilities. Either way, releasing a new Zelda game is certainly an effective method to get me to buy a Wii U.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

A Zelda U delay has, for all intents and purposes, been confirmed by its producer by stating that releasing it in 2015 is no longer the priority. They wouldn't be leaving the door open for it slipping to 2016 if there wasn't the best of chances that they're going to need that extra time.

Happily, my Wii and Wii U backlog remains substantial so it's only to my benefit. But stinks for many fans and Nintendo themselves. Zelda will again all but certainly be their console's swan song for the third generation in a row. Twilight Princess was at the end of the GameCube's life cycle (Ported to the Wii for its launch, but a GCN title at its heart), Skyward Sword was Nintendo's last major in-house project for the Wii, and now this.

And not only will Zelda again not do much to grow the Wii U by being such a late arrival, but they're faced without anything that appears to be a major AAA 1st party release in the current slate of announced titles for the Wii U. Just smaller, more modest projects like Mario Maker compared to titles like Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash Brothers last year.

Hopefully they put their full marketing muscle behind Xenoblade Chronicles X, instead of treating it as the red headed stepchild like they did the first time.

Edited by Atariboy