IGNORED

Your Atari Monitor History

ClausB

1980: 11" GE(?) B&W, RF only

1984: 13" C1702, luma/chroma (also my 1st color TV, hooked to a VCR)

1985: 11" NAP mono green, luma only (for DT-80 and ACE80)

1988: 19" Samsung TV, composite or RF

1993: 25" Sanyo TV, composite or RF

2006: 46" Sony rear-projection HDTV, S-Video

2011: 19" Dynex LCD HD, S-Video

2014: 55" LG LCD, composite (just got it, haven't tried Atari on it yet, looking forward to Star Raiders)

I started with an electrohome black and white and an RCA XL100 12" TV

Later I purchased an Tandy monitor (composite video and audio) which was very nice. I also used a Sanyo amber screen (again it also had audio). Tandy died after use as a TV for years... the Sanyo amber screen was given away to a satellite dish installer.

Then I purchased a Commodore 1801 which I was able to get the chroma/luma separation. It dies and was thrown out in the 90's.

After that died I bought a 1701. Donated it... regretted it and bought another one.

Now I use a Dell 1908 monitor (DVI) fed by a DVDO iScan upscaler. it's fabulous, but sometimes the 1701 is better from a Nostalgia perspective.

My list is pretty short:

A (Sears?) 13" color TV with my 600XL to start off in 1983..

My 130XE saw me upgrade to a Magnavox color monitor. I forget the exact model number, but it's a popular one.. I've seen it on TV and in movies more than a few times. It had composite and digital RGB inputs. I used the RGB with my Amiga later on.

These days I use a 1702 with whichever machine is my primary at the moment.

And my XEGS and 7800 share my 34" Sony Wega HD CRT in the living room.

After Christmas 1982 I hijacked the kitchen TV which must have been a 13" color Hitachi with eight station keys, individual mechanical tuning knobs and an elegant golden case. The Atari was attached via a PAL antenna connector. <br />

<br />

As it was missed in the kitchen I soon got a 12" Taxan Vision EX color monitor with a nice removable, smoke-colored anti-glare screen, a cinch composite video input and a 3,5mm mono audio input (requiring a custom cable) which is still working 31 years later. It was in daily use for about four years and occasionally thereafter. (It also has a rectangular analog RGB connector which I have never used.) It came with a plastic screwdriver for the adjustment pots and I still have the brochure with the handwritten price info (adding a hefty amount to the already outrageous price for my Christmas Atari setup - I still wonder how I would react if my kids asked for a Christmas present of this magnitude...)<br />

<br />

The 800 finally had to cede its place to a Mega ST with the magnificent SM124 around 86/87 which was superseded by a TT with a MAG 17" VGA monitor around 91/92. That MAG only died after I changed my daily workhorse to a PC in late 96. An SM 124 is still around but I think it's a later model. (I did have a 14" RGB for the ST - actually for a 'mupid' videotext terminal - but foolishly dumped it a couple of years ago as it didn't work with the Jaguar and I couldn't think of any other use.)<br />

<br />

Today my son uses an old Philips LCD with a 130XE (with mixed results) but the 15$ used Sony Trinitron TV simply took up too much space on his desk. <br />

<br />

I do have an 1802 but we didn't get it to work in color with the 130XE. <br />

<br />

While I spurned them in my youth I'd love to have an amber monitor to go with the XEP80 (and generally for the cool look).

Edited by slx

I started off with a little 12" B & W Sampo we got at Kmart for around $70. The funny thing is I just sent it to the recycling. It still worked after all of these years but I just couldn't justify keeping it since it's pretty much worthless.

About a year after that my mom gave me her little color TV. I think it was 13" but color made a huge difference in my "experience". I don't think I ever used anything else with my Atari 8-bits.
I knew a girl who had an actual monitor for your Atari 800. This was before I got my system. Her dad was a lawyer so he had the cash and purchased everything. I don't think she really appreciated it and so she'd never want to play with it. She was also kind of cute but, unfortunately, I don't think she liked me that way so I'd go over there and wouldn't get computer or girl action. That was the day I learned life wasn't fair. :grin:

• Like 2

Plain old Emerson 13" color TV used with my original Atari 800. I think I just saw it in storage last weekend when getting all the Christmas decorations.

Later on I had an 800XL used mostly for games on a 21" panasonic 15-system capable TV. (Living in Germany at the time.) (I still have this monitor and someday it will be used to build a floor-standing 8-bit arcade system. So I tell myself everytime the wife suggests tossing it.)

I have an older Dell LCD now that pretty much sucks for modern computers, but has a composite port and is plenty good enough for the Atari.

Started with a broken, open frame, green phosphor monitor I bought from Haltek<famous old school electronics surplus in Mt. View> for $100. Easy fix, bad 74LS00 that was used to generate sync. Started using it with my Super Elf and graduated to Atari when I did. Broke the tube in some accident I can't remember, open frame-dropped a book on it or something. I even used it for a clone that had CGA with composite out.

Next was a 1702 that I still have. I thought I had an 1802 also but really foggy on that.

Then I got a Magnavox Color 80. That is probably my favorite monitor of all time. I had it set up so I could use it for both my Tandy and Atari at the same time. I did something gross to the CGA section and rendered it unusable so I sold it off for a few bucks.

I still go through thrift shops and look at LCD TVs with composite inputs. I think I have two or three, more then enough. Between the 1702 and the LCD TVs, I think I am set for life.

Originally had Amdek 13" : both Amber & Green screens

Next was C 1702 and I have used these exclusively for many years.. still have three of them.

I can't remember for sure but weren't the CBM 1702s made by Goldstar (now Lucky Goldstar or LG for short)? Either that or there were some similarly functioning and popular monitors in use by them.

My first was the family 19" color TV (Sylvania, I think, or maybe a Zenith), in the living room where Mom & Dad hung out, so that limited playtime. A few months later I think my parents got a new TV and that old TV ended up in my bedroom for use with the VCS. I used that old TV for the next 6-ish years with my VCS, then my 400 and finally my 800 until I left for college with my shiny new ST and SC1224 (?) monitor. When I got finally back into 8-bits recently, I picked up a small 13" CRT Sylvania TV at the local Goodwill and that's what I use currently with my 7800, 8-bit computers and Flashback 2.

I started with a green, monochrome KFC (yes, that was the actual brand name), graduating to a Commodore 1802.

The 1802 got this high-pitched buzzing that wouldn't go away and it drove me up the wall, so I got a used C= 1902A.

Years later, the 1902A burned out, so I gave it to my cousin (who knew someone that was able to fix it for him) and bought a used 1701.

I still have that 1701 and still use it with my 800, 600XL & 800XL (whichever I happen to have out). :)

9" Panasonic TV was for my first 800.

Amdek Amber monochrome

Sony 13" TV

Commodore 1902 (I think)

Magnavox multi-input that served both XL and 1040ST

Mitsubishi Diamond Scan Analog, TTL, and Composite. Used it for several years with the ST and Atari and XEP80, until the monitor died.

Various PC XGA monitors used with the Atari by All-in-Wonder video capture card. The AIW is the best display I ever have found for the Atari. Moved to flat panel monitors when they became available.

-Larry

I still use mine today, bought in 1985, a Sanyo CD3195C

SanyoColourDataDisplay_zps7d37aa51.jpg

But over the years I used plenty monitors on different computers/consoles (all except my Sanyo were left behind in the UK)

I think far left is the Commodore 1901, next to it the famous Philips 8833, next to it my Sanyo, next to it is the fantastic Commodore 1084-P, and last on the right a Philips 8833-II (of which I had three).

gamingsetup_zps97a098b8.jpg

Edited by high voltage
  • Like 1

Funny thing about monitors though... I had an 800XL and I was quite oblivious to teh fact that it had inferior video output. In the beginning it was used with RF TV's... eventually I got a composite monitor and an amber screen (used with a switchbox). It wasn't until the 130XE came out that I saw an XE connected to a monitor that supported chroma/luma. Pretty soon after I bought a 130XE and a Commodore 1802 monitor... I had no idea that 800xl video mods were pretty easy to do, even for a klutz like me.

It's strange because I read a ton of magazines, went to user group meetings and read everything available to be on BBS's and Usenet (someone used to dump the Atari 8 usenet groups to text and upload them to the BBS).

Once you've used a chroma/luma monitor with an XE (or a "fixed" XL), there's no going back.